• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who the Hawks need...

MikeWilksBooth

If there's any GM being capable of ripped off it's Ainge or McHale (excluding BK but I will give him the benefit of the doubt). Ainge gets fixated with players (like Telfair) and will give up too much to get them, so hopefully come draft night he'll want that #3 pick so badly...I propose something along the lines of

ATL Gets: Al Jefferson, Rajon Rondo

BOS Gets: #3, Marvin Williams (maybe more?)

PG: Rondo, Speedy, Lue, AJ

SG: Joe, Salim, Chillz

SF: Smoove, Chillz

PF: Shelden , ZaZa

C: Jefferson , ZaZa

+++++#11 pick

Jefferson I believe played mostly at the 4 last year, but he has the size no doubt to play center. He can block shots and is a force on the glass and inside. The man is only 22 as well and will give us what we need. Rondo gives us the pressure D and showed flashes last year. Don't flame me as i'm not saying the trade is 100% fair (because the Celts have Green and might not want Marvin) but I did try. Opinions?

I don't see Boston giving up Jefferson under nearly any circumstance, no matter how big a dingbat Ainge might be. One thing you can say for the Celtics fans is that they are extremely knowledgeable and extremely passionate about their team, and they would flip their lids if Ainge were to make a trade like that (and Rondo is also very popular among Celtics fans). If that trade were to take place, and especially if it didn't work out....between the rabid fans and the equally intense media coverage (the Boston media can be absolutely vicious- there is NO comparison with Atlanta media or really anywhere else in America with the possible exception of New York), ya know, Ainge would lose his job- old Celtic or not.

And Jefferson and Rondo are two of the pieces they plan on building around, which seems like a very good foundation to me. So, I don't see it....

Quote:

Sign me up for this deal all day. We could take a big or a point guard at 11. We would be down right nasty! Celtics wont do this deal Marvin is no where near as good as Jefferson is.

Yea but Ainge will think in his head, "Man we have 2 of the top 5 we can do some damage". How could we change it to make them do it? What's Al's value right now? I read somewhere Ainge offered Al, #5 pick+ others for Troy Hudson and Garnett who is 31.

Big Al averaged 16-11-1.5 blocks in 33 mins in 69 games. I mean I think he can be a real deal at center for the next 10 years! Come on BK do it, i'm officially on Al's nuts (no homo)

Quote:

yea I know it's a long shot Seano but I believe we HAVE TO move the #3 pick for a player

Hey, ya never know. We just might. You can't rule anything out. I believe BK is keeping all options open, as he should be. It wouldn't shock me in the least to see us trade that pick or #11, and possibly players too.

Good post, MikeWilks.

Just looking at Al's numbers this past year is sickening...16/11, 2 blocks next year. WOW.

Do you know if Jefferson is a banger on the defensive end?

The backups in your newly requested lineup for the center and PF are a bit thin right now. Since you request Rondo, maybe we'd trade #11 + Childress for a veteran PF or someone. I'd play Shelden at Center, because the PF must be quicker and Shelden has a wide body to be the landlord.

Maybe I'd trade #3 + filler for Jefferson straight up. Then, trade Marvin for a veteran big. Then draft Law at #11.

Maybe we could try yank something out of Billy King too.

Please tell me you are joking?

I certainly wouldn't trade Marvin for Rondo and if Jefferson was my target with the #3 pick, I'd probably just go Al Horford. Al Jefferson is going to command big money, I mean BIG money soon. He'll get paid as good as if not more than Smith. I think Horford is capable of similar #'s to what Jefferson is putting up.

Some of you guys REALLY undervalue Marvin. If you are only going to get a 'Rondo' equivalent for him you might as well just keep him and see if he improves. (Which I think he will)

I'll take this

Crittenton / Speedy / AJ / Lue

Johnson / Chill / Salim

Marvin / Chill

Smith / Shelden / Jones

Horford / Zaza / Wright

over

Rondo / Speedy / AJ / Lue

Johnson / Chill / Salim

#11 / Chill

Smith / Shelden / Jones

Jefferson / Zaza / Wright

We know Horford has the winning attitude and will be a 'rookie' for 4 years whereas Jefferson will be getting his $10+M starting next season. Rondo is a very interesting prospect to me and I'd entertain #3 for #5/Rondo if we didn't like the PG options at #11 and we weren't sold on Horford but I don't see him being any better than Law/Crittenton. Another thing is, I'm not ready to sell Marvin for so little, yet. Anyways, that's just my two cents. If Marvin is involved in a deal, it needs to be for a big name player.

Quote:

We know Horford has the winning attitude and will be a 'rookie' for 4 years whereas Jefferson will be getting his $10+M starting next season. .

Yea I see what you're saying about Horford four years under a rookie contract, but there's no way of telling he'll be nearly as good as Jefferson. Big Al would deserve every penny of a 10M+ a year contract and he improved throughout the year. He has some low post offense and is a big body unlike a stick (Aldridge, Frye). But when you said you'd only trade Marvin for a big name that contradicts your point of taking Horford for cheap.

Yup, count me out on that deal also. Those are the type players we need but Marvin or the #3 alone are pretty much worth Jefferson and Rondo to me. For sure throwing in Chillz or maybe even Salim with the #3 should get you Jefferson and Rondo given that Boston would rather have Horford or Yi than Jefferson. If they really want Yi they might throw Kendrick Perkins out there for us to exchange picks. That's the deal I'd want, even if I had to throw in a little more like Salim or Solo.

When I said 'big name' I was focuing on the small group of young big like Dwight, Amare, Gasol, etc. Would I consider Marvin for Jefferson? Sure I would. I just feel that the #3 and Marvin is a lot for a guy that MIGHT be a 20/10 guy one day. I wouldn't give up #3/Marvin for Gasol and I feel Jefferson / Gasol have probably close value around the league. Gasol has proven himself over a long period of time but there is no secret that Jefferson has become some what of a beast. I'd just rather take our chances with our pick. Horford, Yi, whomever.

How do you compare Al Jefferson and Andrew Bynum? I know some folks on here would trade the #3 pick for Bynum straight up. I don't think I would do that. Then again, I don't know much about Jefferson's attitude and that is something I'm severely interested in this year. I want players that WANT to win. Competitive leaders. That is really the only reason I wouldn't be too disappointed with Acie Law at #11 over Crittenton. The guy seems to have that desire and clutch ability. That isn't a coachable attribute.

MY POSTS AREN'T INTENDED TO KNOCK AL JEFFERSON. I THINK HE IS A GOOD UP AND COMING PLAYER. THE #3/MARVIN SEEMS LIKE A LITTLE MUCH.

"I wouldn't give up #3/Marvin for Gasol and I feel Jefferson / Gasol have probably close value around the league. Gasol has proven himself over a long period of time but there is no secret that Jefferson has become some what of a beast. I'd just rather take our chances with our pick. Horford, Yi, whomever"--Jez

Price wise I agree, but i'm sick of taking chances. The only chance that Billy Knight got right was Josh Smith who I wanted at the time anyway. Gasol is 5 years older than Jefferson and I really don't know jacksh!t about the salary cap and trade exceptions but wouldn't that max us out for this year anyway unless they'd be willing to take on a package like with Speedy?

"How do you compare Al Jefferson and Andrew Bynum? I know some folks on here would trade the #3 pick for Bynum straight up. I don't think I would do that."--Jez

#3 for Bynum, I honestly don't know if i'd do that. Bynum could be a good one but his post moves seem a little deliberate when I watched the Lakers. I want to WIN now (Horford) but then again Bynum is a true center. Toss us

"Then again, I don't know much about Jefferson's attitude and that is something I'm severely interested in this year. I want players that WANT to win. Competitive leaders. That is really the only reason I wouldn't be too disappointed with Acie Law at #11 over Crittenton. The guy seems to have that desire and clutch ability. That isn't a coachable attribute"--Jez

Well I don't watch the Celtics enough to know about his attitude and all that but putting up nice numbers in the last 3 games when he returned from injury in a meaningless game tells me a little something. He averaged 20 and 12 and 2 blocks after the all-star break and with 35 minutes a game, 20 and 10 would be a nice lower end expectation from him in a Hawks uni.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3yACaFzRI

He shows a great up and under move, a nice shooting touch and ability to finish around the basket which is what we need.

After more thought I must say I'd be pleasantly surprised if Horford comes in and plays like Jefferson played last year. My main concern here beyond whether the trade is fair value wise is the fact that we'll have to frontline RFA's this year that we'll have to sign to big money. Josh Smith and Al Jefferson would cost $20+M. If Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Jefferson are a good enough core however to make some noise in the East I might not be against pulling the trigger.

Would Boston consider #3/Chill/Salim for Al/Rondo or #3/Shelden/Salim for Al/Rondo? Probably not. Hmm... I will say that if Al Jefferson cost #3/Marvin than I wouldn't be against #3/Marvin/Chill/+ for Dwight Howard at all. (Although that is a moot point)

Hypothetical if we did that deal... + Lue/Salim for Damien Wilkins

Rondo / Claxton / AJ

Johnson / Wilkins

Childress / Wilkins

Smith / Shelden / Jones

Jefferson / Zaza / Wright

Add BPA at #11. Options:

Javaris Crittenton

Acie Law

Al Thornton

Thaddeus Young

Rodney Stuckey

Jeff Green

That would be possibly the most athletic Starting 5 in the NBA.