• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We must trade for C & cant afford our prospects

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

Those two reasons necessitate not only a trade but suggest a 2 for 1 trade.

I've stated I fell our equal needs are a center (prospect), a Pg (prospect), and TALENT. This draft does not have a center prospect, the talent at 3 is significantly greater than the talent at 11, and the Pg play between the 2nd and 3rd Pg taken and the 1st Pg taken is not significantly different. I also do not believe we can get anywhere near the value of the 3rd pick in a trade.

That's why I feel we should draft the most talented player at 3 (Yi), the best Pg at 11, and trade from our existing strength at forward in MW, JC, and SW to get a C. Both Yi and our rookie Pg would have reasonable deals that would last 4 years, allowing us some breathing room in terms of having to negotiate their staying. I would lean towards not trading the 11th pick for Jack because his deal ends sooner and would require resigning him...and I don't think he's as good.

On top of that, however, we simply have too many existing prospects whose rookie contracts are soon to expire and whom we cannot afford to keep. JC's contract comes up next year along with JS. We likely can't afford both with MW's contract in the wings and JS WILL be resigned. For that reason alone he might be the most obvious individual to trade. MW would easily command the better center prospect in return. For that reason he might be the most obvious individual to trade.

Still, I think we need to combine one of them with SW and hopefully Speedy and think fiscally responsibly as well as get us a better center prospect in return. We need fewer players with mediocre potential at one position and more players with superstar potential (Yi, JS), realized potential (JJ), and other positions (Pg), and with smaller contracts unlikely to command (much) more in the next couple years (ZaZa).

I think Milicic, Nene or Camby from Denver, Swift, Sene, or Petro, Dalembert, Diop, Bynum are all potential center prospects. Some could or would justify a 2 for 1 deal. We need to seriously consider all of them but particularly the 2 for 1 deals.

Think MW/SW for Bynum: Lineup?

Bynum/ZaZa

Yi/SJ

JS/JC

JJ/JC

Crittenton or Law

Think JC/SW/Speedy for resigned Milicic/Garrity? This might be my preference as it seems to meet Orlando's needs (more plausible) and gets Speedy's (and Garrity's) contract off our books before it comes time to resign JS or MW. Next to a 7'+ Pf in Yi you don't need a dominant center. Mind you Milicic can block some shots and is incredibly skilled.

All that's some serious firepower despite a 2 for 1. We've GOT to start thinking beyond a playoff run next season into the seasons beyond that. I believe that involves filling our needs TALENT, Pg, C without prospect gluttony. That means making the difficult choices and bold, creative moves necessary to make not only the to me obvious moves to draft the by far most talented player in Yi, get the best Pg prospect between Crit or Law, but to also trade for a center, LIKELY utilizing a 2 for 1 deal to allow for a team that can financially manage to remain together beyond this coming year.

W

I think you're right, we need to step back and figure the long term view. I've been looking at it financially and it's not pretty if you tack on a $15M Pau.

Your approach is solid. The cornerstone of your plan is drafting Yi, agreed? Where do you project Yi to play? - I think we both agree he projects to PF, please correct if I'm assuming wrong. Considering that, are you really comfortable with Smoove playing a majority of his minutes at 3? I just don't think he has the requisite skills for it. Smoove can be an elite PF, in my opinion, but misplaced and awkward at SF. I really want to see another year of Marvin to see if he will develop that dimension (inside scoring efficiency) that could allow him to become an elite SF. I still believe in Marvin's outside shot, and expect (no, demand) it to improve.

At this point, if you think Marvin can't/won't get to where we want him, then I would agree that you look at see what type of C you can get back in trade to balance the roster.

although i understand and agree your thoughts on not being able to afford all those players, there are two things that jump out at me.

1- billy won't do it. billy and woody's job is on the line this year and trading away more ready players for players like bynum who are farther behind and would also have to learn to play with our players, won't make the playoffs next year and that's the pressure...

2- the anatomy of a team. even if we kept all players we have now AND added Gasol, there is only so much scoring/touches that each player will be able to provide. And stats determines pay and perception of the abilities of that player. So if Gasol and Joe are hitting 20 a night, josh is hitting 18, and marvin is hitting 18, that's already almost 80 points a night...not much room for the bench players points...and if you got Chill scoring 8 points a night, even though he is more talented, you can get an 8 point a night guy for cheaper....hard to explain but basically the 5th or 6th guy can only get a certain amount of points on a team so they can't "show out" and get a lot more money because of that and even if they do leave, the productivity we need from the spot isnt much.

so i'm really on board whether we get Gasol or not but i think billy would jump on it to save his job. plus although we have to resign people, losing those folks (bench players)wo't be as bad because replacing them is easier...jordan and the bulls did it, as does the spurs and pistons these days....get your core and change the bench around them every couple years.

I would say Nene and Bynum can be pretty much crossed off your list. I can't see how we can get them.

I would also be reluctant to trade Marvin just yet. With Yi, Smith and Marvin we have 3 young forwards with a lot of potential but we don't know what kind of players they will be or what position they will fit the best. I think we would have to wait at least 1 season before trying to make any moves involving these three. Everyone else except JJ is fair game.