Boris Diaw......

emeans

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Woodson and only Woodson is the reason Diaw failed in Atlanta.

What?? Woodson is partly to blame, but so is Diaw. The way I'd assign blame:

25% Woodson inability to get through to Diaw

25% wrong system for Diaw to succeed (no way he could have been an F-C here)

25% lack of compatible talent

25% Diaw's unprofessionalism by not doing what was asked.

There is no way Woodson is completely to blame.

Quote:

..What what was he asked? Seems like he was just asked to sit on the bench and play mop-up minutes, he did that with the best of him.

I know what you are getting at but I just don't agree. The only coach that Diaw has had problems with was Woodson, he never got big minutes so how was he going to get any confidence? Whenever he talks about his time in Atlanta compared to Phoenix he always says confidence and trust, seems to me like Woodson didn't show any confidence or trust to Diaw...

Woddson coaching Diaw = a cave man with a transistor radio

"how does this thing work?"

Quote:

What what was he asked? Seems like he was just asked to sit on the bench and play mop-up minutes, he did that with the best of him.

Under the basket, alone, with the ball. He was asked "SHOOT THE BALL," yelled almost simultaneously by the coach AND the fans, including me. He just needed to shoot the damn ball!

And he didn't.

Quote:

I think it was Diaw personally, because the change in his game didn't start when he got to the Suns, it change over the summer with the French National team.

Good point, if accurate.. I never followed his French team antics.

he played great with his french team before coming here too. National championship, Finals MVP, dunk contest champ...

Apparently he was shooting horribly when he first got to phoenix too but they spent a ton of time getting him shooting better and getting him to be more confident with his shot.

It's hard to pinpoint what the cause is, but clearly increased confidence has worked wonders for him

Quote:

It's hard to pinpoint what the cause is, but clearly increased confidence has worked wonders for him

This is just my own personal view here, but there's no reason these multimillionaire young men should need coddling, and no reason they should be expected to give up when the drill sargeant kind of coach gives them a tongue-lashing.

agreed, but history has shown that many of them do. Rich or not, they're still human and young. Some guys thrive under a bobby knight treatment, others need a nanny to coddle them. Either way if they're on my team, I just want them to perform at their best.

KB21 you missing two things. First of all that was his ROOKIE season and you can't truly evaluate a player after his 1st season. This is what I am trying to get thru you guys head about Marvin. Stop evaluating him after 1 year.

And yes Terry Stotts, Raheem and Theo Ratliffe went on record several times saying how good Diaw was and was going to be once he got some experience under his belt. They raved about Diaw his rookie year!! They all saw the potential this kid had and they went on record saying so.

Lastly, I didn't say Woodson couldn't coach, you made that reference. I am saying Diaw didn't succeed because of Woodson, however that doesn't mean he can't coach!! But to sit there and say Woodson had nothing to do with Diaw's unsuccessful stint in Atlanta is foolish!!

Diaw needed to be left the "f" alone and let him build his confidence and familiarity of the game thru minutes. Diaw has a very quiet demeanor so the yelling stuff doesn't get across to well with him.

With Woodson yelling, the fans yelling, probably the entire coaching staff yelling and then getting more yelling on the bench on top of being bench for an entire game......you tell me what his reaction would be.

Last night when they interviewed him all he talked about what the coach and organization putting trust and confidence in him giving him the confidence to do whatever he needed to do on the court. Do you ever see Pheonix's coaching yelling and screaming at him??? Hell no!!

Diaw has been successful everywhere except with the Atlanta Hawks.

Quote:

With Woodson yelling, the fans yelling, probably the entire coaching staff yelling and then getting more yelling on the bench on top of being bench for an entire game......you tell me what his reaction would be.

I can't tell you what his reaction 'would be.' I can tell you what it should have been, and I can tell you what it was. Yes, we (coaches and fans alike) did ourselves a disservice by frightening the young Diaw into submission, but it's still a character flaw that he was unable to cope with it.

If I remember right Larry Bird had a character flaw too (didn't like getting yelled at by Bobby Knight)...so he told him to take a flying leap and left IU.

alittle help from an Indiana State coach, some good work at Boston, and he's in the hall of fame.

I'm not saying Diaw is going to be in the HOF - but the days of yelling and intimidation are gone in the nba...long gone.

Diaw has improved since going to Phoenix and I agree the Hawks have made rebuilding mistakes letting some players go. But this is getting ridiculous. Phoenix plays a donut offense, the man in the middle will be uncovered if a team decides to try to take away their 3 point shooting. Dallas defended that way last nite, Diaw had a good game. If they had decide to put Tim Thomas or James Jones in the post they would have had similar results.

Diaw's size probably allows him to play center a little better than JSmoove, Marvin, JChill, or even Donta but on our team with it's systems I think all those players are practically as good if not better than Diaw. Al Harrington would have killed Dallas if Phoenix had him in the post last night. Actually if Phoenix just had a player as good as Harrington, JSmoove, or probably Marvin then Dallas probably would have came out of that defense.

We drafted Diaw to play with JT and for his versatility. Now it's showing but it he would have rode the pine on the Hawks last year if he hadnt just scooted back to France where he should be. Even with how much better Diaw is playing he still often passes the ball out for a contested 3 pointer when he's open in the paint. He finishes soft and guards the paint less than Al Harrington. I'm glad we were able to use him as a tradeable asset. Actually what is interesting to me is how much will Phoenix pay to extend his contract.

Again another fan in denial. Diaw has not just had 1 good game...he has had an entire good year!!

Yes, Phoenix has Nash and Marion, but I will say this. The Phoenix Suns are not in the Western Conference finals pushing for the FINALS without Boris Diaw. The Phoenix Suns are not the second seed without Boris Diaw. Hate Diaw all you want but the kid is having a huge significant impact on the Suns. Diaw was damn near unstoppable last night.

Diaw had a few facial slams last night....see what a little confidence does. Diaw may be in the All-Star game next year.