• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Monday Insider

Breaking down Week 6

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Did the Mavs awake a sleeping giant? | Pacers, Sixers don't like life on the road | No shoot, no score for Pistons | Collins, Cartwright have harsh words for kids | Peep Show

The NBA blames Mavs owner Mark Cuban for just about everything, so why not blame his team for awakening a sleeping giant this weekend when it somehow allowed the fledgling Lakers to come back from a 30-point deficit.

Suddenly, Phil Jackson's smiling again, Kobe has his swagger back and women and children are fleeing as Shaqzilla starts stomping his way through the NBA. Just as the Lakers seem to have found their second wind, the Eastern Conference's two best teams, the Pacers and Sixers, are learning that there's no place like home.

How scary is this statement? "If you stop Richard Hamilton from scoring, nine out of 10 times you beat the Pistons." And after Insider wrote about the high school class of 2000 on Friday, Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry all got some news they didn't want to hear over the weekend.

Did the Mavs awake a sleeping giant?

The Staples Center was rocking. Jack Nicholson was high fiving anyone within spitting distance. The mood swing — from freaking grim to electric in an hour — was palpable. Down 27 points to the Mavs at the start of the fourth quarter on Friday night, the Lakers staged one of the most miraculous comebacks in NBA history against the team many thought had the goods to dethrone the current NBA champions.

Sure, we could get carried away and claim that the season is over. The Lakers are back and we have Mark Cuban's [censored] Mavs to blame. That would be premature. What the Lakers showed Friday night was that they still have what it takes to compete for a fourth consecutive NBA Championship. Their problems are many, their arrogance dangerous and their weaknesses potentially fatal. But when they get rolling like they did against the Mavs, no one can stop them.

Kobe Bryant

Shooting Guard

Los Angeles Lakers

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

22 27.6 8.3 7.0 .453 .797

"This gives us the confidence that we still got it," Kobe Bryant said after Friday's game. "Other teams watching us tonight probably expected us to fold. But tonight we showed why we won three times in a row."

"This shows what we have built here," added Rick Fox. "We're used to being thought of as the best team in the league and now we're playing the team that has the best record, and it was important for us to show everything we stand for."

Coach Phil Jackson said he hopes the momentum from the fourth quarter will carry over. "You never know about momentum," he said. "She is a fickle girl."

The Lakers did respond Sunday night with a convincing 110-101 win over the Jazz. Are the old Lakers back?

"Like old times," Brian Shaw told the L.A. Times. "Like old times."

Indeed, the Lakers' most encouraging sign has nothing to do with the Mavs. Shaq is starting to round into form. He's jumping higher, quicker and without having to load up.

"And," Jackson said, "he recovered a missed shot, was back at the rim quickly. In fact, Tex [Winter] mentioned to him he looked like he was getting himself back into game shape."

So, should eveyone else pack up their title aspirations and go home?

"Well, it's a step," Jackson said.

And it's a step just in time. Mathematically, the Lakers are going to have to string together more than two wins if they expect to make the playoffs this season. The Lakers may need as many 44 victories, based on last season, just to qualify for the playoffs. Before Sunday night's game, that meant going 35-25 (.583) the rest of the way. If they want home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs (ie. a fourth seed) they may have to win as many as 57 games, requiring the Lakers to go 48-12 (.800) the rest of the way.

That's a lot to ask, but Phil's asking for it. "We have to work harder now than we've ever worked before in regular-season games," Jackson told the L.A. Daily News.

"I told them we have to win 50 games. There's emotional nights and then there are nights you have to go out and do the job not 100 percent physically, or not feeling right or emotionally not as high as you can be. But that's the challenge of being a professional basketball player."

Finally, the Lakers have a challenge worthy of a three-time champion. Will they respond?

For an 8-13 Team, Win Is Worth Wait in Purple and Gold

J.A. Adande / Los Angeles Times

Shaq, Lakers Get Some Elevation

Tim Brown / Los Angeles Times

Suddenly, It's 'Like Old Times'

J.A. Adande / Los Angeles Times

Team now faces math's realities

Howard Beck / Los Angeles Daily News

Pacers, Sixers don't like life on the road

While the Lakers were rising from the grave this weekend, the Pacers and Sixers were finding out that life is tough outside the comfy confines of the Conseco Field House and the First Union Center.

The Pacers saw their bubble pop a little during a six-game road swing after an embarrassing loss in Denver. The Pacers are currently 2-3 in their latest road swing. The losses look worse when you consider that none of the teams the Pacers played on the trip was more than two games above .500 when they played.

Are the Pacers becoming victims of their own success? "Each and every night we are going to be the hunted," Reggie Miller told the Indianapolis Star. "We came out of the gates and now teams are featuring us. Everywhere we go, we're getting close to sellouts. People are coming to watch us. But with that comes the responsibility of knowing we have to play as hard or harder than the teams we're going to face."

That's not the only factor. Teams are also figuring out that the best way to combat the big, physical Pacers is to field a small, quick lineup. "I think speed always negates physical play," said coach IsiahThomas. "Any time we get into a speed game and we're in transition, you've got our big guys chasing their little guys. It'll be a long night for us."

The Pacers won't be getting much relief. They play the Bucks in Milwaukee on Wednesday, and nine of their next 14 games are on the road.

The Sixers, who sit atop the Atlantic Division, have struggled even more than the Pacers on the road. Philly is a perfect 10-0 at home, but after losses to the Rockets and Spurs over the weekend, its road record has fallen to 5-6.

Coach Larry Brown had some tough words for his team after Yao Ming and the Rockets ripped through the Sixers on Saturday.

"He's great and getting better," Brown told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It's amazing — a kid in China knows how to play basketball."

"We're supposed to be the country that invented the game," he added. "We have so many guys that don't know how to play, it's mind-boggling to me."

Then he openly questioned the Sixers' commitment to playing team basketball.

"Until we start being more unselfish and consciously make all our teammates better, we will struggle," Brown said. "So we are going to work on that."

"We played like a bunch of strangers. We didn't pass the ball."

The good news for the Sixers is that they play five of their next six games at home. The real test will come in late December when the team goes on a six-game road trip.

Pacers' finish on Western trip disappointing

Sekou Smith / Indianapolis Star

Opponents save best for Pacers

Sekou Smith / Indianapolis Star

'A Bunch of Strangers'

Marc Narducci / Philadelphia Inquirer

Texas trip no fun for Iverson

W.H. Stickney Jr. / Houston Chronicle

No shoot, no score for Pistons

It's no secret that Pistons coach Rick Carlisle is a control freak. It's been a big part of the Pistons' success the last two seasons. But with the Pistons' offense limping along at a pathetic rate, players are beginning to wonder if Carlisle will ever just let them play.

"We don't run it up as much as a lot of other teams," Cliff Robinson told the Detroit News. "We will fastbreak, but we make sure it's a good break. We don't just go down and take quick shots. A lot of teams in this league will take the first shot they can get. We try not to do that."

That's a good thing. But Pistons players are too conservative. They often wait to take a shot until the shot clock is almost at zero. That leads to a lot of desperation shots.

Is Carlisle behind the offensive timidness?

"Definitely not," he said. "If we can get a good shot early in the clock, we're taking them. We just don't do it all the time."

The numbers are pretty damning. The Pistons are averaging just 86 points per game (27th in the NBA). They are taking just 72 shots per game (dead last in the NBA). Last season, the team averaged nine more points a game.

Richard Hamilton

Guard-Forward

Detroit Pistons

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

19 20.2 3.2 3.1 .447 .847

Atlanta's Ira Newble said Saturday, "If you stop Richard Hamilton from scoring, nine out of 10 times you beat the Pistons."

Hamilton leads the team in scoring at 20.2 ppg. The next closest Piston is Robinson with 11.9 ppg. Corliss Williamson, at 10.1 ppg, is the only other Piston who averages double digit scoring.

Carlisle has been working on finding more options than just Hamilton. He has Robinson, Willimson and Chauncey Billups — all capable of putting up 20 points on a given night. Carlisle believes that it's the lack of a potent inside presence that's hurting them.

"I don't think we play slow-down," he said. "It's not so much the numbers of shots as it is the quality of shots. We are getting some good looks, but we need to get more. We are working on it. . .Right now we need to establish a better inside game," he said. "It's an issue of timing and execution. Posting is more difficult now because of the way defenses can shift and sag. Your timing has to be good, your screens have to be good, and it's always easier if you can do it in transition."

Is Carlisle being too conservative with offense?

Chris McCosky / Detroit News

With so few shots, team needs quality

Perry Farrell / Detroit Free Press

Collins, Cartwright have harsh words for kids

As I wrote on Friday, it's too early to make Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry poster children for David Stern's latest age-limit push. But all three kids may have hit rock bottom this season.

Kwame Brown

Forward-Center

Washington Wizards

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

19 7.8 6.3 0.8 .412 .783

Brown got his first DNP of the season on Saturday. He wasn't happy.

"I just don't understand it, really, when you say in the newspapers that we're the cornerstone and the future, and then we're on the bench," Brown told the Washington Times. "I don't know of cornerstone players that sit the bench. They say it's to get my confidence up. Do I look confident to you?"

Coach Doug Collins is opting to go with veteran Christian Laettner. The Wizards are 3-1 since Collins made the move. Michael Jordan, who drafted Brown, supports Collins 100 percent.

"I think Doug has made a conscious effort to put his veterans out there and let the young players fight for their playing time," Jordan told the Times. "Ever since that time we've kind of found a better rhythm in playing, and now we're starting to put our identity on this team."

Jordan also understands Brown's frustration, but he isn't feeling sorry for him.

"[He] should be [ticked] off," Jordan said. "That means you get down there, you start working hard, doing the necessary things and saying, 'Hey, I'm going to start stealing some time from the veteran player.' That's the attitude you take. If you want to take their playing time, you've got to show that you can get their playing time. And you can't do it with lip service."

"There comes a time when every minute you get on the court is earned," Collins said.

Brown understands it. But he doesn't like it. "I'm not a happy camper right now, but that's the NBA," Brown said. "We've got a long season and I know that things will get better. I'll be back out there soon. But I'll always remember this. This is something I'm not going to let go. This is something that I'm going to remember and hopefully feed off."

Chandler and Curry haven't been demoted to DNP status, but their coach, Bill Cartwright, had some harsh words this weekend about kids who jump straight from high school to the NBA.

"Even though we have two young guys, I'm not a big fan of bringing high school guys into the league," Cartwright told the Chicago Tribune. "I think it says to the other kids of lesser talent that instead of maybe going to college and graduating, they want to go to the NBA. I don't feel like these kids are ready for that, physically or emotionally. I'd like to see a college limit, two years" before being allowed in the NBA.

Cartwright: Preps not prepared for the NBA

Sam Smith / Chicago Tribune

Brown upset about diminished role

John N. Mitchell / Washington Times

Peep Show

Rockets: Steve Francis has a new nickname for teammate Yao Ming. Francis is the "Franchise." Now Yao is the "Dynasty." "That," Francis told the Houston Chronicle, "is even bigger than 'Franchise.' " The new nickname made Yao laugh. He now feels like he's part of the team. "It makes me feel," he said, "they really welcome me and helped me become a part of this team." . . . Coach Rudy Tomjanovich is still trying to figure out their three-headed power forward rotation. Mo Taylor and Eddie Griffin have both had their moments, but it seems like he's settling on Kenny Thomas. Griffin has been inconsistent and Taylor has struggled to come back from a year long absence. "It's a tough, tough deal," Tomjanovich had said only moments earlier. "I love all these guys. I've tried to get (Taylor) going, and he's had some great practices. It just hasn't happened for him yet. I feel for the guy. I really do. But there will be other opportunities for him. There always are."

Nuggets: With the Nuggets on pace to win way too many games to have a realistic shot at LeBron James, they may already be turning their attention to a more attainable guard -- Gilbert Arenas. While the Nuggets can't speak publicly about their interest until this summer, the Denver Post is the latest to follow up an Insider report about their interest in Arenas. According to the Post, GM Kiki Vandeweghe tutored Arenas after the 2001 draft. "(Vandeweghe) knew what he was talking about," said Arenas. Is Arenas interested in playing for the Nuggets? "Oh, uh, I don't know," Arenas said. "I'm going to just keep playing. I'm not really (thinking about free agency). I got picked 31st. I still got 30 people I got to outplay. That's all I worry about. I'll just let my play decide where I am next summer."

Hawks: Jason Terry is settling into his role as a point guard. "I feel solid. I understand my role," Terry told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "I've got to lead the team every night, take care of the ball, lead us in transition and make good decisions. If I do those things consistently, we're going to be a winning ball club." Terry's 19-point, 12-assist, five-steal and two-turnover game against the Bucks on Thursday was a defining moment. "I think Jason had his best game at point guard," Hawks coach Lon Kruger said. "His focus and concentration were as good as it has been. . .That was a real good step. Now the challenge is to back it up with another good effort. It's just not going to happen because we want it to happen."

Nets: Rookie Tamar Slay is stepping up big in Kerry Kittles' absence. "The rookie is coming along," Byron Scott told the N.Y. Post. "The kid has a bright future. A 54th pick? Not bad at all. A steal." Jason Kidd agrees. "The future is bright for Tamar. He has that George Gervin-type game, very athletic, needs to work on his defense."

T-Wolves: Wally Szczerbiak figures to be out awhile longer, possibly past Christmas and maybe even New Year's, with a new orthotic device on its way. The really bad news, for Szczerbiak anyway, is that he is sick of sitting out. "I'm just very frustrated," he told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I was feeling good, I was running well, the pain was going away and I'm not on medication. So I thought it was going in the right direction."

Raptors: Still bothered by swelling in his right knee, although not suffering any structural damage, Antonio Davis figures he won't be back until Friday at the earliest. "To be honest with you, I don't think I'll be travelling (to Cleveland for a Wednesday game)," Davis told the Toronto Star. "At this point in time, it's better to just stay off it, ice it and try to get the swelling to go down. It's swollen pretty bad. I can't even tell them where it hurts."

Mavs: Steve Nash admitted his hip has been aching for the past several games. At Golden State on Saturday, the problem was obvious. "Steve could barely walk out there sometimes," assistant coach Donnie Nelson told the Dallas Morning News. "He was hurting quite a bit." Nash claims the injury is no big deal. "My hip was hurting a little," Nash said. "But I'll be fine by Tuesday [against the Clippers]. It's nothing that will keep me out."

Grizzlies: Michael Dickerson is promising that he'll be back. But it may not be until after the All-Star break. "Nah, it's not that serious," Dickerson told the Memphis Commercial Appeal "I'll be back. I'm sure of it." What's the holdup? "He could play with pain right now," Griz trainer Scott McCullough said. "But he'd be stuck with it all year. It's not something he'll have his whole life. That's why it makes sense to try and get rid of the pain for good."

Heat: Somebody put Pat Riley on a suicide watch. "Everything is bad now. We're horrible," Riley told the Sun Sentinel after Saturday's 100-71 loss in Seattle. "We have regressed. We have forgotten everything that we have taught them. They don't execute anything. We quit on the system and just quit on sharing the ball."

Jazz: Only coach Jerry Sloan can top that. Here's his reaction to the Jazz's loss to the Lakers on Sunday. "We didn't deserve to win.... We have to have people that play hard and who are interested in the game.... I didn't say the game was unfairly officiated. . . .For anyone who had to play their own [[censored]] money to watch us play, that's what's unfair."

Francis' nickname for Yao clarifies franchise's future

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle

Nuggets keeping eye on Warriors' Arenas

Marc J. Spears / Denver Post

Terry finally pointing way

Michael Lee / Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Southern Couple Has Nets Meshing

Fred Kerber / New York Post

Wolves notes: Szczerbiak may be out until January

Steve Aschburner / Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Davis injury turns Raps inside out

Doug Smith / Toronto Star