• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Proposed Rule for Dunk Contest

AHF

• Moderators

In light of the now embarassing figure of guys taking double digit attempts to nail a dunk, what do you think about this rule? Players get 2 free passes before their score gets docked so that if they make one of their first 3 attempts they get the full score. Every miss after that lowers the score by one point.

Therefore, if you take 18 attempts to nail your dunk your maximum possible score is a 35. If you take 8 tries to nail your dunk your maximum score is a 45. Etc.

That seems like a much fairer balance to me. Guys can still go for the high degree of difficulty dunks but once they start getting embarassing with the number of attempts they will be effectively eliminating themselves from the competition.

Give Josh Smith 18 tries to make some ridiculous dunk and he probably will do it. Who wants to see that, though? It just further debases the competition when guys need more than a few attempts to get their dunk, IMO.

I agree.

Here's what I said in the other thread

The NBA should fix this all by doing the following:

-on each dunk you get a max of 4 attempts, if you don't make it in 4, it's 0 points for you. If you missed 3 times, do a lesser dunk that you can make

-it should be clear that with missed dunks, your score goes down. You can't get a 50 if you took multiple attempts

-let the judges give scores in increments of 0.1. Not every very good dunk has to be a 10 because it's better than the good dunk that you gave a 9. If you want to give a 9.5, give it a 9.5

I like your idea of letting the judges score the dunk itself, and then having automatic deductions for the missed dunks though