• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The reality of Ira starting

hds428

As much as I feel Ira deserves to start, the more I think about it, the less likely it seems. Reason being, our depth. Currently we can line up one of two ways, either:

JT/DD/Davis

Ira/Glover

Dogg/CC

Reef/Hendu

Theo/Naz

or.....

JT/DD

Glover/Davis

Dogg/Ira/CC

Reef/Hendu

Theo/Naz

Given Crawford and Hendu's histories of injury, the former just seems alot more likely. Our ability to sign a FA who'll make a difference is'nt a given and neither is a significant medical excemption for DerMarr. This is all subject to change depending on wether we can go into the free agent or the CBA pools, but from where we stand today, I'm starting to think that Dion may start no matter how deserving Ira may be.

Didn't you just contradict yourself (saying that you thought the first lineup would start, and that one being the one that had Ira starting?)?

I simply disagree though. I understand the argument about needing someone that can bu GR...but Dion can do that (he's strong enough to play the 3). Inserting Ira into the starting lineup makes us a much better defensive team and balances things more - as has been said before, Dion needs to ball to score much more than Ira, who depends on putbacks, cuts, and open jumpers.

Dion's ability to play one-on-one and provide instant offense is exactly what I'd want in a sixth man. Dion can play decent D when properly motivated, but if healthy, I think we should depend on him to be an offensive spark. Starting Ira does make the second-unit (DD/Email; Dion; CC; Hendu; Nazr) pretty weak defensively, but reality is, it's what we got.

You can't change what's happened and the lineup was considerably stronger (as were rotations and liabilities in both units), but DJ's out for the season - we have to make due.

I said the former and meant the latter, my bad. While Dion may be strong enough to play the 3, I worry about his height at that position defensively. I like both Dion and Ira and could flip flop between the two all day, the tough vet defender or the scoring young former first rounder, so I'm glad the decision is'nt mine to make. You're right though, the situation is what it is and we have to make due, but I feel much more at ease looking to slove the team's problems from within than rolling the dice on an outside free agent or CBAer. The second lineup does just that while the first would depend on that roll of the dice.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

I understand the argument about needing someone that can bu GR...but Dion can do that (he's strong enough to play the 3).

The problem has been that we have been playing Dion as a Sf and it doesn't help his rhythm nor does it play to his strengths. As a SG, Dion could be really good. As a SF, Dion is below average. Last yr, we spent the yr with Dion as a SF and Terry as a Sg. It totally exposed us because Dion is not big enough to gaurd most SFs. He's not strong enough to overpower most Sfs. So we got mediocre returns for Dion. However, if we play him consistently as a SG, he will start to show more than flashes. Because as a SG, he can use his strength to overpower other SGs.