Sekou's blog, re: Horford

FrankWhite

In case anyone needed confirmation...

Horford’s a class act!

By Sekou K Smith | Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 12:52 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

If I’ve learned nothing else about Al Horford the past six months, it’s that he’s a class act. That was clear the first day I met him and it was never more clear than last night, after his hard fouls sent Toronto point guard T.J. Ford crashing to the floor late in the Hawks’ loss to the Raptors at Philips Arena.

I’ll be the first person to sound off in defense of this guy, because long before everyone else had vacated the premises Tuesday night, Horford made his way to Piedmont Hospital to check on Ford, who remained under observation overnight but reportedly had movement in all of his extremities.

Horford was one of several people affiliated with the Hawks to go directly to the hospital to check on Ford - Dominique Wilkins and Josh Smith’s father Pete Smith were there, too - and make sure he knew that what happened was purely accidental.

Horford, I’m told, waited quite a while for Ford to get done with tests just to make sure he got the chance to speak with him personally. And when told that Horford came to check on him and wanted to speak with him, Ford let it be known that he knew Horford’s lick wasn’t intentional and that he welcomed Horford to stop by and visit.

None of that will make it on the highlight shows. But it’s just an example of the class shown by all involved in what was a frightening sequence, particularly for a guy (in Ford) who has dealt with spine, neck and back issues in his past.

All the Hawks were concerned about Ford after the game. And you know his teammates and coaches were rightfully concerned and worried about their floor leader. I think that’s what no doubt played into the reaction of Sam Mitchell, who could have caused even more ruckus to ensue were it not for the level-headed reaction of so many of the players, from both teams, and Hawks coach Mike Woodson, all of whom tried to calm Mitchell down.

It was a sobering end to a rough night for the Hawks. But the aftermath was handled with class, from Horford and everyone else involved.

And, of course, prayers and well wishes for T.J. Ford are welcome here.

Hope the commisioner reads that article before he decides on any suspension. Clearly it was an accident. It all happened so fast, Al was just tryng to block the ball and TJ went to the other side of the basket instead of where AL though he was going.

I ahve been watching Al for years with the Gators and he has never showed anything but class. I knew he would go to the hopspital to check up on TJ and would have been more surprised if he didn't. Lets hope he doesn't lose his agressiveness.