• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

it looks like we may still get Detroit's pick...

flava

Pistons might trade pick

Washington, Atlanta among teams talking to Dumars about deal

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Comment on this story

Send this story to a friend

Get Home Delivery

AUBURN HILLS -- The odds of the Pistons getting a player they really want or need with the 23rd pick in the draft on Wednesday aren't very good.

In fact, the odds of them trading the pick are probably better.

As a result, President Joe Dumars is busy lining up potential trades to either get out of the first round or to land one or two second-round picks.

"We could trade the pick, no question," Dumars said. "We are going to wait and when the draft starts getting down to the 20s, we will have a list of five or six guys that we like. If those players are gone, we will look to move the pick."

Dumars has already talked to Washington, who has the 11th pick and wants a second first-round pick. The Pistons might be willing to exchange the 23rd pick for the Wizards' two second-round picks (39 and 40).

Dumars has also been in touch with Atlanta. The Pistons owe the Hawks a first-round pick, which was part of the Jerry Stackhouse trade that Atlanta subsequently acquired from Philadelphia.

If a player that Dumars covets isn't available, he could ask the Hawks to take the pick. The Hawks, who don't have a first-round pick, have the option to decline.

If the Hawks don't take the pick, the Pistons will probably convey their first-round pick next year, since they will be getting a probable lottery pick from Memphis.

"That pick (23) has to be a guy you think can really develop for the future, or a player who can add depth to your team," Dumars said. "If he can't bring either, then you move it."

Among the players the Pistons would likely consider if available at 23 are, Smush Parker (Fordham), Frank Williams (Illinois), Dan Dickau (Gonzaga), Carlos Boozer (Duke), Ryan Humphrey (Notre Dame), Tayshaun Prince (Kentucky), Juan Dixon (Maryland), Roger Mason (Virginia), Ronald Murray (Shaw), Fred Jones (Oregon), Rod Grizzard (Alabama), Vincent Yarborough (Tennessee) and Casey Jacobsen (Stanford).

The Pistons are still working out players. On Monday, John Salmons from Miami, Jiri Welsch from Slovenia, Preston Shumpert from Syracuse and Boozer will be in. On Tuesday, Luis Scola from Spain, Jason Jennings from Arkansas State and Matt Barnes from UCLA

DET needs players to build on last year's success, and their current roster needs some more talent.

There will be some solid players avaliable at 23, so I would doubt that DET would want to pass it on.

On a side note, it could explain why Dickau and Salmons were hastily asked to work out....maybe Pete is readying himself for that pick...although I think he would prefer to not get the pick and use the future pick in a potential trade.

if detroit conveys the pick, we might have a shot at some of the following players:

Tayshaun Prince (Kentucky)

Roger Mason (Virginia)

Fred Jones (Oregon)

Rod Grizzard (Alabama)

Vincent Yarborough (Tennessee)

Dan Gadzuric (UCLA)

or even Jiri Welsch

any would be a fine addition....

flava

Well, I think Prince will be gone by then, but I wouldn't mind moving up to get Dan Gadzuric at all. It wouldn't surprise me to see this guy eventually be the best center that comes out of this draft. When he was on, he was dominant. His stock is low because too often he wasn't on and was just going through the motions.

Gadzuric is a very athletic player who runs the floor better than any other center in the draft. At his best, he dominates the game offensively and defensively in the post. His athleticism and strength allow him to score with ease inside. He alters shots defensively, and he can board. The Dan Gadzuric that scored 26 points, 13 rebounds, a 3 or 4 blocks against Cincinnati is the Dan Gadzuric I would hope the Hawks could get.

Personaly, I think if you put Gadzuric up against Yao Ming right now, Gadzuric would eat him alive.

The only reason I've got Melvin Ely rated ahead of Gadzuric is Ely was consistently dominant where as Gadzuric only had flashes of dominance.

Look at What Duamar's says. He states that the pick has to be someone that they could really develop for the future or can add some depth to the team, if not they move the pick. One question why would another team want the pick if Detroit thinks there isn't anyone of considerable talent to add to their team. There will be some talent still left at the 23rd spot therefroe Detroit will keep the pick.