• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DMC is Our Defensive Anchor

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

He is the heart and soul of this Hawks team. Most commentators say that the Hawks go as Jeff Teague goes, but I don't believe that's 100% true. We are better when Teague is playing aggressive, but it's Demarre's grit that sparks the Hawks. Him crashing the boards for rebounds, causing turnovers to start fastbreaks, and his willingness to be physical and attack the hoop... and that's why any center we target in free agency doesn't have to be a defensive juggernaut; he just has to hold his own. Guys like Monroe, Lopez, and Jefferson would work here because our perimeter defense is good and Horford is no pushover on defense. We improve our starting rotation by moving Horford to 4 and signing a 2 guard (Afflalo, Matthews, Butler) that moves KK to the bench, and I have no doubt that the Hawks will be back in the ECF next season.

I think Bud favors his rotating defense over the Centers you named.  We play defense as a team full of rotating parts and those centers will not fit the role.  I'm not against a more traditional style of offense or defense but Bud may be.  I think he prefers playing position-less basketball and having 5 players that are well-rounded on both ends of the court.  Bigs that can play inside and out on both ends.

I think Bud favors his rotating defense over the Centers you named.  We play defense as a team full of rotating parts and those centers will not fit the role.  I'm not against a more traditional style of offense or defense but Bud may be.  I think he prefers playing position-less basketball and having 5 players that are well-rounded on both ends of the court.  Bigs that can play inside and out on both ends.

Hmmm... Isn't that what He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named wanted? 

• Moderators

I'd argue that the center's we have now aren't defensive juggernauts. It seems to me that the Squawk believes we need a guy that can rebound and protect the rim. I don't believe this is true. Our center doesn't have to be great at defense because we do play team defense; as long as he fits on the offensive end which Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol, Lemarcus Aldridge, and Greg Monroe does. Not saying we have a chance at any of those guys because it sounds like Gasol loves Memphis and Aldridge is heading to Texas, but we shouldn't fret if the Hawks are considering a center that isn't a bonafide rim protector or maybe slow footed. As long as he can shoot, make quick decisions, and pass the basketball, he will fit.

• Like 1

I'd argue that the center's we have now aren't defensive juggernauts. It seems to me that the Squawk believes we need a guy that can rebound and protect the rim. I don't believe this is true. Our center doesn't have to be great at defense because we do play team defense; as long as he fits on the offensive end which Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol, Lemarcus Aldridge, and Greg Monroe does. Not saying we have a chance at any of those guys because it sounds like Gasol loves Memphis and Aldridge is heading to Texas, but we shouldn't fret if the Hawks are considering a center that isn't a bonafide rim protector or maybe slow footed. As long as he can shoot, make quick decisions, and pass the basketball, he will fit.

I'm saying that I don't think Bud wants a center that can't be trusted outside of the paint on defense (i.e. Jefferson, Monroe, Lopez)

• Like 1

I'm saying that I don't think Bud wants a center that can't be trusted outside of the paint on defense (i.e. Jefferson, Monroe, Lopez)

Agreed, both Al Jeff and Monroe struggle on the PnR, not sure about R. Lopez though. Horford ability to step out and guard the perimter and still have the quickness to rotate back is his advantage.

Edit: for some reason I thought we were talking Robin Lopez not Brook.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

What?

Why media is not hyping him. I would rather even cal Horford heart and soul of the game than DMC and Teague, but horf doesnt do between the legs behind the back.