• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2010-2011 Hawks Evaluations

MrRyda

Jeff Teague: A-

The most consistent player on the team during the Bulls series, might be the most exciting aspect of our team to look forward to for next season. After essentially two years of limited minutes and countless DNP's, Jeffrey the boy evolved into a MAN and might have finally given us our long-term solution at point guard.

Joe Johnson: C+

Statistically, by far his worst year as a Hawk. We've all been read the chronicles of the contract numerous times, but with the contract, comes the responsibility of leadership. You have to bring your A-game EVERY night. When Joe is on, he can look the part of a max player (see Game 1 vs. Bulls). But there's too much inconsistency and too many nights where the mentality is too lethargic. Too much dribbling with no purpose. Other guys have also got to consistently hit shots when Joe passes out of a double. His assists numbers should be a lot higher than they were.

Kirk Hinrich: B

Looking at his stat sheet since the trade isn't eye-popping, but his presence brought solid defensive intensity. Which in turn, translated to other players on the team. Wish he would have played during the Bulls series.

Al Horford: B-

How is that Al makes All-Star and All-NBA, but completely forgets about his accolades towards the latter part of the season? Somewhere from between being declared as the "Captain of the Hawks" on Hawksquawk and being bullied around by Amare like a french maid, Al forgot about who he was. He was once our most consistent Hawk, and it made his late-season decline all the more depressing. Needs to come back mentally tougher. Hitting the weight room wouldn't hurt either.

Josh Smith: B

Before the start of every game, every Hawks fan asks themselves, "Which Josh will we get tonight?" He's most likely caused you a headache or two during the course of the season, but when he's getting paint on his shoes, he's quite the force on both ends. He was doing all he could to carry us on his back towards the latter part of the Bulls series. Just needs to play within himself and watch his eating habits during the offseason.

Marvin Williams: F

The jester of the inmates. What was once "not living up to his potential" has now become the butt of every squawker's wisecracks. I hope he finds whatever sport he's trying to play at some point before his senescence, but for the love of God I hope it's not in a Hawks uniform.

Jamal Crawford: C

I like Craw, and I hope he signs a reasonable contract to stay with us...but man does he play selfish basketball. Even stated that the burden of his contract situation was constantly impacting his play at times. But when he's on, he's the ideal 6th man.

Zaza Pachulia: A-

The man gives you his all every night and that's all you can ask for. He's also solid entertainment.

Damien Wilkins: B

Should have played the bulk of Marvin's minutes during the playoffs. Solid intensity off the bench.

Jason Collins: B-

The human umbrella. You're not going to use it often, but hang onto it and it'll come in handy from time-to-time.

Pape Sy: B-

I hope he stays with us just for the marketing appeal.

Hilton Armstrong: B-

He has this weird habit of performing awkward antics at the very end of games. It's actually pretty funny.

Josh Powell: ?

Umm...

Etan Thomas: ...

Who?

Larry Drew: B-

Has a ways to go, but he can be a solid coach in the NBA. Those Inside the Huddle segments on TNT/ESPN shed a new light to my opinion of LD. He played the part and said everything right. At times a coach can be fulfilling his role, but it's always up to the players to listen. With that said, there's no doubt that Josh's shot selection has somehow declined under his tenure and his use of Crawford at point guard was a constant head scratcher. The number of ISO plays has decreased since Woody but it's still a continual issue.

Rick Sund: F

So we finally seem to draft right, but before you know it, the kid is off to Washington where he's pulling off triple-doubles and scoring 39 points on the Miami Heat defense. Kirk is solid, but considering Teague's role, was the trade ultimately necessary?

Feel free to post your own evaluations. :drinks:

Jeff Teague- B: I think that you should make it where the coach has no choice but to play you. You have to be too good for him not to play you and I am saying that from my failed experience. He did not do that, but when he finally got his chance with the lights on he looked like he shined brighter than anyone not named Derrick Rose. I look forward to him starting and giving atleast 13 pts 5 assists and solid D in about 35 minutes next year. Which will be good in a 1st year starter.

Kirk Hinrich-C: I think we gave up too much for him. I also do not think he was consistent during his regular season stint with the Hawks. Kirk's shining moment was a playoff series in which he simply helped us get back to where we had been the 2 previous years, but as I stated it came at a steep cost IMO. I really have the mind to give him a D but most of my problem with him is really my problem with LD and Sund so he gets a C.

Joe Johnson- C-: Joe had as close to a poor season as you can have IMO. He was inconsistent but still managed to carry us for a month and make the all-star team. He is not a superstar and is severly overpaid but that is not his fault, once again that is on Sund. Also the change in offense approach did not really fit him.

Jamal Crawford- C: Jamal gave you about what you should expect for a one dimensional player. When he was good he was really good. When he was bad, you know the rest. Hope he is not resigned unless it is for a Bibby type contract of 3 yr $20 million, and I would even be hesistant about that.

Marvin Williams-F: Horrible as a basketball player. Hope he is moved this summer. My hobbie may be coming up with trade ideas for this guy.

Damien Wilkins-B: For a minimum player he sure offers value.

Josh Smith-C-: This was not a good overall year for Josh. Josh reverted to bad habits in a lot of ways. He took to many jumpers, restarted taking 3's, did not block shots like he had earlier in his career. He did not lose 15 pounds like LD reportedly asked him to do in the off-season. I just think Josh did too much his way this year instead of doing what was best for the team. All that said he had probably 20 nights during regular season where he carried the team, atleast 20.

Josh Powell-D: Pick and pop and nothing else for a team that needed rebounding, toughness, and energy from the bench.

Al Horford- B-: During the regular season for the most part Al was our best player. His automatic regular season mid range jumper carried us at times. His rebounded was good for the most part and he showed emotion from time to time. Then the playoffs happened. I can't throw away everything he did for a sample as small as 12 games. Getting knocked down by Griffin and making those game winning free throws was most memorable moment of regular season.

Zaza Pachulia-C-: I really want to give Zaza a D but I don't expect much for a guy that makes less than $5 million a year, but he needs to be a lot more consistent to give bang for the buck for the cheap ASG and Hawks front office and he just wasn't. Honestly, Zaza showed up about 35% of the regular season and that may be being nice to him. They tried to trade him at the break for a reason he was just not putting up. His play improved after the all-star break but you have to remember the all-star break comes after 50+ games have been played in a 82 game season.

Jason Collins- B: I thought he should have been used more he is our best position defender on the team and could have really helped out more at times. He got into better shape and answered the call most time when called upon. He gives you bang for the buck and should be looked at hard for coming back at the minimum.

JC2-B-: Look when he was here with us, the Hawks he showed flashes of being able to play. From Summer League to garbage minutes he showed that he just needed minutes. Honestly, from time to time he showed more than Teague if you look at summer league and garbage minutes.

I look forward to seeing a true C, a SF upgrade, a energy guy that needs to be a physical rebounder, and a bench guy whose speciality is a knock down shooter added to this team. Doubt all that will happen but if it does, even with no major changes to the core, I think we are right back in the 2nd round next year with a chance to knock Miami, Chicago, New York, or Boston out and move to the ECFinals.

Almost forget:

ASG= F, we don't have what we need and that is there job IMO, though I get the notion they think it is to make money.

Sund=F, we don't have what we need and we gave up too much in that trade.

Drew= C-, He should not be looked at as just any rookie coach. This rookie coach had been an assistant for 20 years, played in the NBA for 10+ years, and had been around this core for multiple years. I don't feel right giving him a break for losing 9 more regular season games with the same core or implementing a lot of bad thought processes or rules, such as 2 foul, and hide Teague like Bin Laden. Sorry

Edited by TRUEINTELLECTPLAYA