• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Sergio Rodriguez as a Hawk?

txsting

Just musing about PG's already in the league who could be acquisition targets. I started to think about Sergio and I became intrigued with his game. He's just a rookie, and was taken 27th last year by the Suns (traded to the Blazers). The Blazers are giving most of the PG minutes to Jack, and Sergio is filling a backup role playing 11 mpg.

Sergio's game is compared to Jason Williams frequently - that is to say he's a great distributor and flashy, sometimes too much. He averages 3.3 apg in his short minutes. His sample size is small, but he appears to control the game by assisting a very high % of his teammates baskets (45.7%, second in the league to Nash, http://www.82games.com/random28.htm).

Question marks seem to be defense and shot choice/accuracy. I can't say I've seen too much of him because a) the blazers suck, and b) they are on the west coast. Can Sergio play D?

I feel that we need a distributor and high tempo point to properly run this team. I don't know if Acie Law is the best choice for that (kind of like Foye last year), and he might be the only point we could reasonably take with the Indiana pick. I'd take Crit in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's coming out. I'm also assuming that we won't really go for Billups (age/money) or Mo Williams.

Portland might prefer a sparkplug scorer (Lue/Salim) coming off the bench behind the steady Jack, so there might be a deal possible for Sergio, but PTL's over the cap so it's tough.

What do y'all think? Who else might we look at?

you can stop thinking about it, it's just not going down, i would take alot for a team to pry him away from the blazers, and really it isn't worth it. he's going to be a great PG, but it's going to cost to get him and the price is going to be too high. more than lue/salim anyway.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Just musing about PG's already in the league who could be acquisition targets. I started to think about Sergio and I became intrigued with his game.

Honestly, without BK this board would have very little to talk about. We owe him for all his many, MANY mistakes.

While you can't blame BK directly for not getting Sergio, you can blame him directly for not getting a legit Pg (yet having 4 sorry and/or over-the-hill ones). The "Spanish Magician" was my second fave Pg prospect last year behind Marcus Williams. Rondo a very close 3rd, maybe a 2b. Should have been able to get something like that done or at least get a credible Pg in the last 4 years.

However, BK as a liability makes for great forum copy.

W

Quote:

Honestly, without BK this board would have very little
negative things
to talk about. We owe him for all his many, MANY mistakes.

I fixed your quote. We'd be talking about playoffs, our great up and coming players, cap space that we would still have (probably about 15+ million), and all the FA's wanting to come here. Man wouldn't that be nice.

Quote:

Quote:

Just musing about PG's already in the league who could be acquisition targets. I started to think about Sergio and I became intrigued with his game.

Honestly, without BK this board would have very little to talk about. We owe him for all his many, MANY mistakes.

While you can't blame BK directly for not getting Sergio, you can blame him directly for not getting a legit Pg (yet having 4 sorry and/or over-the-hill ones). The "Spanish Magician" was my second fave Pg prospect last year behind Marcus Williams. Rondo a very close 3rd, maybe a 2b. Should have been able to get something like that done or at least get a credible Pg in the last 4 years.

However, BK as a liability makes for great forum copy.

W

Walter: It seems 90% of your post are about nailing BK. You appear to be that you are obsessed. You may need to get some help for it.

Txsting: I'd love to have Sergio, in fact more than Jack.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Walter: It seems 90% of your post are about nailing BK. You appear to be that you are obsessed. You may need to get some help for it.

...I'm all for getting "help". In fact, I'll lay on a couch and pour out my soul for an hour a week if during that time BK isn't running the team. I'll schedule my first session June 28th 2007. hidesbehindsofa.gif

W