• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm falling in love with...

Tyler Ulis. I know he is listed at 5'9" and weighs about 150 but I think there is something special in this kid. He's got a lot of heart, which we desperately need, he is a floor general who gets everyone involved, and he pushes the tempo. 

If Teague is traded, I wouldn't mind this pick at all at #21. @AHF, you watch a lot of Kentucky, what do you think. He reminds me a lot of CP3, maybe that's a bad comparison, but he seems to have similar traits.

• Moderators

Ulis was a fantastic college player.  Such good skills and instincts.  I said his freshman year that if they would have made him the starter and not gone with the twins that they would have won a ring and I have no doubt of that.  Last year, he stepped up into a big role and showed such great instincts and feel for the game along with a strong skill set.  I love everything about him other than his height.  On the extremes, he could turn out to be a very good starting PG in this handchecking era or not make it because of his size.  I think the middle ground and my projection has him as a very good rotation piece - stud backup, marginal starter.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ulis was a fantastic college player.  Such good skills and instincts.  I said his freshman year that if they would have made him the starter and not gone with the twins that they would have won a ring and I have no doubt of that.  Last year, he stepped up into a big role and showed such great instincts and feel for the game along with a strong skill set.  I love everything about him other than his height.  On the extremes, he could turn out to be a very good starting PG in this handchecking era or not make it because of his size.  I think the middle ground and my projection has him as a very good rotation piece - stud backup, marginal starter.

That's awesome thanks!  I've been watching a lot of him and he seems to have that "it" factor. I'm not sure what "it" consists of but it feels like he is a hard worker with a ton on heart who might not let his size slow him down. Also I saw this article that argues he could have been the Wildcats most efficient point guard under coach Cal. His offensive rating and assists/turnover ratio is pretty good. 

Peachtree has us taking him at 21, I've seen a lot of other mocks having him going 20 to Indy, 24 to Philly, 25 to the Clippers and some even in round 2. He really passes the eye/heart test for me. For once I'd like us to draft a kid with a lot of heart.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/3/12/11211760/tyler-ulis-nba-draft-kentucky-wildcats-ncaa-tournament

Edited by Spud2Nique

8 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

I would like him as a backup to schro but a 1st round pick is too expensive. I rather take wade Baldwin who has even more upside or just use a 2nd rounder on a backup pg. 

I need a wing in the 1st preferably

I agree with a wing but I also love the approach of drafting the BPA. I'm really impressed with Ulis though, damn this kid's got a great heart and a great mind for the game. You can't really put a price on that.

• 9 months later...
On 6/6/2016 at 2:47 PM, Spud2Nique said:

Tyler Ulis. I know he is listed at 5'9" and weighs about 150 but I think there is something special in this kid. He's got a lot of heart, which we desperately need, he is a floor general who gets everyone involved, and he pushes the tempo. 

If Teague is traded, I wouldn't mind this pick at all at #21. @AHF, you watch a lot of Kentucky, what do you think. He reminds me a lot of CP3, maybe that's a bad comparison, but he seems to have similar traits.

Dang it I knew I loved this kid. He's got heart I don't care if he weighs 149 or 109. 

34 points 9 rebounds 9 assists

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Dang it I knew I loved this kid. He's got heart I don't care if he weighs 149 or 109. 

34 points 9 rebounds 9 assists

Empty. Stats. Shawty.

After seeing PHX go all 'LiMelo Ball' to get Booker 70 points, I won't get excited at all over anything anyone on that Suns team does stat-wise.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Empty. Stats. Shawty.

After seeing PHX go all 'LiMelo Ball' to get Booker 70 points, I won't get excited at all over anything anyone on that Suns team does stat-wise.

No no don't get it twisted. Ulis is a team player. Melo wants to live in NY and be a ball hog and never win. Big difference. 

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

No no don't get it twisted. Ulis is a team player. Melo wants to live in NY and be a ball hog and never win. Big difference. 

LiMelo Ball is the kid who scored 92 in a HS game by cherry-picking the whole time.

On Ulis, I know he's not a 'me' guy.  What I'm saying is the numbers put up by Suns players late in the season should be ignored.  That team has become an AAU team meaning it's all about individual numbers.  Results are secondary.  The problem is, this isn't just a 'late season, oh well we ain't going to the playoffs' phenomenon.  It's what they're all about now, only they don't seem to realize it.  They're sneakily PHI 6ers-West.