• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

As a Hawks fan should we try for

Scott

In order to bring excitement and an aura around the team we are going to have to shoot for the "Vick effect" - bring in the one guy to be a savior. That is what draws in the ATL, and anywhere else imo. Even though I don't like Kobe that much maybe we should build around Kobe with what we have and another 6-8 million addition to go with what we get in the draft, of course, that is IF and a big IF Kobe wants to take this franchise on his shoulders.

In a way, Atlanta would be the ideal location for free-agent to be Kobe Bryant. And for once I'm not talking about his desire to be free of "the Big Shadow," the constant competition of the West, or the fact that the young buck wants a team to call his own, to mold to fit him....

I'm talking about the fact that, esp. prior to last summer, the demographic that Kobe had the most ability to relate to was the innercity. He was suburb bred, and, as highlighted in a page 2 article last year, desperately lacked "street cred." However, things have changed some, with his golden boy image shattered with alledged rape charges...which prompted Kobe to endowe himself with a rather large crown tattoo on his right arm (body art was something that Bryant was not previously noticable for).

Coming to Atlanta, what some call the "black mecca" might give Kobe the opportunity to further his credibility to african american demographic...which comprises much of the NBA's fan base....

If the Hawks managed to land Kobe, I guarantee the city would be in an uproar and the fans would respond in a MAJOR way. I know I would go to more games. And I completely agree with Weez--imagine Kobe in the East! In addition, you're right that the scenario is perfect for him; it can be "his" team, and the Atlanta media and fanbase isn't nearly as scrutinizing as other sports markets.