• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Terry may not be a Hawk.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/sports/ha...03/11hawks.html

If terry turned down 5 yrs 36 million dollars (that's more than 7 million per) there is NO way, we will be able to keep him this offseason. That's unbelievable. Terry turned down 5 yrs 36 million because he believes he's worth more than that?

That was last summer, with the Hawks struggles and JT coming to the realization that he has to play PG he would probably take close to that now.

Now if we happen to turn it around and make the playoffs he might get a little greedy.

"I'd give myself a C-plus," Terry said, assessing his first-half performance. "The numbers were good. We just didn't win enough games. Point guards in this league are judged on the success the team has."

He say he wants to stay in ATL, he wants a 7 year contract.

The Hawks will likely offer him the qualifying offer this offseason (about 3 million for one year), thereby retaining right of first refusal, and then:

A: Match any offer that comes along for JT

This is not likely to be more than the mid level exception for many teams, as those who are under the cap will not likely offer any more than the Hawks did last offseason.

B: Let JT play out next year, his fifth, and let him be an unrestricted FA or trade him at NEXT year's deadline.

This is likely to be what happens. The Hawks get another year, at low cost, to see if they can win with JT in the backcourt, and if not, can either let him go or find a suitor that can give the Hawks at least as much as they would have received this deadline.

The Hawks are not under any pressure to do something with JT this offseason, so there is no pressure to deal him right now. He is still cheap production and can continue to be through next season.

I suppose he will find out when he hits the open market in two years.

Mike Bibby seems to think somebody will pay him, but if he can't play the point and run a team effectively, I am not so sure.

JT can define himself over the next two season, but he already has a rep in place, and apparantly it's not worth more than 7 mil/season.

I said this over the summer and still believe it to be true. JT should be offered a seven year contract somewhere in the vicinity of 49 million a year...pretty much identical to ones garnered by White Chocolate and Dickerson last summer. Whlie I'm not saying that the Grizz didn't make mistakes in giving them those contracts, the price range it about right...

so along the same line of reasoning, five years at 35 million is about right. Maybe throw in some incentives for all-star selections, team wins, etc.

GM's are really starting to move away from the seven year deals now, with contracts having fewer years becoming a premium in making trades...

• Premium Member

If the roster remains the same...

Do you think we will match any offer given.

A team like Chicago or Detroit or even San Antonio will be able to offer Terry a lot of money. YOU think we'd go into the luxury tax area to match?

Chicago can't. They made that mistake with Robinson, they can't afford to pay that kind of money for a bench player (they wouldn't start him ahead of Rose, JWill, etc).

I just don't think that the other teams will be paying top dollar for him...very few.