• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Big News about coaching vacancy

Admin

Monday, June 24, 2002 - Former Denver Nuggets player Alex English is scheduled to interview today for an assistant coaching position with the Atlanta Hawks, but his heart is in the Mile High City.

The Hall of Famer has ties to Hawks general manager Pete Babcock, who was the Nuggets' general manager from 1988-90. But Denver's all-time leader in scoring and assists said his first priority is to land back with his old squad. The coach of the National Basketball Development League's North Charleston Lowgators has interviewed for the position with the Nuggets, but he is keeping an open mind.

"I'm going to weigh all my options," English said Sunday. "The draft is over this week, and then (the Nuggets) will make a decision on how their coaching staff is going to look. My preference is Denver, but I can live with working with another team, and I am still head coach of the North Charleston Lowgators.

"I just hope I get another opportunity and get a second interview to meet the owner (Stan Kroenke)."

Link to the Denver Post article

I would have big time reservations about hiring a guy if he was that open about wanting to coach elsewhere though. I understand loyalty to your old team but still... Besides, there are plenty of viable candidates out there who would be THRILLED to have the Hawks job (Tree Rollins, etc).

On another note, I may be wrong but you have to wonder if interviewing English is a smoke screen for hiring Henson. I mean if you interview a lot of candidates like English who don't really want the job and turn it down because they would rather pursue other opportunities, then hiring a lesser known name like Henson might not be scrutinized quite so much. Just my conspiracy theory for the day! Ha ha!