Picks Are Lottery Protected

KB21

Quote:

The proposed deal, according to sources, would bring guard Boris Diaw and
two lottery-protected future first-round picks
to Phoenix -- along with a trade exception in the $5 million range -- after Johnson signs a contract under terms established by Atlanta: $70 million over five years with an estimated balloon payment of $20 million up front.

This makes the deal even sweeter!!

Guest Walter

I see JJ at about Kenyon Martin's level as a FA last year. Not a true max player, but one for a slightly desperate team. NJ got what, 2-1st rd picks? Were they lotto protected? We're giving up in essence three lottery protected 1st rders given Diaw and the EX. This seems like an awful lot, however, not all bad given JJ can play point at least half his minutes on the court. In short is this is the avg to slightly higher cost for a RFA these days? I hope JJ CAN play point as much as he WANTS TO play point.

W

I would add that it also depends a bit on how lottery-protected the picks are.

Are they lottery-protected for just the first year? Do they then resort to say top 10 protected in the second year, and top 8 the third etc?

Diaw was worthless to the Hawks so that means little. He might turn into a decent 8th man for someone out there, but if the two lottery picks down the road turn out to be *real* lotto picks then I'm considerably less than impressed.

However, all in all you have to think that it is probably a positive for the Hawks since they've been left at the altar by the likes of erick dampier before.

The Hawks never offered Dampier a contract. Kenyon Martin left them at the altar, but I don't believe they ever expected to get Martin. The reports from the Hawks camp this entire offseason has said that they were going to get Joe Johnson though.

I don't see how anyone cannot be impressed with this deal. The Suns fans sure aren't impressed with the deal. They believe they got hosed.

Plus, it really doesn't matter how lottery protected the picks are after this next season. I don't see the Hawks in the lottery for more than one more season.

Quote:

The Suns fans sure aren't impressed with the deal.

The Suns were looking at lose/lose. They were hosed if JJ left for nothing, but they were going to be strapped if they matched. They had enough leverage to force a sign and trade, but that's it.

This is huge for the Hawks. Just huge.

Where's Walter?

Billy Knight is getting Joe Johnson for Boris Diaw and what amounts to being two picks that will likely be in the 15-20 range, whereas Pete Babcock traded two draft picks, one of which was the 8th pick in the draft, for Lorenzen Wright.

it doesn't make the deal sweetER, it just makes it sweet.. if they were not lottery protected, we would have been giving waaay too much. but i can handle this...too bad though since we were just going to spend the money for him and now we still do, but have to give picks/diaw....oh well.

Guest Walter

Just because the Suns were looking lose/lose doesn't mean the Hawks were looking win/win. I do think this is more of a plus for the Hawks than a minus.

However, it could turn bad for us. Picks are always bad to loose but we have three young'ins to develop (and eventually sign) and likely one more next year. Much more and we will have trouble signing them. It all goes back to JJ being able to play the point and run the offense at least half the time (and do so well). I'm more than willing to wait and see.

JJ

Chill

Marvin

Josh

Curry

A good 5 in 2 years.

W

"Plus, it really doesn't matter how lottery protected the picks are after this next season. I don't see the Hawks in the lottery for more than one more season."

Well, optimism is a nice thing to have, however I still stand by my statement. Was it a deal that the Hawks had to make? Yes, but I'd certainly feel a lot more relaxed if they were protected past one year certainly given the Hawks history the last 4-5 years.

Guest Walter

...the picks must remain lotto protected.

And yes KB, I think JJ is a better player than Kenyon. I don't think he was more sought after than Kenyon and I don't think Kenyon was trying to play a different position (alah Sf). In summary I thought Denver screwed themselves in the deal for Kenyon as much because of the player they got as for the price they paid in $$$ and picks. I like the Hawks getting SOMEBODY regardless of the price, but I question whether we will all feel that way if JJ can't man the Pg position, the picks end up being good or unprotected in the future, etc. This is no less a gamble as signing Curry. I'm for the gamble though.

W

W

I really don't believe that BK will move Al in a sign and trade for Curry. I feel that if BK gambles on Curry, then he is going to gamble that Chicago won't match the offer rather than give up Al at this point.

I think he would give up Al for Jamaal Magloire, but not for Curry.

IMO, if BK wanted Curry bad enough, Curry would have an offer right now. It's a gamble to sign him regardless, so there has to be a reason that Atlanta hasn't made him an offer yet. I don't think it is just about waiting to see if his salary can be insured.