Diesel

• Premium Member

IF things remain the same.... Under contract we have:

Dickau

Grob/CC

SAR/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

7 players... 5 to go.

JT will be signed maybe starting a little more than 4 million.

8 and 4.

We have a first rounder, #21.

For argument sake, let's say our pick at #21 turns out to be:

Victor Khryapa. Even though he's mentioned as a wing, I think he might be a SG type.

9 and 3.

With those 3, we have DJ who I would take. DJ had Cracked vertabrae but not a broke back.

10 and 2.

If all things remain the same, we have 2 2nd rounders that can make the team.

#1 should be a 3 pt shooter.

#2 should be a BANGER.

I'd take K. Perkins and Dahntay Jones.

I think Jones is a great pick at 37. He has athleticism and he is very physical. I normally hate Duke players because they don't make good pros, but I think he will be a bit different. Sorta like Brand.

I like to look at this Perkins kid. He's a potential choice.

If we get Jones, there's no going back to Ira or Glover. I think if I had to choose between Glover and Ira, I would take Glover. BUt now is the time for the Hawks to focus on Athletes. When SAR/Big Dog are gone, we will be a more athletic team.

why in the world would you take Glover over Ira? If we got those picks (esp. Jones), what purpose would Glover have, esp. given his injury history (which is much more significant than most players in the L today, much more so than Theo's)?

• Premium Member

Well,

Mainly, for that purpose alone, we can pay Glover much less than Ira. Ira has taken the 1 year contract from us to quote unquote prove himself. I think he'll be looking for Bowen Money. More than 3 million. I don't think Ty Corbin Jr. Brings enough. Glover is a restricted FA. I think we can pay him less than 1 million for next year. I'd do that if I felt that Slim wasn't going to work out.

PLUS, Glover is more athletic than Ira. I'm looking at a future lineup in 2years:

JT/Slim/Krypa/PF/Theo.

With Glover/Dickua?/Jones...

As BUs.

Although Krypa is not as Athletic as the rest, he's very very versatile.

Our team ought to be one of athleticism.

Actually, I would rather resign Glover than Ira at the same price. I think Glover will be worth more than Ira on the open market. Ira is a solid role player and I love his hustle but he's not as talented as Glove and Glove is only 24. Glove is actually younger than Dickau by a month. On the other hand, Ira is 28. I think Glove is worth AT LEAST the qualifying offer of a little over $2 million we will have to offer him to retain the right to match any offers he might get. I would definitely pay Glove that much and probably a little more for a 2 or 3 year deal. The bottom line is that I like Ira but I would not resign him if it meant not resigning Glove or DJ.

I think he is finally starting to realize some of the potential that he showed in college. I just think it would be a shame to see him leave here next year and go somewhere else and fluorish.

Glove is not a great defender and he has mediocre ballhandling skills but those are skills that can be improved. I definitely think he's worth keeping around for $2.5 million.

Trace,

I'd rather keep Glover than Big Waste, but other than that, I think Glove is expendable.

That is just my opinion.

I think he drives FAR too much, without the ability to kick, dish or find an open man.

Therefore, he is just a Glenn clone without a jumper.

At least that is MY summation. I would like him to be more than he is, I just don't think he is.

Play.

I'm not sure that Ira hasn't earned a 3 mil per season 3 year deal. I wouldn't go much higher...but he moves decently without the ball, can hit the open J, and aggressive in his hustle. He's got decent athleticism, with the ability to finish a dunk most of the time. He's not going to blow you away...but you know what he's bringing every night and is consistent. He's a true SF...which hurts him I suppose...but then again, you know which position he's best fit for. He CAN slide into the 2 at tiems, but it's obvious that he's a sf, plain and simple.

He's average in every offensive catagory, doesn't require the ball, and is a very solid defender, esp. against 3's.

Glover began to show glimpses, but still hasn't shown me anything worth keeping him on...plus there's the injury thing that has been recurrent many times over with the same exact problem. I just don't see it...he doesn't have great range on his shot...the rest has already been discussed. People claim that he can post up many two guards (like he did in his one year of college, that he played in anyway) but has anyone seen him do this in the pros? I haven't.

current situation. No way would I give him a deal beyond 04/05 unless I KNEW what was going to happen with Reef, Dog, Theo, Hendu, CC, etc. after 04/05. I can't see tying up even $3 million in capspace for a role player like Ira. We need to have as much capspace as possible when the 04/05 season ends in order to give us maximum flexibility. I could understand giving Ira a TWO year deal. In fact, if luxury tax were not an issue, I'd definitely offer him a 2 year deal.

As for Glover, I think he played VERY well toward the end of last year. He was downright TERRIFIC in April (our last 8 games) with the following stats:

37.4 mpg, 45% fg, 39% 3pfg, 17.0 ppg, 7.3 rbg, 3.4 apg, 2.13 spg.

Now those stats are somewhat inflated by our friendly April schedule but those are solid numbers AND he was still the youngest player on our active roster last year. His March stats were solid too as he averaged 12.3 ppg.

37.4 mpg, 45% fg, 39% 3pfg, 17.0 ppg, 7.3 rbg, 3.4 apg, 2.13 spg.

For those 8 games at least, he shot the ball well from the perimeter and shot a good % overall. He also rebounded and distributed the ball well while playing solid defense.

I will concede that our relatively easy schedule played a role in those numbers but those are still pretty impressive stats for a 24 year old SG who was no better than the 3rd option in the offense.

• Premium Member

I think that says it all.

He has potential.

I think that we have to note that he has been injured for a lot of his stay here and then he was in Lon's doghouse. I think he has a lot of potential.

an indication of the position we intend to address in the draft. The draft workouts have centered around the 2 guard. If we draft a 2 in the second round (or 1st) and resign DJ then how can we afford to keep DG? Of course if we deal GRob, DG might slip to the 3 position were he has played in the past. I even remember a quote that he liked the 3 spot better than the 2. I think his game is more like a 3 than a 2 b/c he has few guard instincts. While Dion is short for a 3 he does have the girth to play the 3 and the speed to beat most 3s down the court. But my gut tells me he will not be back next year.

I like Glovers slashing ability.This team has such little

slashing ability.He doesn't look for the refs to bail him

out like Reef does at times.Honetly,I think he should

be kept instead of DJ.

Hots,

Dion has slashing ability in a team that doesn't use slashers.

We need a point that can get him the ball, a SF that doesn't hog the ball, and a center who knows to get away from the rim once in a while in order to use him.

In essense, we need an identity, a system and a whole new cast of characters.

We had more success with DJ then we did with DG. DJ can play defense. Was getting a lot of blocks and hustled.

The only question is... can he play again?

Play.

Hots,

Dion has slashing ability in a team that doesn't use slashers. "

We have too many guards that can't get to the basket

and draw fouls.JT almost never takes in the teeth of

the defense.DJ is scared....Dickau?Newble will cut with

out the ball, but he isn't really a slasher.

"We had more success with DJ then we did with DG. DJ can play defense. Was getting a lot of blocks and hustled."

I'd like to know when....DJ is so unpolished that it isn't

even funny.He could defend as long as it wasn't a stronger

player like Mash.Not only is Dion better...but he's more

talented also.I've seen next to nothing of offensive talent

from DJ.He had a handful of nifty plays but so has most

NBA guys.DJ is like a piece of stiff cardboard.He doesn't

move very well.

I'm truely sorry about DJ's car crash and I hope he gets

a job in the NBA again.But he's not or never was a future

star.He's in the mold of Bender and Darius Miles.He's good

enough to be in the NBA...I was hoping he could come

out as someone like Sean Elliott was in his prime.But I

don't think he'll reach that level.

Hots,

I don't think we need MORE offense as much as MORE team play.

Dion = NOT TEAM PLAY

Dermarr = TEAM PLAY

I could care less is DJ ended up with a PPG of 12. It doesn't matter.

Personally, I take the guy that I can sign for less. Maybe I let them both go and take my chances. But, I like the idea of DJ playing underneatht the tutledge of Steve Smith.

Play.

I'm tired of teams zoning us up and watching JT

and Dog fire up jumpers instead of taking it to

the basket.Don't you guys realize how prone we

are to getting zoned up and taking long jumpers?

This was as big of a problem as any that we had

on offense.We played just like the Nets did for

most of the game last night.Scared and taking

long jumpers againest the zone.

Dion brings a slashing game.DJ is a jump shooter

that is very unpolished putting the ball on the

floor.I hate to tell you this...but DJ isn't going to

put up 12PPG.He isn't going to be anything but a

10th man off the bench.

"Dermarr = TEAM PLAY "

Playing scared is playing as a team?There is no need

to sign Steve Smith as a player.He's a scrub now and

is VERY slow to react on defense, and that's why Kerr

gets more minutes than him.

Too many people like soft players.We need atleast one

player that will attack the basket.I'd like to have a better

slasher than Dion...But I'd rather have him than DJ.DJ

hasn't even had a good month in his career...ESP by a

6th pick in the drafts standard.

If he can recover fully from the injury, then he also brings the type of length to the position that I would like to see. I made a post a few days ago about my visions of the team getting longer (taller). DerMarr, at 6-9, is a very difficult match up offensive and defensive as a shooting guard. Bringing in a vet like Steve Smith can do nothing but help the development of DerMarr Johnson.

If not DerMarr, then a guy like Rod Grizzard could be an option. He's a 6-8 shooting guard that would present match up problems. People seem to want to snub their nose at some of these CBA and NBDL talents, but a lot of them have the necessary talent to play in the NBA. It's just that their skill sets have yet to develop to the point to where they can play in the NBA. In Grizzard's case, he has to develop a consistent jumper and show more of a willingness to play defense. Some of these guys are just looking for a break because they may be in the NBDL or CBA because the NBA team they were on had too many guaranteed contracts to keep them.

But, all in all, I would like to see the Hawks become a longer team. If DerMarr pulls through and the Hawks take a guy like Boris Diaw-Riffiod as a point guard, then their potential back court of the future are a couple of 6-9 players.