• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Variation on the Portland trade rumor...

DavidSomerset

I know Portland's front office is denying the rumor that they want Conley, but I think this trade would actually be better for the Hawks.

#3 pick for Lamarcus (plug him in at C) and their 2008 1st rounder unprotected.

I'm not sure that Jack has what it takes to be a full time starting PG, and I'm not sure he's better than anything else we've got on the roster (Lue, AJ, Speedy).

I would rather have their 2008 pick...I doubt they make the playoffs next year (even though they definitely will in the future), and heck, we could get lucky and get very high in the 2008 draft if they have enough bad luck/injuries.

This would also allow us to take Law/Crit at 11 for those of you who think he is not any worse of a prospect than Conley.

AJ/Law or Crit

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chillz

Smoove/Shelden

Lamarcus/Zaza

If you are one who DOES think that Jack is capable of being a solid, full time PG, then we could do this trade.

#3 + Chillz for LA, Jack, 2008 1st rounder.

Jack/AJ

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Free agent

Smoove/Shelden

Lamarcus/Zaza/Noah or Hawes

If Jack were up to it, I would actually prefer that scenario because we could use 11 on another big body.

Portland is not trading Aldridge and certainly not for the number 3 pick and throwing in their first rounder. If ATL insists on it they will wait to see if Conley falls to MIL at number 6 and offer Jack and multiple 2nd rounders.

• Moderators

Quote:

Bucks are not trading the 6th pick for Jack and 2nd rounders. They will Aldridge as well. They have no need for Zach. All talks of the Blazers wanting back into the top-10 will start with and end with Aldridge.

Agreed.

However, I think their 2008 unprotected first has greater value than Jarret Jack - especially if they want to draft Conley.

Oden-Conley not a package

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

O K. Greg Oden is the man. Ohio State teammate and friend Michael Conley Jr. is the man beside the man. And rookie sports agent and over-involved father Michael Conley Sr. is the man behind the man beside the man.

Got all that?

Great.

Clip out that first paragraph and keep it for reference for the next month because you're going to need to remember those three things whenever you hear a rumbling or rumor involving the Trail Blazers, Oden and either of the Conleys.

Depending on whom you believe, the Trail Blazers are either obsessed, or mildly interested, in acquiring a second NBA draft lottery pick they allegedly plan to use to acquire Conley Jr., who has played alongside Oden since junior high.

The Blazers suspect most of the misinformation flying around about their phantom pursuit of Conley Jr. is coming from Camp Conley, which is run by Conley Sr. There is no pursuit, the Blazers said. They like Conley Jr., but they like their young nucleus even more. While it's true, a team source said, that the Blazers had a conversation with the Atlanta Hawks about their No. 3 pick, it was a single conversation that went nowhere fast.

The Hawks apparently wanted two young Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge and Jarrett Jack) along with Portland's first pick in 2008 as part of the trade. And I'm thinking the Blazers nodded and moved on because a source close to that phone call said, "I'm sure Greg Oden will become good friends with Brandon Roy."

I have never met Conley Sr. But I've heard he's an intelligent, caring, pleasant man. I know he ran track at Arkansas and that he was the Olympic gold medalist in 1992 in the triple jump. And that he spent the last seven years working with USA Track and Field.

Then, he recently decided to head into the sports agent business with Oden as his prized client. He started a management group (MAC Management Group) and recently partnered with an established agency (BDA Sports Management). I suspect Conley Sr. cares immensely for his son, and for Oden. He coached them both since they were in the sixth grade. And he's repeatedly said that he believes he's doing what is best for them.

But what Conley Sr. is missing is what's best for the Blazers. I suspect it does not include his son.

Especially not if the Blazers are asked to give up players like Roy and Aldridge, who no sane general manager would trade straight-up for Conley Jr. The Ohio State guard hasn't proven he can consistently shoot or win without Oden on the low block.

The Blazers have games to win next season, and championships to chase beyond that. And they have a roster to manage today. And they're going to do what's best for the organization, even with Camp Conley spreading hype, trying to fuel trade talks and interest. That's what sports agents do, sometimes mucking up the whole process.

Ruben Patterson's agent and Darius Miles' agent attempted to engineer trades for their clients, off and on during the last three years, and each time, they've been told to return to the Blazers with a trade that makes sense. Patterson didn't leave until the Nuggets came calling. Miles is still in red and black. So I suppose agents try, but ultimately are aware that they're not the integral players unless they're holding the leverage.

Conley Sr. has leverage in Oden. He knows it. The Blazers know it. Maybe that explains their lone phone call, and mild public interest. Maybe they're the ones putting on the show, if only so they can tell Oden they tried.

Anyone who has spent any time around Oden knows he loves Conley Jr. like a brother. And that he trusts Conley Sr. enough to sign with him over the more established and experienced agencies who could broker better sneaker deals. But right about now, I'm wishing Camp Conley could get a little visit from Bob Sugar, one of the sports-agent characters from the movie "Jerry Maguire," who would explain to the Conleys that this draft stuff is "show business, not show friends."

You sort of hope this doesn't devolve to the point where Conley Jr. is threatening to sit out, or not report, if the Hawks pick him. And that Oden doesn't threaten to do the same to Portland should they pass on his friend. And that Conley Sr. realizes that the greatest gift he could give his son is the confidence that he'll know he can succeed with or without Oden.

John Canzano: 503-294-5065; JohnCanzano@aol.com To read his blog, go to http://blog.oregonlive.com/ johncanzano; Catch him on the radio on "The Bald-Faced Truth,"

Quote:

Bucks are not trading the 6th pick for Jack and 2nd rounders. They will Aldridge as well. They have no need for Zach. All talks of the Blazers wanting back into the top-10 will start with and end with Aldridge.

If that is indeed the case (and I'm assuming this is an opinion?) it will indeed not happen.

I would trade the 3rd pick for Aldridge and a 1st rounder. We could then take Critt/Law at 11 and have had one helluva draft. I do get the sense the Blazers will not part with Aldridge but I wouldn't be 100% sure.

BK actually did the smart thing and asked for everything. The next time maybe a scaled down version of that deal would be more enticing to PTL.

I do believe that PTL will do everything in their power to get Conley. Its the best PR move and it makes everybody happy.

Also, the fact that Pritchard actually called Jack and updated him and told him there was a chance he may or may not be back...that is a sign that there may be a deal at some point.

One final point: I do not think a deal with PTL can be consumated without Jack because Conley and Sergio will be there and aren't moving. I would take Jack instead of a 1st and be thrilled.