• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Scoring and rebounding from the SG Sf position....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think one of the things that will be paramount to the Hawks this season is scoring and rebounding from the SG & SF positions.

As I look at it...

We can expect about 16/5/5 from JJ

about 19/8 from Al at PF.

about 11/8 from zaza at C.

In all that's about:

46/21 from those three starting positions.

I assume we can get about 26/11 from the bench...

That makes for

72/32 with the Sg/Sf positions.

I would like us to be a 105/45 team

That means from the SG/Sf positions we need:

33 ppg and 13 rebounds per game.

So that means that between Chillz and Smoove, somebody will have to step up as a 17-20 ppg player!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're short changing both JJ and AL...JJ has much to prove and AL is in a contract year...I think they're both good for more then 20ppg per night. And, I think AL will be at or near a double-double this year....I believe that both Chill and Smoove are good for between 10-15 ppg...Marvin is good for 6-10 ppg just because he's the primary back up at the 3 and 4...plus Delk and Salim....Offense will not be a problem for this team...It's all about us taking care of the ball, stoping people and rebounding the ball!!!

And most of all...getting a consistent effort night in and night out...which is usual because inconsistency comes with being young.

We'll be fine!...We have good players and players that are going to be good...this is a players league not a coaches league...you need good players to be competitive and we're well on our way!

Quote:

I think you're short changing both JJ and AL...JJ has much to prove and AL is in a contract year...I think they're both good for more then 20ppg per night. And, I think AL will be at or near a double-double this year....I believe that both Chill and Smoove are good for between 10-15 ppg...Marvin is good for 6-10 ppg just because he's the primary back up at the 3 and 4...plus Delk and Salim....Offense will not be a problem for this team...It's all about us taking care of the ball, stoping people and rebounding the ball!!!

And most of all...getting a consistent effort night in and night out...which is usual because inconsistency comes with being young.

We'll be fine!...We have good players and players that are going to be good...this is a players league not a coaches league...you need good players to be competitive and we're well on our way!

JJ & Al both over twenty points a game? Thats laughable.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't think you realize how few players actually score 20 a game.

if both JJ and Al do...it would mean that the other players aren't getting enough opps or the team is not running nearly enough.

19 for Al is the ceiling.

Agreed. Expecting 20/10 from Al is expecting too much on both fronts, IMO. I see Al's stats as more likely 16-18 ppg/7 rpg on the year. I do think that it is more likely we'll see a 20 point season from Al than a 10 rpg year, though.

• Premium Member

When healthy and w/o Toine, Al put up 19/7. However, JJ and Pachulia will get some of this points. I expect 17/7 and him to be traded in February because those numbers are unspectacular in light of his poor defense.

IMO, JJ will put up 19-20 ppg.

Quote:

Last year there were 27 20 ppg players. Less than 1 per team. And suddenly we have 2? I don't think so. There's a big difference between 17 ppg and 21 ppg.

and on top of that there's a lot to be said for the 17 ppg player that helps his team win vs the 21 ppg player that chucks up a ton of shots.

me too...but the boarsd would win me over on him a lot more than the points would, just given his game, his athleticism...

I know he can score if given opportunities. Boards...especially with the guards we're going to have, are about desire and dedication to ones role.

as i've said before...he could score 20 ppg...but I don't think that'd be what's best for this team.

First time post here at the Sqawk- I've been over at RealGM but the pop-ups are just too annoying.

FYI, for Harrington to score 20 a game he would have to take around 23 shots a game assuming no free-throws or three pointers at .45% FG (of course he will go to the line some, but that should be counted in the shots per as its an offensive possesion). That is a ton of shots for him, I would rather see Al, get his 17 and get more boards.

As for Chill he'll probably get around 12 to 15 a game. That leaves the rest of the offense of Smoove and Marvin.

In all this year is still about development, esp for our two young forwards (Smoove and Marvin). If those guys can get around 5 to 10 shots each per night it will go a long way to their development.

In all I don't expect that much from the Hawks THIS year, maybe 25 wins.

Next year, however, is the year that they need to make a big leap in wins. I am not sold that Woodson is the guy that can do that, but that is another discussion.

I understand very well what it means to have to 20 point scorers on one team...Here me out on this one though...

AL is in a CONTRACT YEAR!...He will score points...I would be willing to bet he's at or near 20ppg and...

JJ has much to prove and no matter what he says, he's feeling some pressure to live up to the money...

They will play alot of 2man basketball and will score the lions share of the points...

I know it's rare and I know the likelihood of it happening isn't very good...But, I really feel like they'll pull it off...you will eat crowe on this one

and I'm telling you, and hear me out, that as I've said for quite some time, the 'best' thing for Al to do is to rebound, play decent D, and integrate himself into the 'flow' of the team...

if he does that, he'll get his contract. he can score. we know this.

I don't think JJ will score 20 a game if he were to stay at the point position. I see 18 at the most which is good for a guy running your offense and I hope atleast 6 assist. I think the Joshes will score more this year.I think JC can score 17ppg if he stays focus. Salim and Marvin will prob score around 8ppg

Whats that sound? Thats Marvin knocking on the door man. 6 to 8 pts is going to be a bad night for Marvin by the all star break.

Quote:

Marvin will prob score around 8ppg

He will be getting at least 10 to 12 a night and on a good night 15 to 20....

Just like Chilz and Smoove last year. He will be weaned in and then end up with 30 minutes a game around the all star break.

Quote:

yeah but before the break and with Josh and Al getting alot of minutes before the break he will not get alot of shots off. So 8-10ppg should be about right

I understand what you are saying but I honestly believe Marvin will be playing at least as well as Smoove before the all star break and getting 20 minutes a night from the opening tip off.

Given their totally different playing styles, who gets the most minutes will be based on what style is needed the most that night.

Marvin not only creates his own space, he also gets to the line. Those two things allow him to score at anytime during a game, bad night or not. Its also a great dimension to have from a strategy stand point at crucial times during a game.

Marvin will be more than worthy of 30 minutes a night and its not going to matter whether we trade someone or not. He will be right up there with JJ, Chillz, and Al as a scoring option much sooner than alot of people on this board think...that's my two cents anyway wink.gif

I'm not so sure on Marv getting 30+ Minutes a game anytime soon. Before or after All Star Break.

In 39 minutes, he got 12 points. And remember the competition level that the Hornets offer.

No blocks and 1 steal by Pachulia can't be right. I guess they aren't too active in the stat count right now. Hornets had a steal with 8 blocks.

As for Al and JJ both getting 20 PPG. Let's just go ahead and throw Chill in. I say these 3 get 60 PPG, so I don't think we will have 2 twenty point guys, but maybe 3. I think a lot of games these three will put 60 points up. Obviously the averages will break down differently.

Quote:

I'm not so sure on Marv getting 30+ Minutes a game anytime soon. Before or after All Star Break.

In 39 minutes, he got 12 points. And remember the competition level that the Hornets offer.

No blocks and 1 steal by Pachulia can't be right. I guess they aren't too active in the stat count right now. Hornets had a steal with 8 blocks.

As for Al and JJ both getting 20 PPG. Let's just go ahead and throw Chill in. I say these 3 get 60 PPG, so I don't think we will have 2 twenty point guys, but maybe 3. I think a lot of games these three will put 60 points up. Obviously the averages will break down differently.

Al, JJ, and Josh putting up 60 points a game is ridiculous. Atlanta averaged 92 points a game last year and now you are expecting 3 players to score 60 between them? There were only three teams that had 3 players avg 60 points a game combined last year and all three were in the top 5 for points scored. Sorry, but the idea that the Hawks can suddenly become an offensive juggernaut is laughable. Especially with a first time point guard running the show.