• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Friday Insider

Weez

East, West have glaring omissions

By Tim Legler

ESPN Insider

I will give the 30 NBA head coaches credit. For the most part, they did an excellent job selecting the 14 reserves for the 2005 All-Star Game in Denver Feb. 20. The key phrase here is "for the most part."

To be fair, it is never easy determining which players have earned the right to make the cut and coaches always are torn between rewarding players on teams having great success or those putting up big numbers on average or below average teams.

Then there is always the dilemma of dealing with a team that has a player voted in to the game when he would otherwise have been left off the squad. In that case, coaches are reluctant to vote a guy in from the same team unless the team is having a big year.

But I do have quibbles with the coaches' selections, especially the omissions of two players – one in each conference – who should at least be reserves.

Starting with the Eastern Conference, let's take a look at how the coaches and fans fared in their selections of both the All-Star starters and reserves.

The fans represented themselves well in determining the East starters.

At center, Shaquille O'Neal relocated to South Beach and locked up the starting center position for the next several years. Shaq's offensive output is down slightly, but his rebounding has been on par with years past and, most importantly, the Heat have the East's best record.

No one can argue with the starting guards.

LeBron James has been the NBA's best player through the first three months. He has averaged over 25 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists, while leading the Cavaliers to the top of the Central Division for much of the first half.

Jamison deserves to be an All-Star starter; Francis (right) deserves a roster spot.

Allen Iverson is having arguably the best year of his career, even better than his MVP season in 2000-01 when he lead the 76ers to the NBA Finals. His scoring has remained explosive at 28 ppg, but his assists (7 apg) are at a career high, and, despite having no other player close to All-Star level, has Philly fighting for the Atlantic division lead. (OK! I know it is the Atlantic Division we're talking about, but give A.I. some love.)

The East forwards are open for debate. Vince Carter has been spectacular since crossing the border and has the Nets' playoff hopes revitalized. However, he did sleep walk through the first two months of the season with the Raptors and admitted he didn't always play hard. Tough call on this one, but Vince has maintained his popularity and the fans have spoken.

The other spot goes to Grant Hill of the Magic. I am thrilled with this selection because Hill represents all that is good about the NBA. He has battled through numerous surgeries on his ankle to regain his All-Star caliber play and gives the league a class act starting in the All-Star Game.

The only problem with his selection is that Antawn Jamison of the Wizards deserves it a little bit more. He did make it a reserve, but his numbers (21 ppg, 8.5 rpg) merit a starting nod. More importantly, he has the Wizards (29-19) looking at their first postseason since 1997.

Jamison's teammate, Gilbert Arenas (24.5 ppg), will join him on the East bench. In this game, Arenas prove himself to be one of the toughest point guard matchups in the NBA, as well as serve notice that the Wiz will be a force to be reckoned with for some time.

Other reserves include Jermaine O'Neal (Pacers), Ben Wallace (Pistons), Dwyane Wade (Heat), Paul Pierce (Celtics), and Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cavs).

IlgauskasThe only problem I have with the preceding group is with Ilgauskas (16 ppg, 8 rbs). I'm not going to diminish his importance to the Cavaliers' success. But with both O'Neals and Wallace, the East is well stocked at center. Last year Jamaal Magloire of the Hornets made the team primarily because the East needed size, but this East squad has enough.

So the last spot should have gone to the Magic's Steve Francis (21 ppg, 6 rpg, 7 apg). He's enjoying his best year as a pro. Francis has been the primary reason the Magic have eclipsed last season's win total. Furthermore, the Magic is the only team represented in the game by a player (Hill) who is not the team's best player.

It makes no sense. Don't punish Francis because Hill was voted in and the Magic (25-22) haven't had enough success to warrant two selections. Oh well, you can't get them all right.

In the West, it is difficult to argue with the starters.

Yao Ming (Rockets) wins the center position because he has solid numbers (18 ppg, 8 rpg), his team is winning (29-21), and he has virtually no competition at the center position. (Amare Stoudemire is a forward, folks.)

The starting forwards are Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Any questions?

At guard, the fans want to see Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady. Assuming Kobe has returned from his sprained ankle, they will. Each has been lighting teams up and some nights, each single-handedly gives his team a chance to win. It is tough to argue with these two.

The coaches did a nice job with the Western Conference reserves, for the most part.

The Suns are represented by three players, as they should be.

Steve Nash (15 ppg, 11 apg) is on the short list of MVP candidates through the first three months. He has energized the Suns and is responsible for three teammates having the best years of their careers.

Stoudemire (26 ppg, 9 rpg) is a manchild who gives the perimeter-oriented Suns all the interior presence they have needed to race to one of the fastest starts in NBA history. The other All-Star Sun is Shawn Marion. Long one of the NBA's most underrated players, Marion has finally gotten the recognition he deserves as the league's best-rebounding small forward (about 11 rpg). His athleticism and boardwork for the undersized Suns enables the track meet to begin every time Nash gets his hands on the ball.

Lewis

WebberDirk Nowitzki (27 ppg, 10 rpg) has gotten over the departure of his buddy Nash by going out and having his finest season. Not only is he scoring and rebounding, as usual, but it has even been rumored that he has gotten after if on the defensive end. As a result, the Dallas Mavericks (31-15) have the most well-rounded team in the last five years and are poised to do some damage in the postseason.

Manu Ginobili doesn't have the gaudy numbers that most of the other All-Stars can boast about, but he has developed into one of the best all-around players in the league. He can score, distribute and defend. And, his evolution into a star has given the Spurs the inside track to an NBA title.

The SuperSonics' fast start will enable them to be represented by the last two West reserves. The selection of Ray Allen, possibly the best all-around off-guard in the league, is a no-brainer.

Rashard Lewis (20 ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg), on the other hand, is suspect. He has had a very good year. There is no doubt about that. The problem I have with his selection has less to do with his not deserving it than it does with who was left off the team.

It is a blatant omission. And don't give me that garbage about the Sonics' great success (32-13). The Kings are in a virtual dead heat with the Sonics yet will not be represented in the NBA's showcase event. Webber should be there.

How can Chris Webber be omitted? The Kings (32-15) have been one of the NBA's elite teams for five years. They haven't slowed down at all this year despite losing Vlade Divac, Doug Christie, and Bobby Jackson, and the main reason has been the play of Webber (20 ppg, 10 rpg, 5 apg).

It is a blatant omission. And don't give me that garbage about the Sonics' great success (32-13). The Kings are in a virtual dead heat with the Sonics yet will not be represented in the NBA's showcase event. Webber should be there.

What's my overall rating? Not bad. The fans can choose whomever they want. It is a popularity contest, and, this year, they have done a nice job selecting the starters. The coaches have a tougher job and performed reasonably well. Only two guys, Francis and Webber, have a legitimate beef. They won't be All-Stars, but they should still go. The parties are a blast.

Tim Legler, an NBA analyst for ESPN and former NBA 3-point champion, is a regular contributor to Insider.