• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

TRAE OR DJ OR BOTH

Spud2nique

Who do we keep and move forward with and why  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/27/2024 at 11:40 PM

I voted trade DJM even though I love him as a player.

Why? I’d use him for a defensive star forward trade like Bridges or OG type players

mainly a trade around herb jones.. anybody in the top 25 of this list will do fine: https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/best-defensive-rating-for-small-forward

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I been after Mikal badly. Perfect fit for us and he’d be happy as well because the Nets aren’t as far along as we are as a franchise.

@theheroatl I’m feelin ya!

Exactly.. or maybe Jaylen Brown forces a trade.. those racist Boston fans don’t deserve him

• Like 2

Just now, theheroatl said:

Exactly.. or maybe Jaylen Brown forces a trade.. those racist Boston fans don’t deserve him

You’ve targeted 3 studs. I don’t know what qualifications are needed to be a stud but all three have that IT FACTOR, grinders..

🎶 GRIIIIIIIINNNNNDDDDIIIIINNNG 💃 

• Like 2

Snippets below from CBS Sports.  I like the idea of Brandon Ingram (Pelicans need a point guard) and picks for Young:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/trae-young-couldnt-lead-the-hawks-into-the-playoffs-and-its-time-for-atlanta-to-trade-the-star-guard/#:~:text=If all keeping Young would,2027 free agency as leverage

"That's not all Trae Young's fault... but it would be hard to keep ignoring what a seismic negative impact he has on Atlanta's defense. Atlanta allowed 119.1 points per 100 possessions with Young on the floor this season, just half a point off of the NBA record for worst defensive efficiency over a full season. Young has played six NBA seasons and the Hawks have been better on defense without him in each of them. In the first four, Atlanta's defense produced its best defensive rating during any player's absences with Young sitting. The trend line here is pretty clear. When Young rests, the Hawks are generally pretty good on defense. When he plays, they're bad."

"That's more or less what happened when Young missed 23 games near the end of the season. The Hawks went 12-11 with the 18th-best defensive rating in the NBA. Not great. Not terrible. On the year, the Hawks were 14-14 without Young and 22-33 with him (including Wednesday's season-ending Play-In game). Young has generally made up for those defensive shortcomings by leading a very good offense. The Hawks ranked 12th this year. Not exactly a worthwhile trade for arguably the worst defender in the NBA."

"Young wants to run spread pick-and-roll every time down the floor. His priorities, in order, are to get a layup, get fouled, get a clean floater, get a clean 3-pointer, throw a clean lob or kick it out to an open shooter. This is antithetical to Murray's desire to dribble too much and settle for contested mid-range jumpers. The partnership might be able to survive a "your turn, my turn" compromise if either were consistent shooters off the catch or eager movers off of the ball. Neither have been."

"If all keeping Young would accomplish is another few years of mediocrity, it's in the team's best interest to trade him now, while he still has two years of contractual control, than to hold on to him and either lock themselves into another enormous contract or risk him using his impending 2027 free agency as leverage to force a trade somewhere that can't give the Hawks the assets that they want. And, in this case, there are a few assets that Atlanta should very badly want."

"The best-case outcome for the Hawks would be interest in Young from the San Antonio Spurs. Why? Because the Spurs control Atlanta's first-round picks in 2025, 2026 and 2027. Those picks are the key to unlocking a full rebuild for Atlanta. Get them back and suddenly you're pick-neutral again."

"Would the Pelicans consider a swap of Brandon Ingram for Young given their wing depth? Even if the deal only includes picks, those picks can be redirected for players in separate deals."

"None of these paths necessarily generate great odds at championship contention, but well, the Hawks have themselves to blame for that after trading Luka Doncic to get Young in the first place."

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

There are a lot of "if" scenarios for me with this question.

"If" we can get back some solid defensive players (specifically on the interior) around Trae by ridding ourselves of guys like DJM and CC, then I'd vote DJM.  That's my first option.

"If" we can't and we want to go full nuke with the team, I'd be ok getting a bunch of assets for what we can for Trae and whoever else and rebuilding around a guy like DJM as our vet.  I like his attitude and what he could bring with some young guys, even if we aren't winning.  He really needs to develop the ability to get to the line, that's my only gripe.

At the end of the day though, I don't think keeping both is the solution.  Both guys operate better with the ball in their hands and it isn't a fit that can be coached into either player.

• Like 1

We keep Trae because of 27/10 and Ressler needs to sell tickets.

DJM for Ingram + picks seems realistic and could help both teams.

But my preferences would be Mikal Bridges, Jaylen Brown, or Herb Jones....just don't see any of those 3 being traded.

For double extra credit, I'd draft Dalton Knecht.

• Like 3

Personally, I feel like we get Edey and we solve most of our critical issues with Trae. 

I don't see that player in this draft for Murray. If we traded Trae, we would have to get a legit star to replace Trae like Donovan Mitchell or Devin Booker. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

We keep Trae because of 27/10 and Ressler needs to sell tickets.

DJM for Ingram + picks seems realistic and could help both teams.

But my preferences would be Mikal Bridges, Jaylen Brown, or Herb Jones....just don't see any of those 3 being traded.

For double extra credit, I'd draft Dalton Knecht.

this is a good plan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Snippets below from CBS Sports.  I like the idea of Brandon Ingram (Pelicans need a point guard) and picks for Young:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/trae-young-couldnt-lead-the-hawks-into-the-playoffs-and-its-time-for-atlanta-to-trade-the-star-guard/#:~:text=If all keeping Young would,2027 free agency as leverage

"That's not all Trae Young's fault... but it would be hard to keep ignoring what a seismic negative impact he has on Atlanta's defense. Atlanta allowed 119.1 points per 100 possessions with Young on the floor this season, just half a point off of the NBA record for worst defensive efficiency over a full season. Young has played six NBA seasons and the Hawks have been better on defense without him in each of them. In the first four, Atlanta's defense produced its best defensive rating during any player's absences with Young sitting. The trend line here is pretty clear. When Young rests, the Hawks are generally pretty good on defense. When he plays, they're bad."

"That's more or less what happened when Young missed 23 games near the end of the season. The Hawks went 12-11 with the 18th-best defensive rating in the NBA. Not great. Not terrible. On the year, the Hawks were 14-14 without Young and 22-33 with him (including Wednesday's season-ending Play-In game). Young has generally made up for those defensive shortcomings by leading a very good offense. The Hawks ranked 12th this year. Not exactly a worthwhile trade for arguably the worst defender in the NBA."

"Young wants to run spread pick-and-roll every time down the floor. His priorities, in order, are to get a layup, get fouled, get a clean floater, get a clean 3-pointer, throw a clean lob or kick it out to an open shooter. This is antithetical to Murray's desire to dribble too much and settle for contested mid-range jumpers. The partnership might be able to survive a "your turn, my turn" compromise if either were consistent shooters off the catch or eager movers off of the ball. Neither have been."

This ain't wrong. The thing is, you can make it work. Get an offensive 5 that fits Trae. Something that's been a need since we almost got away with using JC as a small ball 5. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Who do we keep? Why?

extra credit: player you think would fit here in a trade.

Since neither Trae or Murray is your number 1 on a championship team, why not take the guy who is more well rounded, has better leadership skills, and is not on a Max deal?

I don’t really want to pay a Max deal on a number 2 who plays no defense.

Something like Trae for Mikal Bridges or one of the Pels wings and picks(if we could get that) would make the team a lot better IMO

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

I selected keep both which is completely contradictory to what I think should happen.  I just have a feeling that's what's going to happen.  We'll see I guess.  I definitely don't think it works with both, but there's part of me that thinks the Hawks will just chalk this year not working up to injuries and they'll make other changes rather than splitting up Trae and DJ.  I think Quin really likes both players and thinks it can and will work with both.  I think Trae and DJ both want to stay and make it work.  

I don't see it, but that's my thought on what the Hawks will do.  If I was the GM, I'd try to trade DJ to the Pels for BI and Dyson Daniels and then focus my attention on upgrading the C position.   

• Like 1

I selected trade Trae as I think we can get the best return if he offered on market. The rumored trade offers at deadline for Murray were garbage. Especially the proposed Lakers deal.

If we can get our picks back from San Antonio and get a young starter like Vassell for Young, i would take that offer and use the extra cap to rebuild and get better in other areas. Murray has proven he can be a very good point guard in this league.

9 minutes ago, TheBigETrain said:

I selected trade Trae as I think we can get the best return if he offered on market. The rumored trade offers at deadline for Murray were garbage. Especially the proposed Lakers deal.

If we can get our picks back from San Antonio and get a young starter like Vassell for Young, i would take that offer and use the extra cap to rebuild and get better in other areas. Murray has proven he can be a very good point guard in this league.

That was a trash deal and that was declined along time ago. I wish ya'll would ignore the media. It's not in our favor. We aren't one of the teams they like. Terrible rumors will always make it to the top

Just pay attention to the deal and only the deal when it's done. Any rumors especially from the trash Lakers will always be horrible and it will never happen 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

I honestly don't know how to vote on this. I'm so torn. I would not trade Trae, and I don't want to trade DJ.

With a gun to my head, I suppose I would trade DJ...but the deal would have to be fantastic and I would still feel some kind of way.

I'm super anxious to see how this summer plays out.