Drafting Shelden Williams...

CBAreject

I think everyone's expectations were to be to high for Sheldon.

I think he can be a 10pts/9 rebound guys who can defend the center position on some nights.

He is a draft bust if you are hoping for 17pts/11 boards 2 blocks per game.

Not a star just a contributor.

Quote:

Was like going all in with pocket deuces preflop.

Discuss.

Rephrase your sentence without the completely played-out poker metaphors and we can answer?

there were two misjudgments:

1) the judgment that Shelden could be the complete low post presence the Hawks need. at best, he's a solid rebounder who can also contribute 8-10 points

2) using a top 5 pick on him. no one had him projected that high, and there was no reason for ATL to pick him that high. EVEN IF the Hawks felt strongly about him, they could have traded down 3-4 spots and still have easily picked him up.

but alas, both misjudgments were made, and so he will always be judged by standards that likely exceed his contribution. it doesn't mean he has nothing to contribute and THAT should be the focus now: how to maximize what he does offer.

Amen,

When you look at it, it's actually a stretch to say Sheldon was taken way early, come on what's 3 spots from the 5 position. The rumor was he wasn't going until later but who knows what would have actually happen. Its not like a GM is going to fess up at this point and say how much he liked Sheldon. There were tons of duds drafted after Sheldon.

Brandon Roy taken at 6 is a Shooting Guard which is Joe's postion. Foye is kindof a combo guard and beside that there wasn't much available that wouldn't have been a reach.

I would say Sheldon was a bit of a reach, but just take a look at all the duds after him. Obryant at 9, Sene at 10, the list just keeps going on from there.

In hindsight trading the pick probably made the most sense.