• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou's Blog updated 8/21/06

Speed

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ngton_saga.html

If I’m not mistaken, some filmmaker has already used the title “Endless Summer”. But I can’t think of any other way to describe our Hawksville summer.

I apologize for playing a part in raising all your hopes that something would be done last week. But I was simply following the information and where it led before the Pacers squashed the thing on Friday, taking weeks worth of negotiations and setting them on fire before our very eyes.

We could choose to go in another direction. That’s our prerogative as grown ups, or so-called grown ups. We could focus on something other than Al Harrington and this sign-and-trade scenario - the latest four-team trade rumor (Harrington to Golden State, Joe Smith to the Hawks, Corey Maggette to Denver and Mike Dunleavy Jr. to the Clippers) is similar to the one that floated weeks back involving basically all the same teams minus Indiana, of course.

It’s a novel approach. And I like the idea of a group effort to get something done. But I’m not going there until I get the word that it’s anything more than a rumor. And I doubt Hawks fans are going to be pleased with any deal that doesn’t net either a quality young player or a future first-round draft pick (a draft pick wasn’t mentioned but the Hawks have pushed for this harder than anything else this summer, so I don’t anticipate them doing a deal that doesn’t involve one changing hands).

Again, we could move on to something else altogether. We could forget this sign-and-trade nonsense and talk about what to expect from Speedy Claxton or what immediate contributions can be expected from rookies Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones.

But that would require us all to be above the petty foolishness that the summer months have become when teams struggle to make deals. And honestly, I’d love to move on. I’d be more than happy to move on if only a deal could be made.

After all, the start of training camp is within sight. The third of October is coming straight at us and players around the league are getting ready. Harrington said he’s working out as hard as ever in anticipation of the season, though he still has no idea where he’ll be playing.

But that’s not all I’m worried about these days.

I’ve been watching the World Championships and scanning the games for clues as to what the upcoming season holds for various players around the league. Boris Diaw was at his versatile best in the two games I watched involving France over the weekend. And all the Argentinean guys looked to be a their crafty and rugged best in their games.

I paid special attention to Team USA, of course, particularly Joe Johnson. And even in his limited minutes against China, he showed off yet another wrinkle to his game that goes largely unnoticed during the NBA season.

Joe’s on the ball defense on the perimeter caused fits for the guys he guarded. While several of his teammates seemed to relax on defense as the lead grew to 30-plus points, Joe was steady applying the pressure. His activity led directly to three fast break opportunities for Dwyane Wade during one stretch. That’s the type of unselfish nature that will endear Johnson to his Team USA teammates for summer competitions to come.

That’s why I’m already wondering how you’re going to banish him to the training squad next summer when Kobe Bryant comes back to claim his spot in time for the preparations leading up to the 2008 Olympics. I know they haven’t even finished this summer’s competition. But I’m thinking they’re going to finish in the top three this summer for sure and be better next year. And then …

Sorry, I get ahead of myself sometimes. But I should know better than that by now after back-to-back endless summers with the Hawks.