• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is encouraging about Marvin...

DavidSomerset

I was browsing through Carmelo Anthony's stats for no reason in particular, and ran across his numbers earlier in his career, and decided to compare them to Marvin's.

Here were Carmelo's stats his 2nd year in the league (bolded categories he was better):

- .431 FG%

- .266 3Pt FG%

- .796 FT%

- .9 steals/game

- .4 bpg

- 5.7 rpg

- .866 assist to turnover ratio

- 20.8 ppg

Here were Marvin's stats last year (bolded categories he was better):

- .433 FG%

- .244 3 point %

- .815 FT%

- .8 steals/game

- .5 bpg

- 5.3 rpg

- .95 assist to turnover ratio

- 13.1 ppg

The main reason I started this topic was to point out the shooting %...Last year, it seemed to me like Marvin had SO many 2/10 games shooting the ball, and I was really down on his ability as a pure shooter, even though I think he has almost perfect form on his jump shot.

When I saw Anthony's FG % his second year in the league, I was honestly very surprised that it was even worse than Marvin's.

Of course Marvin isn't able to score at will yet like Carmelo can, but given more chances this year, maybe he really is going to start revving up his ppg totals.

Hopefully the 3rd year is to Marvin as it is to so many other players when the light seems to come on, and their game really opens up.

Particularly if we get our hands on someone like Conley, MW is going to be getting a lot of open looks...I'm looking foward to seeing him improve in all those categories!

The great thing about Marvin is that he is truly an elite level athlete...When it comes to athleticism, he is on par with just about anyone.

He has the potential to be a very good defensive player (and I've seen flashes of that), and that is at least one facet of his game that I already consider him better than Anthony at.

Quote:

The great thing about Marvin is that he is truly an elite level athlete...When it comes to athleticism, he is on par with just about anyone.

No he's not, his athleticism was overrated coming out of college. Al Horford has just as high a vertical.

Smith, Green, Outlaw, Lebron, Dwight, Kobe, Tyrus, Vince have elite athleticism. Marvin is on par with someone like Pietrus, Richard Jefferon, and Jamal Crawford. That's not a knock on Marvin because I don't think athleticism is important as many make it out to be, I'm just saying he doesn't have elite athleticism.

I know its a Smoove compilation and Marvin looks bad in comparison, but check out his monster block around 1:03.

Also, his monster dunk on Camby shows his athleticism too (youtube search it). Same with his dunk on Smoove in a HS all-star game (search for that one too).

I think Marvin is defintaely athletic enough. Yall are right that he isnt in top teir with Smoove, Iggy, Amare, Nate Robinson, etc... but he is definately in the 2nd tier (Jefferson, Deng, etc.)

Quote:

I know its a Smoove compilation and Marvin looks bad in comparison, but check out his monster block around 1:03.

Also, his monster dunk on Camby shows his athleticism too (youtube search it). Same with his dunk on Smoove in a HS all-star game (search for that one too).

I think Marvin is defintaely athletic enough. Yall are right that he isnt in top teir with Smoove, Iggy, Amare, Nate Robinson, etc... but he is definately in the 2nd tier (Jefferson, Deng, etc.)

IF you wanna see some Amazing blocked shots ..check out this video

I was that game were he chases down Keith Van horn on the fastbreak grin.gif

• Premium Member

Marvin's problem is his complete lack of aggression on offense. He has shown zero aggression in two years and in his one year in UNC. He is very content to let the ball come to him and to sit back and lob up jump shots that seem to get blocked 35% of the time.

Marvin will never reach a Carmello level (or higher) unless he starts attacking the rim, demanding the ball and forcing contact to send him to the charity stripe. He has the physical tools but unless his heart and mind is into it he will never be what he was projected to be.

Carmelo had a very disappointing second NBA season. He improved greatly this past season though.

Biggest problem with Marvin is his seeming lack of desire. He just doesn't have the natural drive and aggressiveness like a Carmelo Anthony.

I also wonder if he will be able to improve his numbers significantly when you factor in that the Hawks will likely be adding two more lottery picks to the roster who will need time.

Of course Marvin could improve dramatically. The one thing that is clear is that some highly drafted forward on the Hawks roster this season will disappoint because there won't be enough minutes to go around.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You took the words right out of my mouth. His potential to be elite is one thing but his desire to be elite is another issue. His physical tools says Carmelo but his heart/head says Derrick McKey.

I will be honest: I can not recall one instance of where a player was soft or not aggressive and actually overcame that. Its like combo guards in the NBA that come out of college as undersized shooting guards forced to play PG: it never works. Never. You are either born (or coached into it early on) a point guard or you are not. Jason Terry taught us that.

The same applies with aggression. You either are or you are not. Marvin will never be anything but an average NBA starter if that unless he changes. And I honestly don't see that ever changing.

We only have to look as far as our current All Star to see a shining example. JJ is FAR more aggressive now than he was when he came into the league. LeBron and Vince Carter are examples as well. So is KG.

That said, whether or not Marvin becomes more aggressive remains to be seen. I thought he made tremendous strides last summer and then he broke his hand. He came back from the injury fairly aggressive and then he re-injured the hand in a fall. After that, he was not aggressive at all for about 2 months before getting some of the aggressivenss back in March and April. I think that Marvin CAN become more aggressive and he has shown the ability to do so.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We only have to look as far as our current All Star to see a shining example. JJ is FAR more aggressive now than he was when he came into the league. LeBron and Vince Carter are examples as well. So is KG.

That said, whether or not Marvin becomes more aggressive remains to be seen. I thought he made tremendous strides last summer and then he broke his hand. He came back from the injury fairly aggressive and then he re-injured the hand in a fall. After that, he was not aggressive at all for about 2 months before getting some of the aggressivenss back in March and April. I think that Marvin CAN become more aggressive and he has shown the ability to do so.

Actually not one of the players you mentioned was ever tabbed as soft or not aggressive. Joe Johnson played in a system in Phoenix were he was asked to be a spot up shooter and one of the main reasons he left was to establish his complete game here.

Marvin has had chance after chance at UNC and in Atlanta to be that complete aggressive player and he refuses to do so. Lebron has never lacked for aggresion, ditto with Carter dating back to his UNC days. Garnett was asked to be the man in Minnesota as soon as he was the starter. So again, no lack of aggression in any of those.

Quote:

Quote:

IF you wanna see some Amazing blocked shots ..check out this video

I was that game were he chases down Keith Van horn on the fastbreak grin.gif

nice