• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks hiring Onsi Saleh as an Assistant GM

JayBirdHawk

Just now, AHF said:

My first blush reaction to this is really positive.  Lord knows we need someone with a deft and creative mind helping us on cap management and on maximizing the ins and outs of the salary cap in the trade context.  Given his background, I don't see a high risk of this introducing confusion on scouting, etc.  

I'm sure they already have someone on board that manages the cap?  They surely do? The Hawks don't want to go into the luxury tax so maybe they do need several cap experts who can keep them a penny under the tax while building the roster.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

I'm sure they already have someone on board that manages the cap?  They surely do? The Hawks don't want to go into the luxury tax so maybe they do need several cap experts who can keep them a penny under the tax while building the roster.

There is a difference between someone who is responsible for cap issues and someone who is really good at exploiting the rules.  I haven't seen any sign that we have someone who fits in the latter category.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is a difference between someone who is responsible for cap issues and someone who is really good at exploiting the rules.  I haven't seen any sign that we have someone who fits in the latter category.

You must mean the Falcons and their tampering? lmao

On a serious note, CAN you get around the luxury tax?

3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

You must mean the Falcons and their tampering? lmao

On a serious note, CAN you get around the luxury tax?

I wonder if the Hawks are going to attempt to tinker with deferred money as a way to stay under the luxury tax.

Just now, KB21 said:

I wonder if the Hawks are going to attempt to tinker with deferred money as a way to stay under the luxury tax.

I don't follow the NBA collective bargaining agreement or NBA rules as far as the cap because it would take a college degree.  If thats a possibility and needed, that would be the way to go.  Thats how it is done in the NFL.

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

First domino off the offseason. What does this mean for Kyle? More voices for decision making?

The new Schlenk I guess? lol

• Premium Member

If anything, this signals we're more serious about going into the luxury tax and want someone on board to manage that.  You don't need a cap expert to stay under the tax, but it would be very useful to have someone deeply understand (and be able to project forward) the ramification of each apron, the repeater, etc.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't think the CBA has 'deffered' money like the NFL