• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tuesday Insider

Is any team as smart

as the Jazz?

by Terry Brown

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: A Tangled C-Webb | Former NBA player missing at sea | Peep Show

NBA position battles: Will the Pistons push Chucky Atkins aside?

NBA Free Agent Watch

Will that be scrambled, fried or poached?

For his sake, at least, I hope Bryon Russell has a night job.

The Jazz not only dumped the 6-foot-7 forward in the trash can by releasing him earlier this offseason, they went out of their way this weekend to bypass the recycling bin by declining a sign-and-trade with the Wizards that would have netted the Jazz Christian Laettner (a player capable of playing center, which Utah needs) and Chris Whitney (a veteran point guard whom the Jazz need even more).

And who are we to argue?

After all, it's the Utah Jazz Basketball Club that has won more games than any other organization in the NBA over the last decade. And that includes Jordan's Bulls, Shaq's Lakers and Paul Allen's Blazers. In 10 years, they've won 530 games, outdistancing the Sonics, 516, Spurs, 507, and Lakers, 507.

That's 53 wins a year, including the lockout shortened season of 1999 that lasted only 50 games.

And that isn't all.

They've won all these games while spending less than these aforementioned teams. In that same decade, the Jazz have spent about $313.1 million player payroll. Seattle again placed second at $313.7 million, followed by the Spurs, $344.1 million, Lakers, $386 million, and Blazers, $440.2 million.

The Jazz have been to 19 consecutive postseasons. Only the Blazers can top that at 20, but they've spent more than $127 million more in the last 10 years alone to do it.

Double check the figures, carry the two, and we find out that it costs the Jazz organization about $590,000 to win an NBA game since 1993. But it takes the Lakers $768,000 for the same thing, the Spurs $678,000 and the Blazers $928,000.

Is it in the water or do they actually know a thing or two along the Wasatch Front about player value, luxury taxes and backdoor cuts.

All Russell did, for his part, was show decreases in scoring, steals, three-pointers made and shooting percentage the last three consecutive seasons. You couldn't give his bobblehead away by the end of the latest playoffs while averaging a measly 7 ppg on 25 percent shooting in four starts and 30 minutes of game time each night.

You show yourself the door with those kinds of numbers.

I mean, last year the Jazz let Danny Manning go and he went from averaging 7.4 ppg on 49 percent shooting with Utah to a career-low 4 ppg on 47 percent shooting with the Mavericks. Jacque Vaughn was cut loose the same year and he missed his first 23 shots with the Hawks and has since been let go again, scraping together a gig with the Magic.

The year before that, the Jazz dumped point guard Howard Eisley after a season of averaging 8.6 ppg on 41 percent shooting with 4.2 apg. Two years later, with yet a different team, he averaged 4.4 ppg on 33 percent shooting with 2.6 apg for the Knicks.

And the year before that, the Jazz bid farewell to Shandon Anderson after he averaged 8.5 ppg on 44 percent shooting. Three years and two teams later, Anderson's averages fell to 5 ppg. on 39 percent shooting for the Knicks last season.

They come, they go, the Jazz keep winning. Anderson actually took less money to escape Salt Lake City thinking that he could claim his fortune with a team better capable of utilizing his skills. Eisley left in a flurry of curse words and middle fingers. Ron Seikaly refused a trade to Jazz, opting instead to retire.

Something about green grass and nightclubs, I guess.

That laughing you hear is coming straight from the bowels of the Delta Center in the center of Salt Lake City. It may be the last thing these players remember before firing their agents.

Ask Donyell Marshall who played chicken with the Jazz front office last month and ended up with a smaller contract with a team that has won a grand total of 65 games in four years.

Not to worry, though. I'm sure Russell should be able to hook him up with Denny's in a few months.

Rooty-tooty-fresh and fruity.

Wizards Expected To Sign Russell

Steve Wyche / Washington Post

Arroyo Could Land One of Utah's Openings

Phil Miller / Salt Lake Tribune

A Tangled C-Webb

If worse comes to worst for Mayce Edward Christopher Webber III, he will be 35 and 40 years old when released from prison for obstruction of justice and making a false declaration before a grand jury.

You know him better as Chris Webber or just Chris or maybe C-Webb, the guy who averaged 24.5 points and 10.1 rebounds per game last season for the Kings, leading the team to the best record in the league and nearly defeating the three-time defending champs, the Lakers, in the Western Conference Finals.

The four-time All-Star and All-NBA performer who first captivated the basketball world as the leader of Michigan's famed Fab Five, a fashion model, rapper, currently under contract with the Kings paying him more than $100M and boyfriend of supermodel Tyra Banks.

Federal prosecutors claim he is the guy, along with his father and aunt who have also been indicted, who lied about his relationship with Ed Martin, a University of Michigan booster who has already testified to giving Webber, and other Wolverine players, up to $600,000 of laundered money.

"We haven't had a chance to review the indictments with Chris," Fallasha Erwin, Webber's agent, said. "The only thing I will say is, Chris has always believed he didn't commit any type of crime."

The money, of which Webber is charged with personally receiving $280,000 as a student-athlete at Michigan, is said to have been generated from an illegal gambling organization. Two years ago, Webber denied ever receiving large amounts of money from Martin but rumors persisted.

First, the NCAA launched a probe into the Michigan basketball program. Then, federal agents uncovered a gambling ring at the Ford Motor Co. plant in Detroit. Martin was at the head of the illegal operation, agreeing to a plea bargain last spring and revealed his dealings with the Michigan players.

Three former Michigan players, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock, have already admitted to prosecutors of receiving money from Martin. Jalen Rose, a close friend of Webber and fellow NBA star, admitted receiving small sums of cash from Martin while he played for Michigan.

Fifteen other people already have been charged and pleaded guilty in the 6.5-year government investigation of Martin's auto plant gambling ring. The Internal Revenue Service and the FBI also were part of the investigation. The only other defendant in the Martin case to be charged with lying to the grand jury, Martin associate Clarence Malvo, was sentenced Aug. 20 to two years' probation and a $2,000 fine, reported the Detroit News.

"I didn't get cars; I didn't get nothing," Webber told the New York Times. "I got $20 here and there, a lot of times. I'll be honest, it happened a lot. And that shouldn't diminish the seriousness of it.

"Come on. I did not take $260,000 or $280,000. I did not take $100,000. I did not take tens of thousands of dollars, I did not take in the twenties, thirties, hundreds or even more."

The NBA has refused comment on the situation pending legal procedures.

Webber Accused of Lying About Loans

Mike Wise / New York Times

Webber Indicted On Two Counts

Greg Sandoval / Washington Post

Webber, father indicted

David Shepardson and Fred Girard / Detroit News

Webber keeps U-M under a cloud

Drew Sharp / Detroit Free Press

Webber accused of lying in probe

David Ashenfelter / Detroit Free Press

Star could survive court conviction

Cecil Angel / Detroit Free Press

Webber Faces Indictment

Robyn Norwood / Los Angeles Times

Former NBA player missing at sea

Bison Dele, a former NBA player known as Brian Williams, is missing at sea along with three other companions and hasn't been heard from since July 7, three days after the group left Tahiti on his 55-foot catarmaran for Hawaii.

In a separate but related incident, the Chicago Tribune is reporting that "Phoenix police last week questioned an individual who allegedly tried to purchase a substantial amount of gold while identifying himself as Brian Williams."

Dele had been in contact with his agent Dwight Manley and hoped to return to the NBA this season prior to the disappearance but his cell phone on the boat hasn't been used since July 7. "I don't know what we're supposed to think here," Manley said. "It sounds like the worst . . . He was intrigued by Michael [Jordan's] return. He had a good relationship with [Lakers coach] Phil Jackson. In fact, I talked to the Lakers about him last Friday."

His girlfried, Serena Karlan, also feared missing, was in contact with her family at least once a week.

During his playing days in the NBA, Dele developed the reputation of being a different kind of player, running with the Bulls in Pamplona, sky diving, bicycling across the country and flying a plane. With three years and some $30 million left on his contract with the Pistons, he announced his retirement in 1999. He was also diagnosed with clinical depression in 1992.

"You're trying to differentiate between a typical basketball player and a non-typical basketball player," he said in a 1997 interview. "Whether I'm a basketball player or an astronaut, whether I choose to go to a wine-tasting or a toga party, it's my choice. It's what floats your boat. Quite frankly, it's better to beat your own drum than to dance to a rhythm that someone else is pounding for you."

The FBI, U.S. Coast Guard and Tahiti Military are all involved in the search.

Ex-Bull Dele is missing

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

Dele is feared lost at sea

staff / Detroit News

Ex-Piston Dele reported missing at sea

Steve Schrader / Detroit Free Press

Peep Show

Timberwolves: Minnesota center Rasho Nesterovic has decided that less is more. Instead of re-signing with the team long term, believed to be worth about $30 million over seven years, he has accepted a one-year $2.4M offer that will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of next season. "There is a lot of uncertainty going on in the organization," his agent Bill Duffy said. "Rasho wants to see how things unfold before making a long-term commitment. He wants a bigger role, which he has proven he can handle."

Bulls: Michael Jordan is slowly getting his revenge. For the second year in a row, a Chicago player has been injured while playing in Jordan's pickup games in preperation for the upcoming NBA season. Last year, it was Jamal Crawford, who tore an ACL and missed four months of the season. This year, it's second-round pick Roger Mason Jr. hurting his right shoulder. "We're going to know a lot more on Wednesday," said Bulls general manager Jerry Krause. "If he's going to require surgery, we'll go ahead and do it and it will be a 4-6 month recovery period."

Celtics: While the rest of the U.S. was shocked by the recent U.S. National Team failing, Boston liked what it saw and has invited Argentinian center Ruben Wolkowyski to work out for the club. GM Chris Wallace describes Wolkowyski as "a combination of strength and a wide body, plus the ability to shoot the ball. He's in Vitaly [Potapenko]'s league as far as strength and bulk, but he's probably a little more fleet afoot."

Nesterovic accepts $2.44 million

Chip Scoggins / Minneapolis Star Tribune

Rasho says OK to one-year deal

Robbi Pickeral / St. Paul Pioneer Press

Mason injured at Hoops the Gym

Mike McGraw / Arlington Heights Daily Herald

Mason hurt in Jordan pickup game

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

Argentine takes shot with Celtics

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Wolkowyski latest candidate for C's

Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

I like how the Jazz were so smart to let Jacque Vaughn go because they somehow "knew" he was going to miss his first 23 shots. I also like how they conveniently forget to mention that he ended up shooting 47% and posted career highs in all major categories, in a pathetic attempt to convince people that he sucked after leaving the Jazz. Disgusting.