• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons draft...what to do in round 2?

CBAreject

OK, so I guess we don't have a #1 unless we trade Schaub. What do we do with our round 2 pick?

Kiper has us REACHING for a CB in Cedric Griffin (who will probably play S in the NFL). The 2 CB I want he has teams reaching for at the bottom of round 1.

I would be thrilled if we could get Gabe Watson or Nick Mangold, but they'd have to slip a good bit.

Basically, I think we'll go with either DT, OL, DB, or even WR (though WR is much less likely given board). Pretty wide differential. Here's who I'd want for each of those:

CB: Kelly Jennings-6'0"-4.4-MIA.....won't fall to us

Richard Marshall-5'11"-4.4-FRS....prolly won't fall

S: Ko Simpson-6'1"-4.47-USC

OT: Marcus McNeil-6'7"-330

Andrew Whitworth-6'7"-334-LSU

C: Nick Mangold-6'3"-300-OSU...won't fall to us

OG: Davin Joseph-6'2"-315-OU

Deuce Lutui-6'3"-330

Max Jean-Gillies-6'4"-355-UGA

DT: Gabriel Watson-6'3"-340-UMich...won't fall to us

Rodrique Wright-6'5"-300-UTx...might not fall

WR: Sinorice Moss-5'8"-4.4-MIA...won't fall to us

Demetrius Williams-6'2"-4.5-OR

Maurice Stovall-6'4"-4.5-ND

So, from this list, I would want Watson, Mangold, and Jennings in that order, but they won't fall. Moss probably won't fall, but I'm not sure I want him with Vick. Here's my list in order:

1) Gabe Watson-DT

2) Nick Mangold-C

3) Kelly Jennings-CB

4) Davin Joseph-OG

5) Richard Marshall-CB

6) Rodrique Wright-DT

7) Deuce Lutui-OG

8) Sinorice Moss-WR

9) Ko Simpson-S

10) Andy Whitworth-OT

11) Demetrius Williams-WR

I would put McNeil on here, but his spinal stenosis scares me.

I feel like Rodrique Wright and Ko Simpson are pretty realistic prospects. The other guys I'm hoping will fall. I hope we don't reach for a DB here. I doubt we draft a stud OL like Joseph, based on the last 10 yrs of Falcons history.

I really don't understand why Kiper has Rodrique Wright going in the 4th round on his board. I see him as a mid-2nd rounder. He must know something we don't.

Good point. Don't know how I forgot include Daniel Bullocks on my list. He's probably more NFL ready than Simpson. Simpson might be gone, too, because he's one of those *potential* guys. I would probably take Bullocks before Simpson, but not before any of my top 5.

Kiper has Bullocks rated higher than Simpson, too, even though most scouts put Simpson higher.

I'd love to see Mangold miraculously still be on the board, but the chances of him falling out of the 1st round are about as good as someone like a Darnell Bing being on the board; which is more likely to happen.

In order of preference I'd like to see us nab a Dunn clone, some interior OL help, a CB to push Webster, or a S for Milloy to groom.

Reasonably available guys:

RB - I'd love to see Laurence Maroney (MIN) or Brian Calhoun (WIS) available.

OL - McNeil (AUB) would be nice at RT, but his injury has been mentioned; how about Whitworth (LSU) instead. Lutui (SoCal) would be nice to start opposite Forney at G. And since Mangold will be gone, Greg Eslinger (MIN) would be nice.

CB - Between the two, either Marshall (FRES) or Joseph (USC) should be there when we pick.

S - Again, I'd love to see Bing (USC) on the board and I think he might be.

Boy, putting together a list of players who would be good picks for us at #47 is a lot harder than I thought. There's just no way to predict who will shoot up on draft day and who will fall with little explanation.

I figure Mangold is a pipe dream, but I envision him being the next Kevin Mawae type anchor center. Centers are very under-rated.

Honestly, I think Bing will be a 3rd rounder. McNeil will fall to the 3rd because of his back. Eslinger may be around in the 3rd.

I'd be disappointed if we picked one of those backs. I think we could get one of them in the 3rd.

Lutui or Joseph would be fantastic, as would Marshall. If Marshall or Jennings is there, McKay will take him. If neither one is there, I think he goes with Gabe Watson, Simpson or Bullocks. I really believe CB is what McKay wants to address in the 2nd round. DT is 2nd priority, and S is 3rd.

Who knows when the heck we will start to draft 2nd rounders.