• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poll: Make a big trade and have it blow up or stick with the status quo?

Admin

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it needs to be said that "blowing up the team" and making a significant trade a two totally different things. The Hawks could most definitely trade two or three players to bring back help at certain positions and improve or still remain a quality team because they would still have Joe, Teague and most likely Horford. Blowing up the roster suggests they hold a firesale to trade everyone for draft picks. Two different things.

I didn't say a trade to blow the team up, I said "Make a big trade and have it blow up or stick with the status quo" which means that we make an attempt at a big trade and it fails and blows up in our face. Something like trading 2-3 starters for 1 superstar and have that player suffer a career ending injury or have him sign someplace else as a FA and we get nothing in return, which to me says that the trade blew up. The intention of this thread is to determine whether or not we should risk a trade like that or should we stick with the status quo.

Agreed that blowing up the team intentionally is an entirely different thing.

• Premium Member

I didn't say a trade to blow the team up, I said "Make a big trade and have it blow up or stick with the status quo" which means that we make an attempt at a big trade and it fails and blows up in our face. Something like trading 2-3 starters for 1 superstar and have that player suffer a career ending injury or have him sign someplace else as a FA and we get nothing in return, which to me says that the trade blew up. The intention of this thread is to determine whether or not we should risk a trade like that or should we stick with the status quo.

Agreed that blowing up the team intentionally is an entirely different thing.

I know you didn't, but a couple of posts in this thread referred to blowing the team up.

Well I feel a need to clarify my stance. I don't mind standing pat because I was already predicting that the team will get blown up in 2013!!! 2013!!! regardless but if say a trade for Dwight were to happen and backfire I wouldn't mind it either because all it would do is accelerate the 2013!!! 2013!!! plan.

I don't think blowing the team up is necessary at this point. I think the "core"just needs to be changed (removing one player from the group while adding a new one).

Well that would technically still be blowing up the core because you are removing a member from the old one and forming a new one with the next guy.

• Premium Member

Well that would technically still be blowing up the core because you are removing a member from the old one and forming a new one with the next guy.

I agree, but altering the "core" and blowing up the team are still two different things.

I agree, but altering the "core" and blowing up the team are still two different things.

Semantics really. Alright, let's settle on "remodeling" the "core" then. No need to tear down a wing just put a sledgehammer through some drywall and expand the bathroom.

• Premium Member

Semantics really. Alright, let's settle on "remodeling" the "core" then. No need to tear down a wing just put a sledgehammer through some drywall and expand the bathroom.

Pretty accurate analogy. Well done.

Edited by Jody23

Its tough to vote without knowing what the trade would be.

This is very good draft coming up for 2012 (unlike last year). I'd love to get a top 10 pick. The Hawks could definately fill their hole for post scorer with the right pick in this draft.

I voted yes but its not a true yes b/c I'd probably decline most trades that do not include a post player or top 10 pick.

• Premium Member

I think I can critique the team without being negative...

For as long as they wear our colors, I will support these guys. But it's time to see what a dynamic change will do for us. I say we make that move for the good of the franchise. Not necessarily a fire sale.

What's going to suck is watching any of our players become the missing link for somebody. They're all very good players. Just...put together, their ceiling is probably a very good 2nd round series. We need a guy that can carry the team and put a face on it.

• Premium Member

this is the most annoying team in sports.

TNT this train wreck if they continue playing this lifeless brand of basketball.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I'm tired of highly inconsistent basketball from the Hawks. This is a team that will finish around the 5-6th seed. They just aren't bad enough to have the hopes of the draft, and no where good enough to believe they'll make a deep run in the playoffs. I would, as a fan, be more excited by the prospects of starting over than watching this team die a slow death.

Teague has played 25 games as the Hawks official starter, how many has he played with Al? half? no 11 games. After so many years of waiting for a PG that can play defense, break down a defense and get to the rim, shoot a lil, lead the team in assists, we just dump him for a PnR PG because he doesn't fit will Al who is out for the rest of the season. SMH.

By the way is LD's offense heavy in running a PnR offense - just asking?

When Tony Parker 1st entered league he couldn't shoot, had low assist numbers, could only get to rim ala Teague, he couldn't run the PnR with TD. He learned because he had a great coach who was willing to live with his mistakes. TP's 1st 3 years - 30mpg/9.9ppg/4.3apg - 33mpg/15.4ppg/4.9apg - 30mpg/9.9ppg/4.3apg compare that to Teagues 1st 3 years - 9.7mpg/3.1ppg/1.6apg - 15mpg/5.8ppg/2.1apg - 33mpg/12.6ppg/5.0apg.

It's true that stats do not tell entire story but you would think that TP assist numbers would be higher with Hall of Famer Tim Duncan. I am not trying to say that Teague is great, but the young man deserves a chance to develop. If we are going in different directions whatever that may be and he is traded for a package of better talents I am all for it but please don't make it sound like he is incapable of getting any better.

Of course we make the big trade. But other than Smoove, I do not see a trade for a star. No GM in his right mind will trade for Horf untril he can pass a physical. JJ's contract is not tradeable. That leaves Smoove and Hinrich; and it would take both to get a star.

• Premium Member

Of course we make the big trade. But other than Smoove, I do not see a trade for a star. No GM in his right mind will trade for Horf untril he can pass a physical. JJ's contract is not tradeable. That leaves Smoove and Hinrich; and it would take both to get a star.

I actually think packaging both is a good idea. Moving Hinrich is obvious due to his ending contract. With Smoove, I think the Hawks need to be careful. Despite what the Hawks did in the playoffs just last year, it was reported that he was unhappy and would welcome a trade. Next year will be the last year of his deal and if the Nets got Dwight and still maintained some cap space, I could definitely see him jetting to play with his buddy. Or, the Hawks could wind up in a situation where they have to overpay him to keep him ala Joe Johnson. Neither scenario would be good for the Hawks.

Teague has played 25 games as the Hawks official starter, how many has he played with Al? half? no 11 games. After so many years of waiting for a PG that can play defense, break down a defense and get to the rim, shoot a lil, lead the team in assists, we just dump him for a PnR PG because he doesn't fit will Al who is out for the rest of the season. SMH.

By the way is LD's offense heavy in running a PnR offense - just asking?

When Tony Parker 1st entered league he couldn't shoot, had low assist numbers, could only get to rim ala Teague, he couldn't run the PnR with TD. He learned because he had a great coach who was willing to live with his mistakes. TP's 1st 3 years - 30mpg/9.9ppg/4.3apg - 33mpg/15.4ppg/4.9apg - 30mpg/9.9ppg/4.3apg compare that to Teagues 1st 3 years - 9.7mpg/3.1ppg/1.6apg - 15mpg/5.8ppg/2.1apg - 33mpg/12.6ppg/5.0apg.

It's true that stats do not tell entire story but you would think that TP assist numbers would be higher with Hall of Famer Tim Duncan. I am not trying to say that Teague is great, but the young man deserves a chance to develop. If we are going in different directions whatever that may be and he is traded for a package of better talents I am all for it but please don't make it sound like he is incapable of getting any better.

Yes, we dump his *ss fast. I like Teague but he's not that type of PG. If we are trying to land Dwight, I rather keep Teague than anyone outside of Joe. No offense can successfully run the PnR without the PG. Look at NYK before Lin. It's not possible.

TP had the freedom to attack the basket without the defense callapsing and him not having to pay for it like Teague does because he's playing with Tim Duncan who is one of the GOAT of the game and Teague is playing with a PnR PF or a talented but low bbiq tweener. If we are building around Al, Teague needs to go for a PnR PG. Simple as that but for who isn't even likely. There aren't any that their team doesn't value by 1000. Denver not trading Lawson. Minny not trading Rubio. We play ugly Basketball for two reasons. No real PG and no real fit even if you had a PG. The easy answer to our problem is a superstar.

Sund inherited a car with the wrong pieces.

Horford injury isn't career threatening, it's barely as serious as Joe's one last year.

I guess we're seeing two different things because Teague is no where near what you suggest. The fact that in a Joe Johnson and Josh Smith heavy offense, he leads the team in assists suggests as much. In fact, he's the first player to lead the team in assists other than Joe Johnson in seven years.

He's good at passing when attacking the basket. He's very similar to Tony Parker but he's not as smart nor does he have the personnel that Parker has for most of his time in SA.

Horford injury isn't career threatening, it's barely as serious as Joe's one last year.

Nothing close to what I said or implied. Horford is not healed until he can pass a physical. Any GM with half a brain does not trade a superstar for a injured player that cannot pass a physical is exactly what I said.

And it is never serious until it happens to you. I had five dislocated knees in a 3 1/2 year stretch. A dislocated knee is not serious compared to a torn ACL/MCL, but when you are the one on the ground and cannot play for the next six weeks it feels pretty serious.

Edited by Buzzard