• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks.com Marvin Williams Workout Report

Lascar78

As usual, not much info from hawks.com

marvin_workout_062205_170.jpg

marvin_062205_150.jpg

Quotes from Williams after his workout:

(On what he is out to prove in his workouts)

“Everything. I am going to try to work on every aspect of my game. I am young, so I need to learn as much as I can. I’m just trying to get bigger, faster, and stronger.”

(On what he thinks of the Hawks)

“I would like to play here, it would be nice. There are some young guys here like myself, like Josh Smith who is the same age as me, so it would be nice to get to play with a classmate.”

(On Dominique Wilkins)

“It’s fun to see him. I grew up watching him, I remember seeing him in the dunk contest against Michael Jordan, we watched that sometimes back in Chapel Hill. Obviously, he was a great player.”

(On being projected as a top pick even though he didn’t start in college)

“Well, I played on a National Championship team. Sean May played in front of me, and he was the MVP of the Final Four. Jawad Williams played in front of me, and he was the team captain and a senior. With those guys ahead of me I had to just sit back and learn, and I was fortunate enough to get to do that, it was a big help to me. I wanted to win, and we all had to make sacrifices to make that happen, and that’s what we did.”

(On why he worked out for the Hawks)

“I approached it like I want to be here, and hopefully they want me to be here as well.”

(On what the biggest challenge will be in the NBA)

“Probably the lifestyle. There are so many games, and they are so close together, it will be a definite adjustment.”

(On if he has already talked to NBA vets about the league)

“Yeah, I’ve been talking to a bunch of guys. I talk to (the Clippers’) Shaun Livingston a lot. We talked a lot during the season, so he is someone I know I can lean on to find out how the league works.”

The humility in knowing that he has a lot to learn and much to prove makes Marvin:

a) more of a Knight/Woodson player than Bogut.

b) my preference for our pick (though I've been in Bogut's camp since midseason)

You just can't approach workouts (and the league in general) like you've already arrived. The only potential positive in Bogut's proud comments is that the desire to not be the "next great white stiff" might be as strong as Marvin's motivation to realize his potential.

Skaughty