Sixers--open practice at PSU

Plastic Man

Last Friday (10/3) I had the chance to see the Sixers hold their free open practice at Penn State. I'm die-hard Hawks (stuck in Sixerland)but still am a fan and student of the game, so I had to check it out. I was able to sit at midcourt about 5 rows behind the team benches for the scrimmage. Besides just being hard-up for some hoops action, I wanted to see Brand at work, and check up on Ivey and Lou Will's progress.

Brand looks great on both ends. He is such a beast on offense. He just bangs and digs until he's fouled or open. Amazing how he can be a bulldozer, yet have such great touch. One thing I hadn't noticed about him before--he's an excellent passer. He recognizes a double-team coming and he's already chosen his target. Dalembert should have a career year offensively (to Brand's credit).

I had heard that Ivey was a standout defensively the first few days of camp. He played backup to Andre Miller in the scrimmage and was solid running the point, knocking down the open J, and finishing in the paint. He ended up guarding Lou Will most of the time and did a fine job. He will make the team and get decent minutes especially if he keeps hitting that open J.

Lou Will is relentless going to the hole. He looked wild at times with some streetball moves but he is nearly unguardable when he stays under control. He (unlike Iggy) is showing confidence and consistency in his perimeter game. If Thad Young wasn't playing so well, LW could start at SG with Iggy at SF.

Thad Young has come a long way in a year. Everyone knew he had talent but I (being a GT fan) didn't expect him to look this good already. His athleticism and skills are remarkable, and he plays hard on both ends. I can't really think of a good NBA comparison past or present--he's a rare breed and doesn't have any apparent weaknesses (lefties rule!) He will start at SF.

Was Woody coaching his scrimmage squad?

img0501fy0.jpg

img0502qe8.jpg