• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign Wilks, Shirley to 10 day deals

jaywalker72

The Atlanta Hawks today placed forward Chris Crawford on the injured list (inflammation, left knee) and signed guard Mike Wilks and center Paul Shirley to 10-day contracts, according to Hawks VP/General Manager Pete Babcock.

Crawford has missed a total of 23 games so far this season due to injury, including the last 17. In five games played this season, he has averaged 4.8 ppg and 1.4 rpg (.615 FG%, .875 FT%).

Wilks signed previously with the Hawks on December 24, 2002 and was waived on January 7, 2003. He has appeared in six games, averaging 8.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.8 apg and 1.3 spg (.409 FG%, .500 3FG%, .769 FT%). In his 173 minutes of action, he was committed just seven turnovers (plus 17 assists and eight steals). He played in 16 games with Huntsville of the National Basketball Developmental League (NBDL) this year as well.

Shirley spent the 2002-03 training camp and most of preseason with the Hawks. In the preseason, he appeared in four games and averaged 2.3 ppg and 1.0 rpg (4-8 FGs, 2-4 FTs). He was released by Atlanta on October 24, 2002, and signed with the Yakima Sun Kings of the Continental Basketball Association (CBA). The third CBA-to-NBA call-up of the 2002-03 campaign, Shirley ranked third in the CBA in blocks (1.6), 18th in scoring (15.1 ppg) and 15th in rebounding (6.6).

The Atlanta Hawks are a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., an AOL Time Warner company. In February 2003, the Hawks will host the NBA All-Star Weekend at Philips Arena. For ticket information, visit the team’s Web site at www.hawks.com or call the Hawks at (404) 827-DUNK.

Think about it though - the signing of Shirley sorta came out of hte blue for me...could it possibly indicate trades involving one of our current centers?

just thoughts...

we all knew that Wilks'd be resigned...

Good Question. You may be on to something.

We now have 4 -- Shirley - Henderson - Nazr - Theo.

One {Or two} already here may be playing for someone

else soon.

Looking for trades, we fans grasp at straws. This is

a straw. I, too wonder, "What's going on?"

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if

it means anything. Maybe so, maybe not.

• Premium Member

"He plays one in the N.B.A." That's funny, I was going to say that he plays one on TV...I would imagine if any of them go, it will be Nazr, b/c his contract is long & Theo provides the defense that they have been raving about all year...

Nazr did well for us last year, he can do good for us again. We should let him develop in a starting position for a couple of years. I believe he could be somewhat of an unsung hero in times of need.

Even though I shudder at his pay, Hendu is actually producing this year. He's a worker, and when it comes to team play, I believe he can be instrumental.

We're not getting what we want out of Theo, so why wouldn't we trade him. I'm sure he still has some market value. We could package him and Big Dog for some really good reserves. Lord knows, that's all they are.

peace.JDB