Another "Hawks like JT at the PG" article

KB21

In reply to:

Hawks to use Terry at guard; draft no big deal

By JEFFREY DENBERG

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

The big news from the Hawks camp likely will not deal with tonight's NBA draft but an apparent commitment to Jason Terry as the team's point guard.

Convinced he's not going to get a promising point guard with the 37th pick, and impressed with Terry's work at the position in the second half of the season, Hawks general manager Pete Babcock is more impressed with the attributes Terry brings to the role rather than what he lacks as a conventional point guard.

"It's OK to be unconventional," Babcock said of Terry, who started 50 games at point guard last season. "You utilize the skills your players bring to the game. We've got to find a way to keep J.T. on the floor. He's extremely athletic, and he's a 20-point scorer (19.3 average last season), and there aren't many of them in the league."

With Terry and Emanual Davis as the point guards, there will not be a critical need for a third player at that position.

One of the prime players in the draft a year ago, the Hawks don't expect to be busy tonight.

"I think we can have access to any several different picks in the 20s," Babcock said Tuesday. "But I'm not sure we will find a player who can help us."

Babcock said the Hawks likely will try to fill their need for a good perimeter shooter after July 1 when the salary cap goes up and trades become more feasible.

Last summer the Hawks turned the No. 3 pick into Shareef Abdur-Rahim, 25, who has become the team's leading scorer and rebounder. They gave up two veterans, Lorenzen Wright and Brevin Knight, to complete the deal. Later, they peddled No. 27 to Indiana because they did not believe in Jamaal Tinsley, a Pacers starter, or Tony Parker, a starter in San Antonio. They did come out of that draft with two future first-round picks from the Pacers and Houston (via Detroit and Philadelphia, respectively).

The Hawks have not made a pick in the first round since selecting DerMarr Johnson sixth in 2000. They made three picks in 1999: Jason Terry (ninth), Cal Bowdler (17th) and Dion Glover (20th). Only Bowdler is not on the Hawks roster today.

Hot and cold...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that THIS is not a smokescreen, and I can return to the business of Terry at PG, and Slim at the 2....

I won't be secure until next season, but this is a needed sigh of relief, but it doesn't mean that the Hawks won't do something anyway...

Jimmy Johnson said at the NFL draft that if you follow the team's beat writers, you will more than likely be on the right track as to what the team will do. Maybe that works for basketball as well.

Articles like this are hard to follow though. They only take what quotes were made that fit the article they were writing. I'd be interested in hearing Pete talk about the draft live.

As for this article, a couple of things jump out at me.

1. Pete is talking about using the talent on the team. He states that being unconventional isn't a problem. What this tells me is that if the Hawks could land a conventional point guard, then they would move Terry to the 2. It could also mean that Pete has finally realized that the day of the John Stockton type PG is almost over.

2. There is some talk about the need for a shooter. I posted a while back that I was told the Hawks were high on Pargo for his shooting. Pedrag Savovic is a guy who fits the mold of a pure shooter as well.

Then there is always the chance that they could go for a European player, bring him to the summer league, and leave him overseas while retaining their draft rights if the player isn't ready. NBADraftReport has Atlanta taking Mladen Sekurulac, who is a shooter that doesn't play any defense.

No pun intented....

They do want someone that does something specifically well in the second round, and long range shooting has been the noted trait discussed.

Also, by taking someone that isn't going to play over here next year, the Hawks could develop somebody without counting against the cap, which is key considering the Hawks fear the luxury tax....

Guest Walter

Babcock first says,

In reply to:

"I think we can have access to any several different picks in the 20s," Babcock said Tuesday. "But I'm not sure we will find a player who can help us."

...however, as the article states regard the immediately preceeding year.

In reply to:

"Later, they peddled No. 27 to Indiana because they did not believe in Jamaal Tinsley, a Pacers starter, or Tony Parker, a starter in San Antonio."

This is not even a number 27 pick we are talking about but a number 23 pick, this draft is deeper (though not stronger at the top IMHO) than last year's draft, this draft is STOCKED with Sfs like no draft in recent memory, a dire need of the team, whether or not Babcock can see past his beloved BU Pg, and this draft promises some badly needed athleticism (i.e. Boris Diaw, Yarburough) to produce as a slasher.

There will be players available at the 23rd position should we get that pick that can help this team significantly both now and in the future. If we have a possibility of getting that pick and the likes of Boris Diaw Riffiod (should he still be in the draft given he is only 19 and might wait a year) is there, we would be fools to not get this former Tony Parker teamate, Euro-league dunk champion, and European newcomer of the year at Sf.

Tony Parker "a starter in San Antonio" wasn't good enough to draft. We are about to make the same mistake regarding one of his former teamates or perhaps someone else worthy of such a pick. Might we be looking for a BU center with a potential for a big upside in Gadzuric? Mladen Sekularac? Grizzard?

Not just anybody available at 23 is worth our taking a 23rd pick if it is offered and using it, but the likelihood is very high that someONE would be worth it. The likelihood diminishes to almost nil when you factor in our front office's ability to recognize who is and isn't worth it for our team. Hopefully, Knight factors in more than he's weighing in publically regarding the draft.

Argh!

BTW, I've gotta catch up on the "news" so some of this may be "answered" already. Maybe Babs is just leading the league and us with it on.

W

W