• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Holy cow, what a great game (Lakers-Mavs)

Admin

Talk about the heart of a champion.......anyone here think for a second that TMac could have brought his team back from down 30 almost by himself against a great Mavs team? Kobe is just unstoppable when he wants to be. TMac is great, but I cant see him doing what Kobe did tonight.

Talk about lack of heart or whatever, the fact is that the Mavs fell into what every major league team in any sport is prone to do, and that's shut off the offense when they feel the lead is safe.

Rick Mahorn told me last year that any good team knows that 20 points ain't any kind of big lead, no matter what the fans think. He told me it's only 10 possessions, and that's not many at all.

Dallas took themselves out of the game by pulling back on the reins (as we are apt to do as well in the fourth) and trying to milk the clock way too early, a tactic dutifully noted by Tom Tolbert during the telecast.

This shut Dallas energy off completely and let the Lakers back into the game. The Lakers fed off the success and their own energy and took it to the Mavs, who by this point were trying to hang on and were clearly on their collective heels.

Moral of the story: Keep scoring. There is no prize for holding back...it usually leads to your downfall. Don't pull all of your starters, as DAL had, and make sure the game is won before you try and declare it so.

I am glad I saw it, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the turning point for the Lakers this year.

The Mavs went into "milk the clock mode" and their lack of aggressiveness is what let LA back in the game. All it took was the combination of the MAVs lack of aggressiveness and the Lakers suddenly getting hot (and aggressive) to change the momentum. If the MAVs had stayed aggressive to start the 4th, no way LA comes back. All the MAVs had to do was knock down 3 or 4 early shots in the 4th and the game would hsve been over. Instead, they let LA back in the game with their passive play.

It just goes to show how important momentum is. Even a talented team like Dallas can succumb to the Big Mo. Funny thing is that none of this would have mattered if the Lakers hadn't knocked down those shots. Shaw looked like he did against Portland in playoffs 3 years ago and Kobe was incredible. George and Shaq made big shots too. As long as Nellie has been around, you would have thought he would have called the TO when LA cut the lead to 22 from 27 instead of waiting for it to get to 15. I thought the Mavs were in trouble once the Lakers cut 10 points off that 4th quarter deficit in a hurry.

By the way, those TNT Bobbleheads look great on my bar! I set 'em up next to my Mike Vick and Keith Brooking bobbleheads. Big thanks again for the ticket! You're THE MAN! I'll have to treat you to dinner sometime before a game. Just let me know when and we'll do it!