• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Not the Hawks for Murray?

jaywalker72

If we believe the TOR/CLE rumors to be true, and the Cavs are seriously trying to deal Lamond Murray to the Raptors for anything (read: Michael "DNP" Stewart), why not the Hawks here?

Couldn't they take Chris Crawford and Emanual Davis for Murray, and viola! Instant shooter?

This needs to happen IF the Cavs are trying to give away Murray.

On paper, it looks like a steal but how much of a problem would Murray be playing limited minutes behind Big Dog? Murray has no handles so just like Big Dog, he would have a difficult time playing SG. How many minutes would be available for him if Dog plays around 36 mpg at SF? In addition, Murray is not a great defender so he couldn't take the place of Ham or Ira in those situations where we needed more D.

All that being said, Murray for Crawford/Davis is so low risk I'd be willing to try to work out the PT issues that are likely to arise. Who knows, maybe Murray COULD play some SG in certain situations. In addition, with this team's injury history, it would be nice to have a guy capable of giving you 16 ppg or so as a starter ready to step in if necessary. We definitely could use his long range shooting. I'd do it.

DJ didn't/ hadn't shown the best of handles, esp. for a two guard, yet he was often our starting 2 last year and was projected to be (by most of us anyhow) again this year.

Thinking about our ball handling: aside from JT - good (not great) ball handler and passer, still learning the nuances of pg, we're not blessed with many good ball handlers (Dogg, Ira?, SAR!) in the position that will most likely get the ball in areas where they'll have to dribble. This being the case, I truly hope that we're really working on passing skills and spreading the floor - because the handles of our starting five is pretty suspect.

Anyone have any comments on Ira's abilities in this dept.? Not getting to see that many games last year (only when I could come home or the game in Memphis), I don't have a good read on his abilities in that dept. while I want him to start and DG come off the bench, having another person with decent handles on the starting five is necessary - because our 3/4 position is quite weak in the area.

If we have any ball handling problems look

for Email to get minutes.Honestly it wouldn't

surprise me if he ends up the starting SG some

time ESP if we need the best 3pt threat on

the team and other than Dermarr Email is the

best 3pt shooter on the team....WE NEED ANOTHER

3PT SHOOTER!!!!And QUICK!!!=)

at worst from what I've seen. I think he is a better ballhandler than Big Dog or Murray but then again, I don't think he will ever be mistaken for a PG either. I think he is a pretty good passer as well. The bottom line is that I think either Ira or Dion is capable enough as a ballhandler to start alongside JT. Would I rather have a Doug Christie or Brent Barry at SG? No doubt, but I think we'll be okay.

Statwise Murray is just as good as Big Dog:

Murray:

16.6PPG

5.2RPG

2.2APG

43%fg

42%3ptfg

32.6MPG

Big Dog:

20.7PPG

6.2RPG

2.5APG

46%fg

32%3pt fg

35.5MPG

Is there really alot of difference?Murray usally

hurts us pretty badly also.And don't forgot

Big Dog's bloated contract.

are you joking? The difference is apparent - Murray being an above average starter and Dogg being a two-time all-star. The shooting percentage alone is enough for me (don't forget that Dogg gets more coverage), but GR does it in fewer minutes...plus, GR's reputation will undoubtedly draw some teams into double-teaming him...which means someone's open. With Terry and SAR on the floor, someone has a shot. Murray simply doesn't command taht sort of respect, thus making us more reliant on him being the one open - I'll take Dogg any day.

In this case, its the difference between being an above average starter (Murray) and an All Star (Dog). Its the difference between Latrell Sprewell and Wes Person or the Difference between Elton Brand and Juwon Howard. There is really no comparison between the two particularly when Dog had an average year and Murray had a career year and STILL fell well short of Dog's production.

Big Dog is better but it is a question of

how much.Murray usally kills us anyways.

Shooting percentages?Well Big Dog has

alot better overall percentage but Murray

is a better 3pt shooter by miles.

But this bumps Peterson to the bench:

PG:Alvin Williams/Hunter

SG:Vince Carter/Curry

SF:Lamond Murray/Peterson/Jefferies

PF:Antonio Davis

C:Eric Montross/Hakeem

Do you think we can beat Toronto out?It's gunna

be a tough call depending on how Carter plays.

While we have alittle more overall talent Carter

even as last years Carter is head and shoulders

above our best player.it will be interesting to

say the least.

What is Cleveland thinking?

I think they are trying to trade ANYONE save D. Miles, Wagner and Ricky Davis who might accidentally cause them to win a game. I look for them to play Ilgauskas 48 mpg until his feet give out and then he'll spend the rest of the year on the DL. Then they'll do the same to Diop. They won't bring in a real PG despite the fact that they could easily do so and they will continue to talk about growing pains. Lamond Murray for Michael Stewart? Please! That is not only beyond ridiculous, it gives the Raps a legitimate SF to compliment VC. I look for Mo Pete to be the backup at SF and SG. I hope that the lottery balls don't fall the Cavs way and they end up with the 4th pick. That would be hilarious.

I like Ira's game alot but to me he is a classic 3 type player without the O. His handle is too weak to be a 2 based on what I saw last year. Maybe he has improved his handle over the offseason, though that is one skill that I think is hard for older players to improve. While Lon may start Ira at the 2 b/c of his hustle value, it does create problems for ball handling. While JT can singlehandedly beat most presses, this will wear him down. DG's handle is not much better than Ira if it is better at all. I would not be surprised to see Email start at the 2 to lower the ballhandling pressure on JT and allow him some called plays at the 2 spot. Ball handling is a clearvconcern for the starting unit.

I think Dion has the potential to be a better than average ballhandler and I think Ira will be adequate. There is no question however that starting either one of them will require JT to be more solid than ever in his ballhandling (he needs to get better anyway). Neither Dion nor Ira is going to be able to switch to PG with JT in the lineup as Davis could but I think they both handle the ball well enough that they can help JT get the ball up the floor against pressure. I don't expect to see either of them initating the offense though. It's really all about JT. If he can do his job well, the ballhandling abilites of the SG become less of an issue. If he struggles, I still don't think Davis will start but I think he might get a lot of PT.

yeah I think no matter what teams are going

to try and trap JT all season long.Of course

the Kings have the same thing in Doug Christie

because he s a good ball handler.In Philly both

Iverson and Snow can handle the ball.In Dallas

you have Nash/NVE and Finley that can handle

the ball....Portland you have DS and Pippen.

Most good teams have atleast two good ball

handlers in the starting lineup.Somewhere in

my head it's saying Email will be our starting

SG.