Make a move for O'Neal

phoostal

Let's go after Jermaine O'Neal. As long as we don't give up a lot. Let's say Shelden, Zaza, AJ, and another expiring contract if need be.

I know he is on the downside of his career, however he still has three to five years left of good play. In the east he is still a force.

I'm not advocating breaking the bank to get him, but since Indiana is eager to dump him, why not. I think expiring contracts and a young guy is better than what the Lakers are offering. Especially if you want to rebuild.

P

You want a guy who isn't a #1 option on a winning team that will be getting paid close to $20M for 3 more years? This is the most I'd even consider offering if for some reason our FO actually thought acquiring JO was a good idea.

Zaza Pachulia

Shelden Williams

Tyronn Lue

Salim Stoudamire

Speedy Claxton

for

Jermaine O'neal

Darrell Armstrong

....works on the tradechecker.

--------------------------------------------------------

Law / AJ / Armstrong

Johnson / Childress

Marvin / Childress

Smith / Horford / Jones

O'neal / Horford / Wright

I just think that JO is super overrated. I won't pay $20M for a guy who probably won't play more than 60 games.

---------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't necessarily say Indiana is eager to get rid of him. If so, they could have gotten Bynum/Brown (expiring) or RJ/Krstic. That is more than anything I'd be willing to give.

I really don't call what we are giving up, much at all. I guess some of us have high value for AJ, Zaza, Shelden, and Claxton. To me it's a no brainer.

O'Neal or keep four average players. Really no risk and it could be high rewards. You talk like O'Neal is horrible, he has just been injured the last couple of years.

I say roll the dice, personally I would think Indiana would want more. However, if they didn't we should do it.

P

zaza/shelden are both young and promising; it's not like they are 30 and average

zaza is 22 and u can't name 15-20 better centers than him and he's only gonna improve

shelden was rookie of the month the final month once his shoulder healed; in early part of the year, he was in consideration for roy while leading all rookies in rebounding, before he hurt his shoulder

o'neal doesn't wanna play center and is an inefficient post scorer and is oft-injured and makes way too much

i might give up one young piece, but not 2, for him

Just say no to these HUGE contracts folks. We don't need these players and they hamstring the franchise, esp next year when we have to re-sign Smith.

The two guys that we should consider, Amare and Gasol, aren't being traded. To make any other move, esp for these guys making 20 million is not a good move.

I like Zaza, but he isn't going to be the answer down the road. It's Horford who we drafted that is the future.

Zaza's contract I believe is up after this year or the next, we aren't going to break the bank to keep him. You have to keep that in mind.

Please don't have another person tell me about Shelden's rookie of the month award. He is a soft player that was a mistake to draft at 5. I'm not saying we should have drafted Roy or anyone else. But, I do know we shouldn't have drafted the softie from Duke.

That last month is garbage time for most teams. Teams are wrapping up their season or resting guys for the playoffs. There are few that are playing hard unless their playoff lives depend on it. Shelden is not the answer. Once again he will be sitting on the bench behind Horford. He is no where near the talent of Horford.

So we have Zaza that we aren't going to break the bank for and Williams who sits on the bench. Along with Claxton and AJ. For O'Neal an all star in a weak eastern conference.

I guess I'm retarded for wanting O'Neal over those four winners we have on the team.

P

Its not about the talent, its about the contract. The Hawks can't go over the cap without involving Belkin, who will nix any deal that puts the Hawks over the cap. JO is injured way too often and doesn't play center> that is a bad fit for this Hawks team, esp after the draft. 20 million is a ton, about a third of the cap in a single player. No way we can justify taking that on.

How many years does O'Neal have left?

Remember we still will have Wright, Lue, Salim, Childress, and Smith's contracts coming off the books next year. This should give us room to resign Smith and Childress or sign one and trade one.

And this is with doing the trade of Zaza, Shelden, AJ, and Claxton.

Listen if Indiana is not willing to do it for those four, then don't do it. I just don't think it is a big loss losing those guys.

Cap room would be my only concern. Not losing those four guys.

P