• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What position will JSmoove eventually play??

DavidSomerset

Do yall think he is going to end up being a PF? I know that is how he was projected when we drafted him, and he certainly plays defense like one, but his offensive game seems a whole lot more like a SG/SF to me.

Same question for Marvin Williams as well...I hope he does turn into a star PF...but he is not very good at posting up, IMO.

If we could get LaMarcus. I actually could see him playing SG more.

C-Zaza Pachulia

PF-LaMarcus Aldridge

SF-Marvin Williams

SG-Josh Smith

PG-Joe Johnson

BK=VERY HAPPY

I heard Smoove has been working hard so far this offseason. He still has that drive to continue to get better. With his development on the offensive end. Perhaps playing SG might be possible. Until the Hawks can get say a LaMarcus Aldridge. His position will be PF/SF.

Smith as SG would be a complete disaster. The only part of his game that approaches that of a SG is , obviously, his desire to shoot long jumpers. He can't guards SG's. His dribble isn't nearly good enough for a SF, let alone a SG.

I would love to get aldridge too, but it would basically be Smith-Marvin-Aldridge-Zaza splitting the time at the 3-4-5.

Smith and marvin are both 3/4s. Al was dominating our post offense and in consequence they were both on the perimeter last year. Also, the knock from his rookie year was that he couldn't shoot a lick, so teams were giving him wide open long jumpers, daring him to shoot. Eventually he did, and was hitting them well.

Nevertheless, Marvin and Smith can both easily become good post players. Marvin has been quoted as saying that he'd rather play at PF, and be in the post in offense. Smith did well when he was put in the post last year, although woody didn't put him there until al was out.

I think if you look at Smith, his best scenario is probably going to be a guy who can shoot long jumpers, and pump fake and blow by his man and attack the rim. Our whole team settles for jumpers too much and if there's anyone on this team who has the body to attack the rim and get a foul or and and1 on damn near every play, it's smoove. I still think he's better playing D on PF's, and he'd have a quickness advantage with PF's playing him, much like Diaw has in Phoenix.

If you just look at last year, you'd think they were both perimeter players. But the truth is that 90% of the time Zaza was in or around the paint, Al was posting up trying to get the ball, and JJ was penetrating trying to create for himself or others. Which naturally left the other players on the wings.

I think Marvin and/or Smith can become good post players.

I think that BK takes the "let's not worry about positions" thing too far, but if there's one area where I could really see that working for us, it's with Marvin-Smith at the 2 forward spots, with both guys guarding whoever they feel more comfortable with depending on the matchup, and both guys being able to play inside or outside on offense.

Guest Walter

Quote:

If we could get LaMarcus. I actually could see him playing SG more.

Now that MW was drafted "JS the SG" plays Pf for KB. What a laugher.

D@mn people will lineup up players everywhere in their fantasy lineups rather than just simply trade a guy. WTF is wrong with trading JS or MW for an equal talent at another position?

If I could trade MW for Shaun Livingston wouldn't that lineup be better? Then GD DO IT! And quit hem hawing about whatever it is that makes people insist upon backing MW despite our glut and his not being as good as JS.

I feel like MW is the "war Sf" can't talk about trading him now, while his value as a #2 pick is high and for positional and skill redundancy purposes without everybody going "Hawk patriotic".

Sorry, had to vent.

W

What position will Smoove eventually play?

Your answer:

Quote:

Now that MW was drafted "JS the SG" plays Pf for KB. What a laugher.

D@mn
people will lineup up players everywhere in their fantasy lineups rather than just simply trade a guy. WTF is wrong with trading JS or MW for an equal talent at another position?

If I could trade MW for Shaun Livingston wouldn't that lineup be better? Then GD DO IT! And quit hem hawing about whatever it is that makes people insist upon backing MW despite our glut and his not being as good as JS.

I feel like MW is the "war Sf" can't talk about trading him now, while his value as a #2 pick is high and for positional and skill redundancy purposes without everybody going "Hawk patriotic".

Go through the ten million other trade MWill post and reply to them. Sometimes I really wonder what grade levels posters are at. Its like there needs to be a teacher online constantly saying "do not get distracted and please stay on the subject matter"

Quote:

way to bring your dead horse into every thread. Did anyone mention trading or refusing to trade anyone in this thread? Is KB in this thread?

I think Walter is totally confused...

Guest Walter

playing Josh Smith ANYWHERE but where he is best suited. It's either Pf or Sg but the facts are the same. People would rather force a guy to play (horribly in some cases) out of position rather than seek a trade. What kind of nonsense is this?

My response is exactly ON POINT. Nobody's asking what position Josh Smith SHOULD PLAY but rather "will play" in order to make room for everybody else to play in position. Josh is getting screwed at this site. That is a crime against him and the team. I guarantee you if we didn't have either MW or JS, neither one would be remotely thought of as a starting Pf.

Rather than cut off our nose (play JS out of position), to spite our face (insist that drafting MW wasn't a mistake), let's build a team shall we.

W

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

You and I think a lot alike
cool.gif

...label you an "unpatriotic Hawk".

I've paid my dues as a Hawk fan and just want to see a winning TEAM not a bottle neck of Sf talent forced to play everywhere but where they are best suited.

W

i've been pushing for smoove at pf since his rookie season, before we ever had MW...many of us feel he'll be best at pf, not because of marvin, but because of smoove

i know u/diesel have your blinders on and can't hear us saying that tho, so continue to believe that everyone wants smoove at pf only due to marvin

Guest Walter

Quote:

i've been pushing for smoove at pf since his rookie season, before we ever had MW...many of us feel he'll be best at pf, not because of marvin, but because of smoove

i know u/diesel have your blinders on and can't hear us saying that tho, so continue to believe that everyone wants smoove at pf only due to marvin

That's Antwan Jamison. Nobody 6'9" or shorter and 225 (or even 240) is in the top ten. Recall that Jamison played Pf in HS and college and is often a liability in the post despite a good post skill set. Is this really what you see for JS?

Moreover, he hasn't shown a lick of interest in it. He's developed his perimeter game but couldn't care less about the post.

And more...even with Harrington at 250 we were undersized and outskilled in the post. Josh Smith does not remotely have even Harrington's skill set in the post and won't for MANY MANY years assuming he even wants to.

But of course, you see him as a Pf. WEll then despite all the evidence against you...

W

Quote:

My response is exactly ON POINT. Nobody's asking what position Josh Smith
SHOULD PLAY
but rather "will play" in order to make room for everybody else to play in position. Josh is getting screwed at this site. That is a crime against him and the team.
I guarantee you if we didn't have either MW or JS, neither one would be remotely thought of as a starting Pf.

W

I really did not see this as a question of will play vs can play vs should play. It looked like a very simple question and to me is simple to answer. PF , no doubt about it. His defense is there and he needs to work on a drop step and/or baby hook. A little ten foot turn around like McDyess would be nice as well.

Really simple things to do given Smoove's natural ability. He is already our best shot blocker and rebounder so what is not to like about his game as a PF?

But then again this is not a debate. Its just a simple question for anyone who is registered. You got my answer, enough said. I really don't want to pad my Squawk stats so this answer, to a very simple question, should be more than enough.

Quote:

I guarantee you if we didn't have either MW or JS, neither one would be remotely thought of as a starting Pf.

Rather than cut off our nose (play JS out of position), to spite our face (insist that drafting MW wasn't a mistake), let's build a team shall we.

W

W

I don't really know how long you have been around Walter, but before the draft of MWill a lot us of us on the Squawk considered Smoove a PF.

Here is a quote from Diesel on 2-12-05

Quote:

J-smoove on the other hand has the makings of a PF.

Here is the link:

Smoove a PF

Either you have not been around for a while or you only read what you want to hear. Either way, to state that we only consider Smoove a PF because of MWill is totally false and could not be further from the truth. If you do the search you can find similar statements from most of us before MWill was drafted! Just do the work before you make your false guarantees...

yup. Personally I hope he can be Shawn Kemp part II. Kemp came in very raw, worked on his post game first and then later added the long jumper. The result was a very effective overall game. Smith came in raw, has added the long jumper, and now needs to add more post moves. They're about the same size.

Quote:

Hahaha...this is literally what I have been saying for the past year on the Falcons message boards...everyone on there gave me crap for not wanting us to draft MW either. I was one of the few that wanted Chris Paul from the beginning.

I wanted CP as well because we needed a PG, but we got Marvin and i am still fine with that.

If he didn't have the skills and talent that he has than i would call him a bust and try to trade him. But no way a talented player like that can turn to be a bust.

Patience friends.. laugh.gif