• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game Notes From the Bulb

Hawkzzz21

Well another frustrating night. Added another talley in the "L" Column.

To continue venting from a previous post, I'm not sure what is going on with the Hawks Franchise. Forget the on court play. The JJ Saga with Belkin, Hurricane Katrina Relief (not having Hawks Jerseys, and Lue sporting the Pistons Jersey), and now the fire to the electronics system. It was very frustrating not having a score, game clock, and shot clock for long periods of the game. We are not NBA Worthy off the court, when we can't even get our home openner off the ground from off the court things.

Several Stars were in the house. I will probably forget some, but I remember these:

Patrick Kerney (Falcons)

TJ Duckett (Falcons)

Algae Crumpler (Falcons)

Ilya Kovalchuk (Thrashers)

Roy Williams (NC Tarheels Head Coach)

Not sure how much of the Jason Collier Tribute got shown on TV, but it was put on nicely. A great video tribute on the jumbotron, the bagpipes playing amazing grace, Al Harrington speaking to the crowd (specifically JC's Wife).

While the teams were warming up. Batista's jumping ability caught my eye. He's got some serious hops. On one of his layups, he went in from a side of the basket angle. He left the floor before he was in the paint, and dunked it down with authority on the reverse side. So he can get up a lot better than he looks like he could.

Salim stroked about 10 shots in a row (just inside the 3 Point Stripe), and the ball never touched the rim. While Donta Smith was practicing from about the same distance, and he hit on the rim about 10 shots in a row. Not sure he made a bucket in the pregame warm ups......lol.

The game itself, still was very much like some of the previous ones. Played real well early, and just collapsed later on. I think at one time we was up 29 to 19 and the quarter ended, with the Lakers down by 2. Seems like it took us about 2 minutes into the next quarter to get off that 29 mark.

Salim seems to be some sort of good luck charm. Another game, where we do well when he is out there. Even if he's not involved, we just get things done when he's on the floor.

Did anyone think the Hawks gave up too quick?

The last 4 or 5 minutes of the game, we were very lazy looking out there. Salim and J. Smith were the two that looked like they were pouting. It did appear it worked to our advantage. Their body language gave the Lakers a lazy look as well. Was almost like we were conning them, and we had done given up. The Hawks made a mini run toward the end.

Why in the world didn't they foul? The Lakers did pretty much have the game in hand at the end, but the Hawks should have fouled. We got the game to a 2 possesion game, and the Lakers brought the ball over half court with something like 20 seconds left. If the Hawks foul, and Lakers miss both FT attempts. We run down, let Salim hoist a 3 that goes. It's a 3 point game with 10+ seconds left. I realize the chances of tying them are unlikely, but we didn't even give that last bit of effort at the end.

This was disturbing. Not even the coaching staff was hollering to foul. It was a combined effort of quitting from the players on the court and our coaching staff. NEVER GIVE UP!

I don't mind losing, but giving up with time on the clock is pathetic.

The Lakers Jerseys was definately a presence at Philips. You seen as many Laker's Jersey as Hawks Rise Up T Shirts, which every fan in the building was giving one, upon entry through the doors.

Kobe Chants broke out a few times, but usually was subdued by the boo's of Hawks Fans.

MVP for the Hawks was Zaza. He had a few silly turnovers, with traveling. However, he looked like the only player that was trying the hardest out there. He gave efforts on both ends of the floor, and played like that for the entire game.

Al Harrington looked like he tweaked his ankle a couple of times. Never seem to go to the bench because of it, but he is defintatley hurting out there.

The Lakers Game Plan, seemed to be to shut down Joe Johnson. They really focused on him. Kobe played great one on one defense against him, but you could see the team as a whole keeping their eye on him.

Josh Smith was running the baseline several times, and was very open. The Hawks fail to get him the ball. The 1 or 2 times they did try, it was a direct pass to him, instead of lobbing the ball near the rim.

JJ is driving to the basket, and teams collapse on him. It appears he puts his head down, and doesn't recognize that guys are wide open when he does this. He has to keep his head up, and recognize the floor better. He's not seeing the floor right now as a PG, or a playmaker would.

Quote:

i noticed many times jj driving and the kobes collapsing on him and then he dished it out to the open man (who usually missed *ahem josh smith ahem*)

i didn't really get to watch the 2nd half, though...but in the first half, jj was definitely a playmaker, driving and dishing

Right. I see what you are talking about. However, a couple of his times he dished to guys that were wide open for the jumpers, he had a man right under the basket or near enough to just lay it in. No Jumper Needed!

Salim seems to find the man closest to the basket when he gets the collapse. There's just not enough teams collapsing on him, cause of height. He isn't likely to lay it in over the opposing teams centers or forwards keeping guard on the basket.

Quote:

By any chance did you notice a fanatical fans or hawk-a-licious section? Ownership said they would do it again this year but it is kind of hard to believe them when they canceled it the last two games of last year.

No I didn't. Doesn't mean it wasn't there, I just didn't notice it.