• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks have proven my friend wrong.....

KenDixon

Haven't stayed in touch with him the last few years but a decade ago my friend (an NAIA assistant coach) said the NBA and in much if NCAA div. 1, the players were too big to play true team basketball. The athleticism of the big men meant the passing lanes were all but closed and you just couldn't throw the ball around in a half court situation any more. He was saying as the NBA and college filled with more big men who could actually handle the ball like a point guard and play defense both outside and inside it was causing the game to become more about one on one match ups.  I really bought in to what he was saying because watching the smaller players of the NAIA, their game just looked more beautiful to me. Everyone touching the ball, lots of movement, lots of assists. 

They weren't better obviously, but having only one guy above 6 foot 6 on the floor at the time did seem to open it up more for crisp passes all around team play on the court. 

What's making this so fun now is watching this same thing at the NBA level. I wonder what he would say about the Hawks. 

• Like 3