• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Departed

Lascar78

Saw this movie this weekend. Definitely the best movie I have seen in a long, long time. For once, it's a movie that lives up to the hype, which is even more rare for re-makes.

For those who don't know, Jack Nicholson plays a major boston gangster. Leo Dicaprio is a cop who infiltrates the mob, while Matt Damon is a crooked cop who works for nicholson. Both Dicaprio and Damon turn in career performances. DiCaprio especially impresses by ditching the pretty boy image. He really sells the part and the part comes off as authentic from start to finish. The casting was phenomenal with Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg in supporting roles that help round the edges just right and really took the movie to another level. I don't recall ever seeing a 2.5 hour movie that went by this fast. The bulk of the action revolves around the various characters trying to deceive each other and find out each others' identities. And of course there's a girl too.

This movie is definitely Scorcese's second best movie, and anyone who liked Goodfellas should go see it, it's an instant classic. I can't recommend this movie highly enough. If you like gangster movies, go see it.

11582.jpg

Quote:

Saw this movie this weekend. Definitely the best movie I have seen in a long, long time. For once, it's a movie that lives up to the hype, which is even more rare for re-makes.

For those who don't know, Jack Nicholson plays a major boston gangster. Leo Dicaprio is a cop who infiltrates the mob, while Matt Damon is a crooked cop who works for nicholson. Both Dicaprio and Damon turn in career performances. DiCaprio especially impresses by ditching the pretty boy image. He really sells the part and the part comes off as authentic from start to finish. The casting was phenomenal with Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg in supporting roles that help round the edges just right and really took the movie to another level. I don't recall ever seeing a 2.5 hour movie that went by this fast. The bulk of the action revolves around the various characters trying to deceive each other and find out each others' identities. And of course there's a girl too.

This movie is definitely Scorcese's second best movie, and anyone who liked Goodfellas should go see it, it's an instant classic. I can't recommend this movie highly enough. If you like gangster movies, go see it.

11582.jpg

I take it Jack wasn't very effective. Is that the case?

Not at all. I guess I kind of left him out, but this is by far the best I've seen him in any movie that came out when I was of age. I guess maybe I didn't want to sound like I was saying like all actors were having career roles, or maybe I always just assume that Jack will be good.

He was exceptional also. I honestly wasn't sure if he could pull off the tough guy racist ruthless irish mobster role, but he does it without a hitch. He and Leo really carry this movie.

It's good to see Scorcese return to the top, because he'd been a little up and down, by his own standards.

This really is a must see.

I agree 100%. This is a classic American crime picture. I love Goodfellas, so it's hard for me to say another film is as good, but this comes close. I would say that I think there is more brutallity in this film than in Goodfellas, both in language and violence. All the actors are great, all believable, and the ending is tremendous. Scorcese has to get his Oscar, doesn't he?

Quote:

I agree 100%. This is a classic American crime picture. I love Goodfellas, so it's hard for me to say another film is as good, but this comes close. I would say that I think there is more brutallity in this film than in Goodfellas, both in language and violence. All the actors are great, all believable, and the ending is tremendous. Scorcese has to get his Oscar, doesn't he?

It would be funny if he lost the Oscar to Robert... but I doubt that will happen. I've heard bad buzz about The Good Shephard. Mainly Jolie. I heard the role she has in this one is too much for her to handle.