• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mission Accomplished in Boston

jaywalker72

After their undefeated run through the Shaw’s Summer League in Boston, Summer Head Coach Eric Musselman wanted to count the ways the Hawks got what they wanted out of their trip to Boston, and RealGM was ready to write them down.

Musselman talks about the efforts of Dion Glover, stands up for DerMarr Johnson, and talks about the play of rookie Dan Dickau and the reason Dickau played few minutes in the last game against Boston.

Also, should the coach expect to pack up for the west coast (say, maybe Oakland) soon?

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/

Great article as usual Jay. Some things that I found interesting.

In reply to:

Musselman went on, “The biggest thing was his defense was terrific. In every game, we put him on the top scorer from the other team. He played every one of them tough. He absolutely shut down Kedrick Brown today and held him to one field goal. Brown would have been the MVP of the league if Boston had won. In fact, it’s safe to say that Dion doesn’t win MVP in this league if it wasn’t for DerMarr throughout the six games.”

Not bad at all considering that Brown would have likely been a lottery pick this year had he waited another year to declare for the draft, so DJ was matched up against an equal talent and not some summer league scrub. I didnt know that he shut him down so well, very impressive.

In reply to:

Musselman also liked the play of Dickau in the league reiterating that he will be ready to play an important role in the rotation.

“He sees the floor so well, and has the passion to succeed. He’s ready today to step in and play 20-25 minutes for us.”

It shocked me when ESPN said after the draft that they wouldnt be surprised to see Dickau starting by opening day, and while that isnt very likely to happen it is still quite surprising that the team is ready to play him so much. Keep in mind how much time our rookies usually play and thats part of why its so shocking to see them talking about Dickau playing that much. Maybe this will be the year that the Hawks get a steal from the draft. Its about damn time.

In reply to:

They also lead the league in scoring (86ppg), and featured the league MVP in Glover.

Nothing to say about this other than thats quite impressive.

That I am going to miss EMuss a ton.

Always shoots straight....always accessible....and a fun guy to talk hoops with....

He is going to get the job, and I have that sneaking suspicion we'll wish WE had given him the shot....

He had terrific things to say about the team, especially the fact that they played so unselfishly and understood the team goals.

Its one of those things that you cannot help though and you can only hope that you will find another great young coaching prospect to take his place. No doubt that Muss is underappreciated by Hawks fans because he didnt get the same amount of press as Lon or even Mahorn, but he is a quality guy and I certainly wish him well.

I wont have any regrets though because I am a major fan of Lon, and I know I am in the minority here, but thats okay........he will prove all of the naysayers wrong either this year or next. He always succeeds wherever he goes and Atlanta wont be an exception.

Back to Muss though, I gotta say though that I hope he is wrong about one thing. I sure hope that somehow someway we end up keeping Bennett. This guy is really long and has a lot of talent. It would be a shame to lose him.

I wish we would keep Eric and can Lon.You can just

tell by looking at Mussleman he has basketball knowledge

and you can see that he see's the game really well.

It sucks we have lost Mahorn and now likely Mussleman

the two best coaches on our staff.He will help GS alot

by simply giving them a stable game plan and rotation

and I believe he will put trust into the right players there.

What makes you think that we should fire Lon? Lon has succeded EVERY place he has ever been. He hasnt been given a fair chance here yet because of injuries and young players. Now this year we should have a healthy team and Lon should be a lot more used to coaching in the NBA. He is going to be a very good head coach. He is no Tim Floyd thats for damn sure. I hate losing Muss, but I dont care about losing Mahorn. I wasnt very impressed with our toughness, which is what he was supposed to bring to us, and I havent heard of anyone knocking down his door to hire him either.

Reasons:

1)Lon doesn't have a pro coaching style

2)We haven't won anything

3)We aren't going to win anything next year either

4)He likes to play small ball too much when we don't have the offense to make

up for it.

5)Our players aren't motivated that much.We had a very easy schedule

in the second half of the season and it saved his job.

6)We will get blown out by 40 points and he will still clap...Good job guys!

just like I taught ya!

Lon is obviousally as nice guy and he was a good college coach..

but he will follor Rick P and Tim Floyd.

1. Kruger gets this year to show his value, because to say we haven't won anything is to say that we were ready to win the last two seasons, which because of the inexperience, we weren't.

2. The players really do like Lon, in fact, as described by Bill Shanks, it was Lon's calming influence that balanced out the sometimes grating tones of Musselman.

Don't underestimate the respect the players have for Lon. They have bought into his coaching, and want to win for him.

It just remains to be seen this season if they can move that winning further...

3. The players are very motivated. When everyone was telling them to tank it, they played through and got some valuable experience winning last season.

It was this winning that gave them the momentum to believe that they are playoff bound this season.

4. Lon gets tough off the court, in the locker room, etc. He doesn't see the need in publicly humiliating players (neither do I), and showed his resolve by placing Dion right on the bench when he continuously got beat defensively last season.

You don't have to be PJ Carleisimo to be tough, just at the right times and places.

Now, while I prefer Musselman, that doesn't mean I don't think Lon can coach, just that EMuss is more my style. That's probably what you're saying, too.

Finally, come on ARR, don't blow this season off already! At least give it opening night before you throw in the towel....lol....

Finally, come on ARR, don't blow this season off already! At

least give it opening night before you throw in the towel....lol...."

I stick by my saying...I'd rather be wrong and surprised than wrong

and dissapointed.

"2. The players really do like Lon, in fact, as described by Bill Shanks,

it was Lon's calming influence that balanced out the sometimes grating

tones of Musselman."

Maybe Lon is to soft.Mohammad was more soft this season than when

we traded for him.Hanno Mottola would continue to make stupid mistakes

all the time and give up 3 point plays without punishment.

"Don't underestimate the respect the players have for Lon. They have

bought into his coaching, and want to win for him."

Maybe they do,but his flawed coaching will not allow it.

"3. The players are very motivated. When everyone was telling them to

tank it, they played through and got some valuable experience winning

last season."

That valuable experience costed us Caron Butler/Woods and other guys.

Future sure would look bright with Butler as our future starting SF

instead of Miami's.

once again I must chime in.

I found the job Lon did last year admirable at the least.

Ratliff, Henderson, Kukoc, Crawford, Dion, Davis and Vaughn all missed substantial time last year. Not one of those guys is a superstar, but even L.A. would dump their bench to add those 7 healthy. 319 player games lost to injury. That's just under 4 a game or 1/3 of the team.

Now, who does this remind me of. The San Antonio Spurs of 96-97. David Robinson and Sean Elliot Go down for the season. Various other players in the rotation are all out from time to time. How did they do? Poorly enough to land Tim Duncan with the top pick in the draft.

Lon won over 30 games with what?

2 starting guards under 6-2. An underweight 6-9 small forward who should've been a junior in College and another small forward who was exiled to the CBA....a throw away backup center from Philly and SAR. and he won 40% of his games. My god, Hanno and Bowdler were a real part of the rotation. Toni's feet hurt so bad he couldn't cut or shoot real jumpers. Henderson was 15 pounds heavier when he came back because he couldn't do cardio while injured and we still won 33 games.

Lon Should've been coach of the year last year. He didn't have a consistent game plan because he didn't have consistent game on the floor. Kudos for being flexible and trying to win with what he had left. If, and this is a big if, the hawks can limit the injuries....specifically to J.T., SAR and Theo...all 3 are the core of the team as built and the Hawks commit to a lineup as such, JT/Dion/DJ/SAR/Theo starting with DD/IRA/Toni/Hendu/Nazr backing them up and Crawford mending on the bench with Haslem or Smith as the 12th man, then they are legit contenders for the E.C. Take a look at it logically. The only place we're small is Center. But dang that team can run and shoot.

I honestly hate all the trade talk right now. I hate people questioning the long term plan. For the first time in years (fratello days) we have a long term plan. Salary cap room on the way and a deep bench. Players that can step on your chest and dunk. A real 5 man transition game and backups that can shoot from outside.

Injuries killed the Hawks last year, but it also made them better...much better. Tons of playing time for Nazi, DJ and crew. What did Lon do best last year? He didn't panic, throw in the towel, or turn on his players (ala Tim Floyd or Larry Brown). Give him time. Just like the Spurs, the best thing to happen to the Hawks were all the injuries. Now they're in a spot to compete.

O.K.....Back off the soap box.

Now on to Diesel, BlackHawkDown and Hawksfreak.

I must applaud Diesel for his effort on his trade ideas. Though I don't agree with his insistence to upgrade through trades (I believe in building through scouting, drafting and coaching...but I'm patient), give the guy props for effort and research. Buddy, put some of that effort into keeping our players healthy and I'm on the bandwagon.

BHD, I feel you brother. But cut the Euro's a little slack. I agree they are way over valued but a little Euro here or there on your squad as a spot up shooter is a good thing. Most Euro's bring a more fundementally sound (albeit boring) game and can't help but push the real talented kids of todays game to be more rounded players...but your right, I hate hearing, "and SLitsuSIcOv passes to irkviken mein Heiney in the Corner"....perhaps they should adopt XFL names if their gonna play here like, "He can't pronounce me" or "Just call me ski"

Hawksfreak....you're improving buddy, but a quick etiquette lesson. Don't ask repeatedly if everyone likes your articles. Just look at how ofter they're read or responded to and you'll know. Asking for acceptance is a huge sign of immaturity. Lay low and you'll get more acceptance. And don't send another 4 letter word laced pm to me...it's juvenile.

Guest Walter

I will continue to have many reservations about DJ ever reaching his vast potential as he seemingly lacks the instinct, skills, without the ball game, and scoring ability to take over games in any traditional sense, but if EMuss thinks this highly of him then maybe DJ will progress further than his hard road so far suggests.

W