• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wednesday Insider

It is Wednesday right? Well, here's what is:

Draft Rumors: True lies, or a lot of Bull?

By Chad Ford

NBA Insider

Send an Email to Chad Ford Wednesday, June 25

Updated: June 25

9:21 AM ET

It's 2:13 a.m., and the phone rings with yet another GM who has a story to tell.

Michael Finley

Guard-Forward

Dallas Mavericks

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

69 19.3 5.8 3.0 .425 .861

"Are you up?" I am now.

"The Bulls are on the verge of a blockbuster. They're sending Donyell Marshall, Marcus Fizer, Eddie Robinson and the No. 7 pick to Dallas for Michael Finley."

Really?

Two hours earlier, the buzz had the Bulls sending Jalen Rose to Minnesota for Terrell Brandon and his expiring contract.

Juwan Howard

Power Forward

Denver Nuggets

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

77 18.4 7.6 3.0 .450 .803

A little before that came word that the Bulls weren't looking at a small forward anymore, because they were confident they were going to lock up Juwan Howard in free agency.

It isn't easy to connect the dots that late at night, but follow me for a second. Finley and Howard are Chicago natives, workout buddies in the summer, and they've both dreamed of playing for the Bulls one day.

GM John Paxson's goal is to win now. He wants to end the youth movement and begin surrounding Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford with veterans.

He also needs to make sure he has enough cap space to re-sign those young guys when their contracts start expiring next year. That's why shipping off Rose makes a whole lot of sense.

By 2:30 a.m., with the dots loosely connected, John Paxson is looking like a genius.

A starting lineup of Crawford, Finley, Howard, Chandler and Curry sounds pretty appealing. So does the extra $10 million in cap space Chicago likely will have next season after signing Crawford to an extension.

Not so fast.

In the world of the NBA draft, where subterfuge is the weapon of choice in ensuring the guy you want remains on the draft board until you pick, everything isn't always what it seems.

"I think that whole scenario is a product of 'Mark Cuban Productions,' " one assistant GM told Insider. "I've seen it too many times. That's too perfect for Dallas. They get two low post players and a young stud like [Mickael] Pietrus at No. 7. Be careful."

Good advice. Remember, it was Cuban who just days earlier began fueling the rumors of a sign-and-trade deal to bring Jason Kidd to Dallas.

One more late phone call wakes up my best source with the Bulls. "I'm under the impression we're not doing anything. Of course, that could change tomorrow."

It probably will. The real trade talk begins today. With time running out, offers become more serious, trade proposals more realistic and the pressure to make something happen gets turned to high.

Trade Talk

I wasn't the only one hearing that the Bulls were on the trading warpath. The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting a similar deal. According to that paper, Paxson was the one making the phone call to Dallas.

Meanwhile Donnie Nelson told the Dallas Morning News that the Big Three -- Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Finley -- were basically untouchable.

"We're at a stage now where the Big Three or Big Four (Nowitzki, Finley, Nash, Nick Van Exel ) have produced some pretty sweet music and some incredible results," Nelson said. "To tamper with that would take a significant deal. If you're ever going to break that up, it better be for a quantum leap. Otherwise, I think it would be a mistake. I would say I wouldn't look for that to happen."

Make of that what you will.

Vladimir Radmanovic

Power Forward

Seattle SuperSonics

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

72 10.1 4.5 1.3 .410 .706

No real news to report on the Sonics-Raptors talks. The deal sending Vladimir Radmanovic, Brent Barry and No. 12 to Toronto for Jerome Williams, Michael Bradley and the No. 4 is still on hold.

The Raptors are getting flooded with offers for the No. 4 pick and haven't made any decisions. The Knicks, Mavs, Celtics, Blazers and Sonics are all trying to get up to No. 4. So apparently are the Cavs.

The latest buzz has the Cavs offering Ricky Davis and Chris Mihm for Hakeem Olajuwon and the No. 4 pick. However the Raps won't give their No. 4 away unless someone takes one of their bad contracts (read: Jerome Williams) off their hands. Still, that wouldn't be a bad deal for the Cavs. Put LeBron James, Darius Miles, Chris Bosh and Dajuan Wagner on the floor, and the Cavs just might have something.

Ricky Davis

Guard-Forward

Cleveland Cavaliers

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

79 20.6 4.9 5.5 .410 .748

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting rumblings out of Detroit that the Pistons will trade point guard Chucky Atkins, forward Tayshaun Prince and center/forward Mehmet Okur for the Cavs' Ricky Davis.

Davis certainly would help the Pistons' scoring problems. But would Joe Dumars really do this deal? Losing Atkins isn't an issue, but he loves Prince, and Okur looks like he could turn into a major force down low. Of course, with the coming of Darko, maybe Okur is expendable.

It should be noted that both of these reports fly in the face of recent rumblings that Davis is off the block in Cleveland.

The Nuggets are tying to pick up a second first-round pick. With Carmelo Anthony the likely pick at No. 3, word is that the team is trying to package Rodney White and Marcus Camby for a player and a mid first-round pick.

"The question is, how much of our cap room we're really ready to give up," one Nuggets source told Insider. "But there are several guys we like around there."

Gilbert Arenas

Point Guard

Golden State Warriors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

82 18.3 4.7 6.3 .431 .791

Speaking of the Nuggets, their chances of landing Gilbert Arenas may have taken a hit. Insider reported Monday the Warriors were fliriting with picking Ndudi Ebi, a raw high school power forward, with the 11th pick.

We'll pause why you all say, "Huh?" Well, Skip Bayless of the San Jose Mercury News might have just filled in the blanks.

Ebi and Arenas are represented by the same agent, Dan Fegan. Could Fegan arrange to have Arenas sign for less in Golden State now if the Warriors promise to give Ebi some love at 11 and max-out Arenas in a new deal in two years?

It might not have to be 11, either. There's talk the Hawks and Warriors are talking about a swap that would send the No. 11 to the Hawks for the No. 21 and a future first-round pick. The Hawks would then select Louisville's Reece Gaines at 11, and the Warriors would take Ebi at 21.

Fegan has a history with the Warriors. He also represents Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy. But is he that powerful?

Arenas likely would be turning down at least $3 million a year over the next two years to re-sign with the Warriors rather than seek his fortune with the Nuggets. The most the Warriors can offer is the mid-level exception, which is supposed to start at around $4.9 million next year. The Nuggets likely would offer a deal starting at around $8 million a year. Because Arenas is a restricted free agent, to re-sign with his team it has to be at least a three-year deal with a player opt-out after year two.

That's a big risk. Injuries, a bad season or two and the possibility of the NBA finding out about the under the table agreement could come back to haunt Arenas and the Warriors. Just ask Joe Smith and the T-Wolves. And while Fegan and the Warriors would never be stupid enough to actually put something in writing, that could mean trouble down the road. Just ask Rashard Lewis, who felt the Sonics reneged on a max-out promise two seasons ago.

But the Warriors would be loathe to [censored] Fegan, considering he represents so many of their players. I'm not sure how realistic the scenario is, but it certainly makes sense at one level.

Stock Watch

Ndudi Ebi isn't the only one being mentioned as a surprise Warriors' pick on draft night. Two sources told Insider the team was also seriously looking at Yugoslavian forward Zarko Cabarkapa at No. 11.

The Warriors have been calling sources in Yugoslavia trying to do background checks on him. He has not worked out for the team.

Ford

Texas point guard T.J. Ford continues to slide on many draft boards. Several teams told Insider they're concerned about his back. According to the teams, he has a condition called spinal stenosis. While the condition is not career threatening, it could require surgery, which could cut into the summer league or training camp.

Combine that with his size (just a hair over 6-feet) and his weak perimeter shot, and it may be enough to push Ford down into the late lottery.

Central Michigan center Chris Kaman snuck into L.A. for a second workout with the Clippers on Sunday. He reportedly put on a much better performance than in his first one. How good? With the Clips sure they're losing Michael Olowokandi this offseason, Kaman might have moved back to the top of their draft board.

Payton

Are the Bucks still drafting a point guard? Over the last 24 hours a rumor has spread through the league that they now feel they'll be able to get Gary Payton re-signed. That's not a shocker from Payton's end. The free-agent market will be tough. But would the Bucks really re-sign him? With the team up for sale, are they really going to start signing guys to big multi-year deals?

If they do feel comfortable on Payton, the Bucks could go big and take someone like Kaman, Maciej Lampe or Nick Collison if they're still on the board at No. 8.

I think it's smoke. It's hard to believe they'll pass on Hinrich or Ford.

Marcus Banks may be the hottest name in the draft, but a questionable background check may be scaring off the Sonics at No. 14. It appears that if they keep the pick, they'll take Luke Ridnour or Reece Gaines. Banks probably won't slip past No. 17.

The Suns have narrowed their list down to Zarko Cabarkapa, Brian Cook and Luke Ridnour.

Weird rumor of the day. Are the Hornets flirting with Senegal's Malick Badiane at No. 18. While everyone loves his pro body and athleticism, he's a pretty big project. How long can New Orleans wait?

Workout News

Raptors: Coach Kevin O'Neill flew to New York on Tuesday to look at Kaman and Illinois forward Brian Cook. The Raps will take a look at Ford, Gaines and Lampe today in New York.

Knicks: Joining Kaman and Cook in New York on Tuesday was Penn's Ugonna Onyekwe, Arizona State's Tommy Smith, Ball State's Theron Smith, Weber State's Jermaine Boyette, North Carolina State's Josh Powell and Florida's Matt Bonner. Lampe, Gaines and Ford will be working out in New York today.

Heat Lampe worked out with Tennessee's Ron Slay and Siena's Prosper Karangwa on Tuesday. Rick Rickert will workout in Miami today.

Hawks: Senegal's Malick Badiane and Minnesota's Rickert were in town on Tuesday.

Jazz: Serbian Alexsandar Pavlovic and Xavier's David West worked out on Tuesday, along with North Dakota center-forward Jerome Beasley and SMU guard Quinton Ross. Today, the Jazz will work out Duke swingman Dahntay Jones, Notre Dame guard Matt Carroll and DePaul forward Sam Hoskin.

Sonics: The team worked out the Republic of Georgia's Zaur Pachulia on Tuesday.

Wizards: France's Paccelis Morlende and Croatia's Zoran Planinic worked out on Tuesday.

T-Wolves: The team will bring in Boston College's Troy Bell, along with Badiane and Minnesota's Jerry Holman today.

Cavs: Bell, Travis Hansen, Jason Kapono and Hollis Price worked out in Cleveland on Tuesday. Kyle Korver and Luke Walton are scheduled to work out today.

Don't count Bulls out of trade market

Roman Modrowski / Chicago Sun-Times

Mavericks open to trading No. 1 draft pick

Eddie Sefko / Dallas Morning News

Raptors looking to deal

Frank Isola / New York Daily News

Rumored scenario has Arenas staying

Skip Bayless / San Jose Mercury News

No Celt untouchable

Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

Grizzlies appear set to stick with 13th pick

Ronald Tillery / Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Peep Show

By Terry Brown

NBA Insider

Wednesday, June 25

Updated: June 25

11:06 AM ET

Williams

Chicago Bulls: Jay Williams may never play basketball again. But shortly after coming out of his second surgery to repair his pelvis, with many more planned to also repair his knee, he had a visit from a former coach who believes otherwise."I would be shocked if he didn't play," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said in the Chicago Tribune. "He's a different athlete. On the assembly line of putting people together, somehow it stopped on him and gave him whatever it gave him. I just have to think that those things will come out in the rehab." Coach K was able to visit the fallen star last Friday and Williams' teammates, many of whom have been turned away by hospital staff due to the severity of his condition, may be allowed access to him at the end of this week.

Boston Celtics: Vin Baker has completed a program to deal with his alcohol-related problems and is now turning his attention to basketball. "He's going to go to the traditional places where the best games are going on and measure himself that way," said someone close to Baker in the Boston Herald. "He decided he'd rather go against veteran NBA guys than play with rookies and free agents in a summer league situation." The source said Baker will play in Chicago, Miami and L.A. to rehab his game as well as hire the same trainer Alonzo Mourning utilized on his return to the game.

Detroit Pistons: According to the Detroit News, the Pistons never said they wanted to trade Richard Hamilton in the past and don't want to in the future. "I mean, how do you respond to something that is not true," Detroit president Joe Dumars said. "And people just run away with a story. We never had that conversation." A report out of New York earlier in the week had the team eager to drop Hamilton, its leading scorer last season, and Corliss Williamson and said new coach Larry Brown was in favor of drafting Carmelo Anthony with the second pick rather than Darko Milicic.

Williams has 2nd pelvic operation

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

Road key to Baker return

Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

New York report flusters Hamilton

Terry Foster / Detroit News

Because.....

A. We need someone other than Jason Terry that can actually dribble the basketball.

B. We need the long range shooting capabilities that Reece Gaines brings to the table.

C. We need the athleticism Reece Gaines brings to the table.

This is a guy who can play with or without the ball. He can set the offense at times, and he can be a scorer at times. He's the perfect compliment for Jason Terry in the back court.

Reece Gaines would give the Hawks the option of having a big point guard. He would give the Hawks a player who is capable of coming in now and starting, unlike what they would probably get at 21.

If the Hawks got Reece Gaines, they could line up tomorrow with Terry, Gaines, Robinson, Abdur-Rahim, and Ratliff as the starters. If they took at guy like Diaw-Riffiod, then the chances that he could come in and start are slim, IMO. His game, while he has a good base, is still underdeveloped for the NBA.

then Gaines is probably the best fit out there. Period. The more I think about it, drafting Gaines at #11 is probably our best chance to be a playoff contender as quickly as possible. If we are going to commit to JT long term, we almost HAVE to do it.

Draft Gaines at #11, Resign JT, DJ and Glover, sign K Willis and K Anderson to 2 yr veteran's minimum deals and call it a day.

Theo/Nazr/Willis

Reef/Hendu

Dog/DJ/*CC

Gaines/Glover

JT/K Anderson/DD

*IR

If it doesn't work, Reef, Dog, Theo, Hendu, CC, Willis and Anderson will all be FA's after 04/05 and we build from there.

I like it.

We don't need to give up another 1st round pick.

Gaines is good, but there are guys like Diaw, Delfino, Planinic even Marquis Grissom, English that could be had in the later part of the 1st round. Heck a guy like Ezra Williams most likely won't be drafted and could be brought in for a summer run. Williams 6'4" with great handles, can play some point. Great shooter. Wouldn't you bet that Jerry West would like to get his hands on who ever F@#^*d up this years 1st round pick.

as Gaines. Gaines is a 6'6" combo guard who is ready to play RIGHT NOW. According to most things I've read, Diaw and Planninic are AT LEAST a year or two away and English is nowhere near the player that Gaines is. As for Delfino, from what I've read, hes not ready yet and he's not really a good fit anyway.

As for Ezra, he is too slow and not athletic enough to be an ideal backcourt mate for JT. I could see Ezra having a Hubert Davis type career at best.

I wouldn't give up an unprotected pick for the right to move to #11. The pick would need to be lottery protected for SEVERAL years and top 3 protected FOREVER. That being said, I'd give up #21 and a future pick in the teens for Gaines.

Because of the athleticism, ball handling, and the defense they bring:

1. Reece Gaines PG/SG 6-6 205 Louisville

2. Boris Diaw-Riffiod SG/SF 6-9 201 Pau Orthez

3. Travis Hansen SG 6-6 210 Brigham Young

4. Carl English PG/SG 6-6 205 Hawaii

But, I think there is a drop off from 1 to 2 in the amount of impact that can be made by these players.

I don't even know if Diaw will be in the rotation as a rookie, let alone start. I am in no way sold on this guy. I read his interview over at Hoopshype and he doesn't even sound confident in his own ability. No wonder his aggresiveness is being questioned.

I hope we can work out a deal for Gaines or that Barbosa is on the board at #21. Outside of that, I hope that a player like Hayes, Lampe or Pavlovic falls and we take him on the best player available theory. As a last resort, I fully expect Josh Howard to be there at #21 and I would take him if all the guys I wanted were gone.