Insider Rumours....

Weez

Monday, November 22 Updated 8:45 AM EST

Raptors reportedly asking too much

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Vince Carter

Raptors

Blazers

Grizzlies Nov. 22 - The Portland Oregonian reports the chances of the Blazers acquiring Carter are growing slim. A Blazers source told the paper he is doubtful the trade will go down, and a source with the Raptors said Toronto has upped its demands to the Blazers.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Tribune suggests the Memphis Grizzlies are in the hunt for Carter, too, possibly in exchange for Bonzi Wells and Mike Miller.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported last week that Toronto and Portland were discussing a seven-player trade that would send Carter to Portland with Jalen Rose and two other unnamed players in exchange for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, center Vladimir Stepania and guard Derek Anderson.

The Toronto Star reported the talks focused mainly on making a Carter-for-Abdur-Rahim swap, something that cannot happen without the inclusion of a low-wage earner or two to make the salaries work. At $14.7 million annually, Abdur-Rahim makes about $2.2 million more than Carter.

Jason Kidd

Nets

Timberwolves

Mavericks

Nuggets Nov. 22 - The Chicago Tribune lists the Mavericks, Wolves and Nuggets as potential suitors for Kidd once he returns from the injured list and provided his knee proves sound. Dallas has long courted Kidd, and Minnesota could use some help for an aging Sam Cassell. The Nuggets could reunite Kidd with Kenyon Martin and employ more of the open-court game under which Martin thrived in New Jersey.

Eddy Curry

Bulls

Warriors?

Knicks?

Nov. 22 - The Warriors are the latest team to consider dealing for Curry, according to the Chicago Tribune, which suggests the Warriors would be willing to deal Mike Dunleavy and proposes a three-team trade that would send Dunleavy to the Clippers, Chris Wilcox to Chicago and Curry to Golden State.

Previously, the paper indicated the Knicks had strengthened their offer for Curry, reportedly dangling second-year forward Michael Sweetney. The former Georgetown star previously had been considered off limits by Knicks president Isiah Thomas. The Bulls balked at taking center Nazr Mohammed.

Marcus Haislip

Nets

Knicks

Pacers? Nov. 22 - Haislip, cut by the Bucks earlier this month, worked out for the Nets recently, and the team reportedly was impressed with the 6-foot-10 forward's athleticism, Insider's Chad Ford reports. Haislip has been mentioned as someone the Pacers could look at as a temporary replacement for suspended Jermaine O'Neal and injured Jonathan Bender. Haislip also reportedly showed up the Knicks' radar after Eddie Robinson failed his physical.

Haislip, the 13th overall pick in the 2002 draft out of Tennessee, averaged 10 minutes per game in 70 games over the last two seasons for Milwaukee.

Keon Clark

Knicks

Pacers? Nov. 22 - The Knicks reportedly offered Clark $1.3 million, the remainder of their mid-level exception, over the summer but never heard back from the veteran center, Insider's Chad Ford reports. Now Clark could be a possibility for the Pacers, who have $2.7 million left on their mid-level exception and have their full $1.6 million exception, should they want to replace their suspended players.

Troy Bell

Nets

Celtics

Nuggets

Hawks Nov. 22 - Since being cut by the Grizzlies in training camp, Bell has worked out for a number of teams, including the Nuggets and Nets, and has received interest from others, including the Celtics and Hawks, Insider's Chad Ford reports. The Pacers also could be interested in the wake of recent suspensions. Bell was the 16th pick of the 2003 draft by the Grizzlies, but he played in only six games last season as a rookie.

Glenn Robinson

Sixers

Hornets?

Nov. 22 - Talks between the Sixers and Hornets could be resurrected now that Robinson has reiterated his dissatisfaction with remaining in Philadelphia as a reserve, Insider's Chad Ford reports. He also has indicated he won't take less than the full $12 million he is owed in a buyout. "I think being a 20-point scorer for 11 years, I think that's good enough," said Robinson, a two-time All-Star."If somebody's interested, then so be it. I just wish somebody would make their mind up."

Gary Payton

Celtics

Sonics?

Warriors?

Nov. 22 - Payton, whom the Sonics traded before the 2002-03 season in part because of Seattle's unwillingness to sign him to the lucrative, long-term extension, told the Seattle Times he'd like to finish his playing career in Sonics colors.

"I wish I could have stayed in Seattle, and I wish I can go back and finish my career there," said Payton, who reported to the Celtics this fall reluctantly after the Lakers stunned him with the trade. "It could happen and it couldn't. But I think it could."

The Oakland native, 36, also said he'd like to play for his hometown Warriors, but the Sonics would be his first choice. But there is a condition. When asked if he would serve as backup to Sonics' starting point guard Luke Ridnour, Payton told the Times he "can't see that happening."

Peja Stojakovic

Kings

Bulls?

Nov. 17 - Stojakovic has not backed off his stance that he'd like to be traded. But he's not pressing the issue, either.

In the Nov. 17 Sacramento Bee, Stojakovic tried to clarify that he has no stated interest in playing for the Bulls, either. Last August, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Stojakovic was supposedly interested in the Bulls because of Chicago's Serbian and Greek populations (he's Serbian, his wife is Greek) and his relationship with Bulls coach Scott Skiles. Stojakovic played for Skiles when each was in Europe in 1998.

But he refutes the Sun-Times claim that the Bulls are "one of the teams he'd love to play for". Said Stojakovic in the Bee: "I never said that, but they wrote that. They figure just by having lot of Serbian people living in Chicago, a lot of Greeks, what does that mean? I never picked any cities or teams. I don't have anything against Chicago, but I never said the names of the cities or names of the teams. I said change could make a difference, for me and for the (Kings)."

WHO INJURY THE SKINNY

Eddie Robinson

? Nov. 12 - Robinson's season is over before it began. According to the New York Post, the would-be Knick will have season-ending surgery to repair a fracture under his left big toe.

The 6-foot-9 swingman, who had been bought out of this Bulls' contract earlier this month, was set to join the Knicks on a one-year, $1.3 million contract. The contingency: Robinson had to pass the Knicks' physical.

Even though the Bulls deemed Robinson physically capable of playing, new Knicks' team doctor Lisa Callahan, determined Robinson's left foot might cause him pain 10-15 games into the season and might aggravate the injury. A second opinion determined Robinson's fracture is congenital, one reason he's had the pain since 2001.

Robinson will have surgery, miss this season and re-enter the free agent market. The Knicks, meanwhile, might be interested in Glenn Robinson, if the Sixers waive him, or former Bucks' center Marcus Haislip, the Post reports.

Karl Malone

Lakers

Retirement?

Lakers

Nov. 6 - Malone is still edging toward a full recovery from knee surgery, the Los Angeles Times reports. He should be ready to play within a few weeks. But will he play?

"Karl's still looking at his options, his agent, Dwight Manley, told the Times on Nov. 5. Malone is still undecided about returning for a 20th pro season or opting for retirement. If Malone opts to play, he's believed to be committed to the Lakers.

Last month, the Times reported that Malone might take a front office position with the Lakers if he opts to retire as a player.

Casey Jacobsen

Suns

Nuggets Nov. 5 - The Nuggets and Suns haven't had substantial talks concerning Casey Jacobsen, a league source told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. But there remains interest from both sides on making a deal happen.

To get the numbers to work, the Suns would have to send Jacobsen and second-year forward Zarko Carbarkapa to the Nuggets in return for Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

The Nuggets are in desperate need of a "2" after Voshon Lenard suffered a season ending injury in the regular-season opener. The Suns have had their eye on Tskitishvili since draft night. Their head coach, Mike D'Antoni, used to coach Skita in Italy and is a big fan. We can't report that a deal is close, but it sure makes a lot of sense for both teams.