• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Dickau a smoke screen?

KB21

Every rumor is saying the Hawks want Dan Dickau right now, and he is supposed to be in Atlanta tomorrow for a workout.

I just can't help but think that this may be a smoke screen, because taking Dickau doesn't fit with the make up of this team.

If the Hawks do intend on playing JT at the off guard position, then they have to find a point guard that has the size to defend opposing twos. Size alone won't work though. They have to be able to excel at the PG position as well.

If the Hawks do trade up, I have to think they are looking at the 6-6 Jiri Welsch or the 6-7 John Salmons. I don't know much about Welsch, but Salmons is the only player in Miami history to have more than 1000 points, 600 rebounds, 400 assists, and 150 steals in his career. This year, Salmons was 18th in the nation in assists at 6.1 apg. He has started 107 consecutive games for the 'canes, so he's durable. He really seems to have the ability to set up and lead an offense.

Thats my opinion at least. He is supposed to be a better shooting JT clone anyways. He is a better defender than JT though, which is the main difference between the two, although Dickau is no star defensive player. If having JT and Dickau are about equal for us, as much as I would hate losing JT, it would be worth it to get another position player. Dickau is a little more of a natural PG also I think. I really hope we dont trade JT, but if we draft Dickau then we must do that. I think that the team is more interested in Welsch though. He really is the PERFECT fit for us at PG. Nobody else in the draft would fit us better because he is a superior defensive player, can shoot from anyone on the court and is a playmaker. Drafting him however would mean likely that JT is moving to SG, because Welsch can guard any SGs in the league as good as any SG we have or could get on our roster. The main problem that I have is that Dermarr would have to either move to SF or to the bench. I am really concerned that unless he adds some weight, he wont be able to move to SF.......but honestly thats where he should be anyways. I just have to wonder in the back of my mind if either JT or DJ is the trade bait we are using to move up into the first round. I think using either would be a mistake, but at least JT could get us a young player with potential plus the draft pick. DJ could probably just get us a body plus the pick. Regarding Salmons, I honestly dont see us moving up into the teens to take him, but at 23 he could be a possibility.

The who is the big question.

When I heard these PGs being mentioned, my first thought was .... There goes DJ!

However, the size of these guys says to me...

There goes JT.

It wouldn't be much of a surprise either considering that for the last 3 yrs, JT has yet to be stable in a position. As far as a Classic PG goes..

Coles, Maloney, and Vaughn were all better than JT.

As far as playing him at "off gaurd".... JT does horribly on defense...

Possible trade scenerios that would get Babs this pumped up:

Miller/#18 for JT.

Odom/#12 for JT.

Szerb for JT. - less likely because Minn doesn't really need a 1 that bad.

Tinlsey/#14/Croshere for JT/Hendu - I wouldn't do it, but BABS would...

JT to GS for #3/Hughes. - Probably could happen seeing that After Jay Williams goes to Chicago, all GS have to look for is Forwards?

My guess is this.

Babs trades JT for a top notch SF and a pick and then tries to make up for his loss by picking a PG out of the draft.

Turn your flames on... However, it's time to stop avoiding the obvious...

If I were Pete, and I were trying to trade into the first round, and what I really wanted was a SF, then I would be doing what Pete has been doing, which is play up the PG angle for all it's worth.

That could explain why Pete has suddenly changed gears again on JT, because the nation thinks that's what we want to do, even if it isn't.

He is playing up the PG thing to the point where he even convinced me yesterday that he may be wavering in his previously stout opinion that JT is the PG, unless someone better came along...

If Pete wants a frontcourt player, or anything else other than a point for that matter, he has the media snowed.

I agree with KB and would wager on Salmons or Welsch over Jeffries, because of the position flexibility.

I'd have to be knocked over by an offer to deal JT.

JT shouldn't be traded for a draft pick and a player with potential. If he's traded, it should be for a player who is an established player and is young.

You don't go around trading players who can roll out of bed and score 20 ppg like JT can for just anything.

If Phoenix offered Shawn Marion and the #9 for JT, I'd consider it.

Well surely the team wouldn't be dumb enough to promise the

playoffs and trade our second best player.That would be really

dumb.You gunna trade JT a lotto pick for a barely first rounder

Dan Dickau?

Babs said a TOP PG IN THE NBA.If this is his idea I really think

we are in deep trouble.

I disagree, because if you look at the PGs the Hawks have or will work out:

Tito Maddox 6-4

Smush Parker 6-4

John Salmons 6-7

Lorinza Harrington 6-4

Dan Dickau is the only one that is considered short that is a true point guard. Neither Bremer nor Pargo are true point guards.

Plus, Jiri Welsch's name is being thrown in there as well, and he's 6-6. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta has Juan Carlos Navarro high on their 2nd round list, and he's a 6-5 point guard from FC Barcelona, whom Babs has a good working relationship with.

It would take more than Mike Miller and the 18th pick to get JT. Babs wouldn't do a trade for Lamar Odom, because Odom is too character flawed for Babs taste. I have to agree with Babs on this one as well. I wouldn't spit on Lamar Odom if he was on fire.

JT is a young star in this league. Just as soon as he goes to another team to play the PG position, he'll suddenly come into the limelight and be one of the top PGs in the league, which he already is. The Hawks management just doesn't have the foresight to see this, IMO. When talking a trade of JT, then names like Shawn Marion should be coming up.

The 9th and Marion for JT????The Suns probably wouldn't do

Marion for JT str8 up.

But I don't want Mike Miller.I'd rather have JT than him.

Bimbo Coles better than JT as a PG???Bimbo Coles???Does he

even still play?

Matt Maloney is a SG and was noway better than JT at the point.

How many times did Matt Maloney crack 10 assist?How many times

did he get 5?

Well, the problem with the SF position is that it is very top heavy in this draft. We would have to trade into the top 10 to get a shot at a Caron Butler or a Jared Jeffries, who are the top small forwards in the draft along with Dunleavy. Nachbar is likely gone in the top 12. Who knows about Tskitishvili, except that he won't be able to help any team this year.

Unless they are looking to move into the teens to take Tayshaun Prince, I can't see them taking a SF.

The shooting guards aren't very strong at the top. I like Yarbrough the best. Rush is more of a small forward, and Wagner is a 1:2 tweener who doesn't pass and can't play defense.

...is just nonsense to me. It does'nt matter to me who we will or would or might take with a high pick when I consider what we will have to give up. I'm hoping this board is just buying into draft hype, and not seriously overlooking the fact that we would almost have to trade one of our young core players to get into the top 10-20. I mean seriously, is some team just gonna drop a high pick into our lap for free? Come on. Even IF someone was that retarded, is Pete gonna carry 13 players on the roster?? The thought of losing JT, Reef, DerMarr, or Theo makes me nauseous, and reeks of creating a hole to fill in another hole. Unless we can trade our non core players or consolidate our 2nd rounder with our 2 future firsts owed us, it's jsut not worth it IMO.

Guest Walter

Yes, many of public opinion's "top notch" and/or more developed Sfs will likely be gone by 15. However, many of the teams also thinking this and having a need for such a Sf will have traded up to get one of these where they can. We can't really expect to trade up so high, but with a 23rd overall pick we could get Boris Diaw Riffiod (If he is still in the draft), Sekularic, or MAYBE (meaning a BIG maybe that we should) even Prince.

I question whether Grizzard or Yarburough have shown enough of the necessary "intangibles" or the consistency to warrant a 1st rd pick and guaranteed 3 year deal from us. Prince might have.

With all the teams wanting Sfs throwing their chips in early, we might have just the right hand to get potentially one of the best in the crop late.

W

If I'm Babcock, I trade a future #1, #2 this year and a scrub like Dion Glover to get a high SF pick. If we were to somehow manuever and get a Gooden or Butler or even Prince, I think we dominate the East for a long time to come.(maybe even throw two #1s or 2s their way)

If you were going to trade JT why would you replace him with a WalMart JT? Hell you may as well keep JT if you are going to get Dicku because JT is and will always be better than Dicku. And both players are said to wink.gif not be true pg's so why repeat the same " " Mistake?

Babcock is trying to get Welsh or Salmons both I would be happy with because they can play 1-3. They are probably hoping one of the top SF fall.

When we had Maloney, it was evident who was better at running the team. Same goes for Coles.

That was my point.

JT has never been the type PG who can run an offense. Ooohhh.. Say it ain't so.

Since we got him, his whole mode of operation has been pass off the ball and find my spot. For you who are foolish enough to compare JT to Bibby, need to understand that the only reason JT ever started at UA was that Bibby Left.

JT still doesn't do a good job running the offense. I hope that changes but it's the truth.

So you are telling me when JT was averaging 20 ppg and 7 apg when they moved him to Pg he wasn, better at running the team than Maloney? I am sorry Diesel, but you are letting large media toy with your mind. The offense ran fine the second half of the season with JT at point. I know because I watched it with my own to eyes. I really wish people would quit trying to turn JT into John Stockton and let him play his own damn game.

there is a good chance that JT could DOMINATE at SG. If we had a pure PG with size that had the ability to defend also, like a Jiri Welsch or an Andre Miller (Dreaming!)......then JT could concentrate 100% on his game and not have to really worry about getting his teamates involved. That would also set us up with a superior ball handling backcourt if we had that type of PG I just mentioned. I certainly think JT can handle the point fine, but I have to wonder if we arent holding him back by putting him there.