Peachtree Hoops: Real Games Lost #5, Utah Jazz Vs. Atlanta Hawks

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

ATLANTA GA - DECEMBER 07:  Damien Wilkins #3 and Josh Powell #12 of the Atlanta Hawks defend the basket against Derrick Favors #14 of the New Jersey Nets at Philips Arena on December 7 2010 in Atlanta Georgia.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that by downloading and/or using this Photograph User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Lest we forget that if not for this on going lockout, the Atlanta Hawks would have hosted the Utah Jazz tonight at Philips Arena. It also continues a tough stretch of games that the Hawks would have had to start the season if it had happened. 

The Jazz are a team that I consider to be in transition. They are likely parting ways with their free agent forward Andrei Kirilenko but have a talented trio of frontcourt players in Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap and ex Georgia Tech standout Derrick Favors. The Jazz have quite a bit of money tied up in Jefferson and Milsap but it is clear that Favors is the future in their frontcourt.

I am not nearly as confident in the Jazz without Jerry Sloan on the bench and with Deron Williams in New Jersey but this team still has some talent for coach Tyrone Corbin. I am not sure if Devin Harris is who the Jazz think of as their answer at point guard but you certainly can do a whole lot worse.

Of course we will never know what would have happened in tonight's game. I would have enjoyed watching Josh Smith and Al Horford matching up with Jefferson, Milsap and Favors. Also Harris has tormented the Hawks in the past from the point guard position. It would have been interesting to see what kind of effect Kirk Hinrich and Jeff Teague could have had in slowing him down.  

di
di

View the full article