• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here's another scenario

Dragitoff

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I was thinking about all this talk of possibly trading the pick for Randolph, Jack, Aldridge, Gasol, and pretty much everyone else out there. I don't know if this would work financially, but what about this scenario? What if the Hawks took a gamble on a restricted FA like Darko Milicic or Anderson Varajeo and kept their draft picks and used them to draft Yi at #3 and the best PG available at #11 (say it was Crittendon)? Alot of scouts are comparing Yi to Gasol and instead of trading away alot of valuable pieces for an expensive player, let's draft a cheaper clone of him. I'm sure Millicic will command a bigger salary than Varajeo unless Varajeo has a great Finals, but isn't that a chance worth taking? Try to trade one of the vet PG's or Lorenzen Wright for a future pick or 2nd rounder if you could get any takers. Lue has alot of value and I'd think Wright does too since he has an expiring contract (if I'm not mistaken)

Speedy/Lue/Crittendon (Woody will start the vet over the rook at first)

JJ//Chillz/AJ/Salim

Smoove/Marvin

Yi/Shelden

Millicic or Varajeo/ZaZa/Jones/Wright

Personally, that gives you a great deal of versatility. You've got some serious shot blockers out there with that lineup and you've got offensive weapons galore. Just some random thoughts. If Yi wasn't ready for the NBA immediately, you could always go with this lineup

Speedy/Lue/Critt

JJ/AJ/Slim

Marvin/Chillz

Smoove/Yi/Shelden

Darko or Varajeo/ZaZa/Jones/Wright

That's 15 people under contract and you could let Jones get a little time in the NBDL if needed although I think he's already shown he's ready to contribute. It would be nice if you could package Lue/Lorenzen for a pick though. Relieve some contract room and give someone an expiring contract along with a vet PG.

Not even if we were able unload Lorenzen and/or someone like Lue? I know we'd optimally like to move Speedy, but who's gonna' take that contract without us taking something back?

• Moderators

Quote:

dont the Hawks have about $12m of room under the cap? No doubt the team could offload at least one player to increase this too... I think Darko might be available for say $10m per year.

No. We don't have much room under the cap anymore. There were some posts on this about 2 weeks ago if you want to get the hard numbers.

What does Orlando need that we might be willing to part with?

BTW, if anyone knows where that thread is for the hard figures on the cap room, would you please post a link. I looked through about 15 pages of threads and didn't see it. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Quote:

What does Orlando need that we might be willing to part with?

BTW, if anyone knows where that thread is for the hard figures on the cap room, would you please post a link. I looked through about 15 pages of threads and didn't see it. Thanks in advance.

Here is one post from our resident cap expert:

Out of Cap Space

Thanks. I remember that thread now, but couldn't remember exactly what was said in it (heck, I even posted a comment in it).

I guess a SNT is our only option then.

I think they might be interested in Zaza. Zaza would seem to pair up well with Howard in the frontcourt. Grant Hill needs a replacement, and I'd be selling Childress.

Zaza/Childress for SNT Darko. Depends on what Darko resigns for - i would say something starting at 7-8 mil would be reasonable. Zaza+Childress = 6.9 mil, and we have plenty of other filler if needed (AJ or Lo)

Crit/JJ/Smoove/Yi/Darko

+Craig/Lue/Slim/Marvin/Shelden/Solo

not too shabby

What do you guys think it would take to get Varejeo?

How about this?

Orlando gets: Josh Childress/Lorenzen Wright for Darko in SNT

Orlando would have:

Nelson/Arroyo/Dooling

Childress/Bogans/Reddick

Turkoglu/Garrity/Ariza

Howard/Augustine

Battie/Wright

Atlanta would have:

Speedy/Draft/Lue

JJ/AJ/Slim

Smoove/Marvin

Yi/Shelden

Darko/ZaZa/Jones

Would Childress/Wright (expiring contract) be enough in a SNT? Is Orlando going to spend the money to keep Darko around long-term? Someone proposed ZaZa and Chillz, but that seems like alot to give up for Darko?

After some careful reconsideration of this deal and realizing I failed to account for Orlando's 3 second round draft picks, would Orlando accept this deal and would it work financially for both teams?

Atlanta trades Chillz/Wright/#11 pick

Orlando trades Darko Millicic (SNT $7.5 million per)

Atlanta drafts Mike Conley, Jr. @ #3

Orlando drafts Al Thornton @ #11 (Grant Hill replacement and popular in Florida)

Orlando drafts Glen "Big Baby" Davis @ #39

Orlando drafts Mark Gasol @ #44

Orlando drafts D.J. Strawberry @ #54

Orlando would then have:

Nelson/Arroyo/Dooling

Childress/Reddick/Bogans/Strawberry

Turkoglu/Thornton/Garrity

Howard/Augustine

Battie/Wright/Davis/Gasol

Thornton could be Grant Hill's replacement and can play multiple positions. They would get Howard some much needed help inside by adding Davis' size and fight as well as Gasol's size and hopes he can turn into as good a player as his brother. They're loaded with backup quality at SG, but Chillz gives them energy and they could field a small/quick lineup of

Nelson

Chillz

Turk

Thornton

Howard

Altanta would fill 2 needs without sacrificing the future. They'd actually be better built for the future by losing a bad contract (Lo Wright). They've got a core of players that can continue to grow with each other for many seasons. This also gives you a shotblocking presence should you not be able to re-sign Smoove.

Conley/Speedy/Lue

JJ/AJ/Slim

Marvin

Smoove/Shelden

Darko/ZaZa/Jones

We could have some variations of that lineup should we need better defense

Speedy

JJ

Smoove

Shelden

Darko