• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Newble, Glover Battle for Shooting Guard

jaywalker72

RealGM's Jason Walker will be bringing reports on the players and team as the Hawks go through training camp.

Check back daily for features on different players up until the first home exhibition game on October 8th.

Steve Smith, Isaiah Rider, Jim Jackson, and Jason Terry.

That’s a lot of scoring punch, and it’s also the starting shooting guards of the past four seasons.

This season, with Terry’s full-time return to the point, the shooting guard position is up for grabs, ensuring the fifth straight season opener with a new 2 guard.

The competition has narrowed to two players, Dion Glover and Ira Newble.

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/

Nice article Jay

Glover and Newble both have something to prove, Glover needs to prove that he can actually play solid D, Newble needs to prove that he is not a liability on offense. I think Newble will probably win the starting job just because we have so much scorer on the team plus I think Lon would actually let JT and Dan on the floor together quite a lot when we need more scoring.

btw, can anybody tell me what causes DJ's accident? or does anyone know?

Thx

good article Jay. It's a tough choice, offensive wonderboy, or defensive deadbolt. If Glover's been working as hard on his D, and Ira's been working as hard on his O as reports say, it's gonna be a really tight competition at the 2. Ira made a major statement last season, and Dion made an equally major statement at Shaw's. I'd hate to be in Lon's shoes on this one (although he has the benefit of being able to gauge them on a daily basis) so either way, I trust his judgement. Decisions decisions.....

Email seems to be penciled in as the 3rd string PG. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get minutes at SG. I thought he looked really out of position starting at the point last year, but he might be a good fit at the two.

Email compared to Newble and Glover...

Better defender than Glove.

Better perimeter shooter than Newble.

Better ball handler than Glove or Newble.

Better three-point shooter than Glove or Newble.

He was brought here to complement JT. Maybe he can best do that at SG.

You are right in your comparison of Email with the other 2 guards. As I have posted before, I am concerned about our lack of ball handlers in the starting rotation with JT at the 1. Neither Dion or Ira have solid handles and I am afraid teams will pressure JT the entire Court length to wear him down. Email has a good handle and could help out bringing the ball upcourt. He can also guard most 2s. Email will get some time at the 2.

• Premium Member

With the addition of Ham, Dickau and Ira, Email has really become expendable. No way was Email of any value last yr. He got hurt but before then he sucked. If someone comes into camp and puts on an exhibition, I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta eat Email's contract and sign that player up. So that means that House, Bennett, and Harvey all have a shot.

While I've never been a huge fan of Email, with the arrangement of this team, I like having him as a bu simply because he has decent handles. Yeah, we've got JT and DD, but if one of them are hurt, suspended, whatever, there's pretty much NO ONE to put in at pg. Injuries, while woeful, are a reality that you have to be prepared for, esp. at pg...cause you gotta get the ball past midcourt.