I'm 50/50 on Eddie Curry

He's a young, athletic center who is about to enter the prime of his career....BUT... He isn't the defensive Center that I want us to get(I feel like there is more athletic, SHOTBLOCKING Centers out there like Dally and Chandler)

I wouldn't mind us getting Curry, but I feel we need a shotblocker like Dally or Chandler...SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE ME 100 PERCENT FOR EDDIE CURRY!!!!

The Hawks need low post scoring especially if Al leaves via a sign and trade. Most of Curry's flaws such as rebounding and blocking shots can be covered by Childress and Smoove and maybe Marvin as well. Smoove blocks shots the best when they come in help situations, so if Curry were to get in trouble then Smoove could come flying in for the block. Also, Smoove and Childress have shown to be great rebounders for their posistion and Marvin looks like he could be that way as well. Rebounding wasnt really a weakness for this team last year even with the centers we had. So if you look at it that way then Curry fits very well into the mold of this team.

That being said, I would rather have a defensive force that could rebound and block shots, but we do desperately need that offensive force down on the post to make us a better team. Curry isnt really a horrible defender one on one, he just doesn't collect many rebounds or block many shots.

However, he is only 22 and still has plenty of room to grow as a ball player. One thing that is becoming obvious is that we have built this team with high character guys with very good work ethic and some of that could rub off on Curry. It's a risk in signing him, but I believe it is a risk that the Hawks must take.

You know if we have to sign Curry to a close to max contract in order to get him it really wouldn't be that bad. Of course we're going to have to overpay for a 22 year old center with tons of potential even if he does have health issues. But the most important thing is that we could frontload his contract for up to 20 mill, and that way his average salary over the rest of his contract really wouldnt be that high for a young center. We have to spend that money anyways just to meet the league minimum. Why not offer that 20 mill up front to get him, and have the per year amount for the rest of his contract be lower.

Yes some would rather have Chandler or Dally but we are NOT going to get them. Their teams can and will match any offer. It's either Curry or nothing as far as the 5 spot goes, and we HAVE to spend that money somewhere so that we meet the minimum salary.

"The Hawks need low post scoring especially if Al leaves via a sign and trade. Most of Curry's flaws such as rebounding and blocking shots can be covered by Childress and Smoove and maybe Marvin as well"

If Smoov and Chill could have covered those flaws then we'd be fine with Collier at center.... I don't really want Baby Shaq,,,I'd prefer Chandler. Chandler and Curry are like Dunn and Duckett. Chandler can score if need be, but his interior defense will make him more valuable.

INdeed, incentive clauses all the way !!

I think you need to have the caproom for his maximum reached incentives possible contract (so you can't circumvent the cba) but that's a must do if he wants a whole lotta cash to sign here. If he's reasonable in his contract demands then ok, if he wants Dalembert numbers we need incentives to protect ourselves.

Ok then,

a weight clause, a production clause, a games played per year clause, double double and triple double bonuses, wins, playoffs, that sorta thing.

You do realize that if Curry averages 5 rebounds and 1 block per game, his annual salary in incentives alone would be 82 million dollars. By comparison, the highest paid player in the game only makes 30 mil a year. I think you need to drop about three zeros from the end of those incentive numbers you got.

• Moderators

I think Spiral's math was based on 100K for each rebound over an 82 game season and not for the 100K for each rebound per game based on average over a season (which is why his number was 82 times higher).

I doubt Curry will want incentives but if you are looking at a substantial guaranteed base salary and incentives to jack it up a little more then it might work.

I don't think an incentive-laden contract is a good idea anyhow. If we bombard it with incentives, Chicago will match. We have to be willing to gamble, offer him high cash without much incentives such that it's not worth it to Chicago and they choose to just keep Chandler

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't think an incentive-laden contract is a good idea anyhow. If we bombard it with incentives, Chicago will match. We have to be willing to gamble, offer him high cash without much incentives such that it's not worth it to Chicago and they choose to just keep Chandler

Very good point.

Quote:

If Smoov and Chill could have covered those flaws then we'd be fine with Collier at center.... I don't really want Baby Shaq,,,I'd prefer Chandler. Chandler and Curry are like Dunn and Duckett. Chandler can score if need be, but his interior defense will make him more valuable.

Well the Hawk's really weren't that bad at rebounding last year, and I think a lot of their problems with interior defense was that Collier was way too weak and also because the PGs we had last year were never able to stop people from getting into the lanes. Collier does not = Curry. Curry will offer a stronger body in the middle, but more importantly he'll provide that interior offense that we badly need. My point was I think that we could somewhat mask the problems Curry may have on the defensive end (that I think he may be able to cure with some good coaching and out of the shadow of Chandler) and that our team would not suffer as much on interior defense and rebounding as some think. It's just my opinion on this matter, but please do not try to make it seem like Collier and Curry are equals. One stands to make the max and make a difference, the other should not even be in this league.