• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NFL Rule changes?

Squawker24

So the league is talking about "tweaking" rules and eliminating some of the 850 false-start penalties that were called last year. I'm in favor of that. There are too many inconsequential penalties, because, let's face it, you could call a penalty on every play.

But what is really interesting is the talk about holding penalties. Said an Associated Press story -- "The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

'We want to make sure they actually see the foul,' said Atlanta general manager Rich McKay, co-chairman of the league's competition committee."

Let me get this straight: Refs were calling holding penalties and without actually seeing the infraction? And that's OK? That's excusable?

That's ridiculous ...

Quote:

So the league is talking about "tweaking" rules and eliminating some of the 850 false-start penalties that were called last year. I'm in favor of that. There are too many inconsequential penalties, because, let's face it, you could call a penalty on every play.

But what is really interesting is the talk about holding penalties. Said an Associated Press story -- "The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

'We want to make sure they actually see the foul,' said Atlanta general manager Rich McKay, co-chairman of the league's competition committee."

Let me get this straight: Refs were calling holding penalties and without actually seeing the infraction? And that's OK? That's excusable?

That's ridiculous ...

It'll be interesting to see what they do regarding holding calls because like nearly every lineman (offensive and defensive) seems to say, there's holding going on during each play.