• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about Duke's McRoberts?

DeacKillsaDevil

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/joshmcroberts.asp

nbadraft.net has him coming out this year and being a top 5 pick.

http://www.nbadraft.net/draftbuzz050.asp

Quote:

Josh McRoberts to Enter Draft?

Multiple NBA scouts have told NBADraft.net that they expect Josh McRoberts to enter his name in the 2006 draft. Look for him to test the draft process and make his ultimate decision at or near the withdrawal deadline.

McRoberts is considered one of the top post prospects in college basketball and a likely top 5 pick, top 10 worst case scenario. And though his game would probably benefit in the long run by staying at Duke another season and becoming the focal point of the offense, it's hard to fault a player for leaving when they are projected to be drafted as a top 5-10 pick.

With such a weak crop of players available, especially post guys, McRoberts figures to be among the first three inside players taken (along with Texas' LaMarcus Aldridge and Italian Andrea Bargnani).

Look for McRoberts and other prospects such as Tyrus Thomas to deny any thoughts of leaving right now as the NBA draft is a distraction for their current team's situations with the tournament looming.

After the season, McRoberts will almost certainly feel the tug from both ends, with Duke and Coach K professing the importance of skill development, and lottery teams (and possibly family members) professing the importance of a loaded bank account.

Duke would lose a tremendous talent, but would recover quickly as their recruiting class is among the best in the country once again with wing Gerald Henderson, center Brian Zuobek and guard John Scheyer coming in next year.

Tyler Hansbrough and Leon Powe are two other names scouts have been mentioning as possible early entrants, but both players are considered second round picks if they were to enter.

McBob is only an average athlete relative to NBA terms, and is quite slow, particularly in the post. He does run the floor well, but that is because he is intelligent and plays extremely hard rather than a result of sheer athleticism or speed.

I think he will be a solid pro in the Chris Webber [post injury] mold because of his passing skills, soft touch, and bball IQ, but he's not what we're looking for. We need a post player who can play defense, rebound, and block shots. McRoberts will not be a very good defender in the league. I think it's Aldridge all the way if we pick high enough; if not, we're looking at Shelden, Splitter, or perhaps Tyrus Thomas if he enters. I'm actually a huge Tiago Splitter fan - I think he's tremendously underrated and his stock will rise as the draft approaches. He is also everything we need from the 4/5 position and projects to land right where we will be drafting...

I couldn't see him giving in and turning pro after one year. How long did it take before Duke lost an underclassman early? And it's not like he's as polished as Elton Brand when he came out as a junior. He'd be doing himself an injustice by trying to learn on the fly instead of getting another year or two of seasoning under Coach K.

I do like his basketball smarts though. I've posted before that I think an intangible like that can only make a player not only progress faster in the NBA but also sustain their level of play once they get there. All to many times you get a super athlete that forgets to watch film or study the playbook (Mike Williams with the Lions).

Why would McBob be rated higher than Tyler Hansbrough at this point? I would have thought the ratings might be the other way around. Did anyone catch Tyler Hansbrough during the GT game when he scored 40 pts? Granted Tech's big men are very raw but he destroyed them. Hansbrough has solid post moves already and really only needs to work on his D but the potential is there. Thoughts?

Quote:

I couldn't see him giving in and turning pro after one year. How long did it take before Duke lost an underclassman early? And it's not like he's as polished as Elton Brand when he came out as a junior. He'd be doing himself an injustice by trying to learn on the fly instead of getting another year or two of seasoning under Coach K.

Magette, Boozer, and Jay Williams all left early. However, Boozer and JW were on the "three" year graduation program.

Because the rankings are completely subjective and only based on "potential" and "upside". Somehow a guy like Hansbrough gets a reputation for not being athletic enough for the NBA, but then he goes and dominates the ACC as a freshmen.

The longer he stays at UNC teh better. Next year he could be a great pickup for the Hawks in the middle of the first.

Hansbrough is a winner and a fighter, he will be a good pro.