• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider (James)- The Redd-zone

Weez

Bucks' guard continues to improve

By Brian James, ESPN Insider

Brian James Archive

I can still remember walking into the Bradley Center in Milwaukee during the 2000-01 season, 1-2 hours before tip-off, and there would be Michael Redd, with sweat dripping down off his frame, working out diligently with one of George Karl's assistants. Redd worked on quickening his release, going to his right, increasing his range, dribbling each way and just flat-out knocking down shots with the coaches as the passers.

Redd appeared in only six games during that season, but Terry Stotts, Mike Thibault, Don Newman, Ron Adams and Tim Grgurich (Milwaukee's assistants at the time) all told me they had never had a player work so hard to get better. Redd's games were his individual workout sessions and practices on non-game days.

Most young players will do the extra work necessary that is required to stay in the NBA and get better. Otherwise, they don't last long. But in many cases, assistants have to drag the player onto the court, especially after the first three months. Redd always wanted to do more.

The current assistants on Terry Porter's staff claim Redd even practices making the tough shots, since he knows defenses are manufactured to stop him at all costs at the end of games. Almost every game-winning shot will be with defenders draped all over him.

This is one reason Redd has separated himself from many of his peers in similar situations. After being drafted with the 43rd pick of the NBA draft in 2000 by then-GM Ernie Grunfield, Redd used his time on the injured list to get better on the court and stronger off the court in the weight room. Playing alongisde Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson didn't leave many shots for others. Redd had to get them in practice.

The knock on Redd coming out of Ohio State was that he could only go left and was predominantly a catch-and-shoot player. Due to his improvement, Redd can now get to the basket going either way, back people down in the post and rise up to shoot over opponents. He is one of the league leaders at getting to the foul line and his scoring average has increased with each season. He is currently averaging 22.6 points per game.

Porter does a good job of creating scoring opportunities for Redd on the move with curls over him in the post, pin-downs by a big man, and drop-action or cross-screens set by the point guard. Milwaukee's 1-2 "go" series involves screen-roll action with Mo Williams and Redd trying to get the point guard to switch, leaving a smaller defender on Redd or getting him open as he rolls out.

The Bucks will run 2-4/5 screen-rolls to have bigger players screen for him. Redd is at his best in the "green" action, which enables him to cut hard to the top of the floor off a weak-side double-staggered screen off the ball set by either the three, four or five man. Redd cuts so close off the screens that it is impossible to get between Redd and the screeners. Defenders are usually trailing Redd, and if he gets an accurate pass from the point guard, he quickly can rise up for his shot. If his defender tries to short cut the screens and beat him to the spot of the catch, Redd is very good at stopping on a dime, then fading back to the wing area to receive the skip-pass over the top of the screeners.

Not many players can sprint to a spot on the floor, catch a pass, immediately rise up and knock down the shot. I've seen Redd do this so many times that I'm surprised any time the ball doesn't go in the basket. Redd is also great at finishing in the open court. When the ball is advanced up the floor, opponents and fans cringe when he has time to catch the pass and get his feet set.

Michael Redd has developed into one of the most complete offensive players in the NBA.The improvement in his ability to put the ball on the floor makes him dangerous driving the ball to the basket. Critical plays are run for him. His teammates do a good job at finding him when the game is close. Most plays following a timeout are designed at getting Redd a clean look at the rim.

Defenses now must make him use the screen, as Redd doesn't like to get trapped. But he has worked hard on crossing over and going away from the screener. You have to know where he is on the floor at all times.

I also like the fact that he doesn't miss games. The three games Redd missed because of a sprained finger on his shooting hand prior to the All-Star break were the first games he has missed in three seasons. The rest must have worked wonders as he torched Charlotte for 39 points, 14 in the fourth quarter, to start the second half of the season.

Scouts are always looking for little things in their evaluations of personnel. When I sit and observe the Milwaukee bench, I see Redd point to the sky before the lineups are announced and hug his teammates before each game. He rarely scowls at teammates, coaches or officials. He just plays hard.

You can see that he also has the ultimate respect from the Bucks' organization. General manager Larry Harris proved this last month by trading two key components in the Milwaukee rotation, Mike James and Keith Van Horn, to free up enough money to re-sign Redd this summer. That will be Milwaukee's major offseason priority.

Other great catch-and-shoot players

Here are just a few of my favorite catch-and-shoot players in the NBA. The ultimate respect I could have for a shooter is that I am shocked when he misses an open shot. If you leave these guys open, just start running to the other end.

Mid-range:

1. Richard Hamilton – Is there anyone better at the mid-range game today? I know he is great at curling off screens and putting the ball on the floor, but Rip is tremendous at just going up and shooting.

2. David Wesley – The job of any defender guarding Wesley is to make him dribble the ball. He is best at coming off a pin-down on the left side and shooting a quick jump shot at the left elbow area.

3. Ray Allen – Many regard him as the best pure shooter at the off-guard position. His shooting form is picture-perfect, and when he is feeling it, look out.

4. Vince Carter – Forget about FG percentage. Carter becomes a different player when the game is on the line. Even though he has a wide array of shots and shooting releases, I think it is going in every time he shoots the ball. He is a great closer.

3-point shooters:

1. Kyle Korver – Philly's long-distance shooter needs just a crack to get off his quick release. He has hit many big shots to keep the Sixers in games. He was also leading the NBA in attempts with 419 heading into Tuesday night.

2. Joe Johnson – Johnson is the only player in the NBA with over 260 attempts who is in the top 10 in percentage. His 46.5 percent shows the improvement he has made, and he is getting more open looks because of Steve Nash's penetration.

3. Fred Hoiberg – It seemed Hoiberg couldn't make a long distance shot his last two seasons in Chicago. Now with Kevin Garnett to help space the floor, Hoiberg is at the top of the list in 3-point percentage at over 53 percent. Most people can't do that in a gym by themselves.

4. Damon Jones – Damon is hitting at a 41.8 percent clip with over 400 attempts. Having Shaq inside helps get him better looks, but you still have to knock them down.

My favorite current clutch shooter

Reggie Miller – Miller for 18 seasons has made killing shots in the last 5:00 of games in Indiana. There is a big difference between taking the big shots and having the calm nerves to knock them down. Miller makes them.

Best of all time

Michael Jordan – Regardless of the arena, or how sick he was, or what he had done up to the final shot, MJ was the best at game-winning shots. The bigger the situation, the better he was. Just ask the Utah Jazz.

Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, is a regular contributor to Insider.